Author Topic: Dumbest thing...  (Read 2556 times)

Offline David0408

Dumbest thing...
« on: February 23, 2019, 11:13:13 PM »
Hey,
Started carrying for the first time about a month ago. I didn?t tell my wife. I thought it would be fun to see how long I could carry before she caught on. I woke up, put on my gun, carried all day, took it off and went to bed. Four weeks of carry and nothing. Until today. I got up to light the coals to grill a chicken and my wife says ?why the hell are you carrying a gun?? She said she was embarrassed for me. Said I was an idiot. Started crying!
Until about 5 years ago I would have agreed with her. I never understood why anyone would feel the need to carry a gun. I feel different now and I?ll spare you the reasons why. She has me doubting myself, but CC seems like the dumbest smartest thing I can do now. Tomorrow is a new day. I?m going to wake up, put on my gun, carry all day, take it off and go to bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Earl Keese

Re: Dumbest thing...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 11:57:03 PM »
 It's a shame that she had that reaction. Keep carrying and keeping your family safe, you're doing the right thing.
 My wife was supportive from the start, though early on she questioned my zeal. Over time, it has become just another part of our daily routine. She expects it from me and finds comfort in it. I only wish she would carry all of the time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 12:04:06 AM »
I hate to presume to give a man relationship advice, as I am no expert by any means, but I might start with a sit down explanation on why you are making it easier to protect your family. Were you a gun owner before you were married?
BTW, keeping secrets from the wife = bad juju, that much I can tell you.

Offline motorcyclist

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 12:34:47 AM »
My wife carries her own.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 05:23:48 AM »
OP, keep on carrying it. 

Practice with it.

Take your wife to the range and let her shoot a gun (one that she can handle that won't ruin the experience for her.)  Whenever you run across the appropriate articles in magazines, newspapers, the internet, read them to her.  Articles where people got hurt/killed when the outcome could have been different if they were carrying and knew how to use it.

I didn't EDC or conceal carry for several years.  Nevery had an issue with anyone at/near my currect address - but, things can go south so quickly that you'll be lucky to be alive when it's over.

My mom and dad moved back to WV in 1975 when he retired from the Air Force.  Way back up in a holler where the railroad built some houses in 1917 or 1918.  I used to tell my buddies in the Army you drove till the hard road ended, then take the right hand dirt road, at the end of the dirt road you were there.  There's only five of the original eleven houses left.  Only two of the original houses are lived in (well, three soon).

One day a car a couple years ago a car pulled up in front of my mom's house and three people got out and went into the house across the street where a single mom lived with her daughter.  People get visiters, even from out of state.

Within 30 minutes the black vans, black SUVs, WV State Police cars/SUVs and men in/out of uniform with dogs, shotguns and rifles were in the road, running all over the area. 

Fortunately, the three bank robbers that had been on the run since that morning (robbed a bank in Maryland or Virginia, I don't remember where) gave up without a fight once they saw the number of armed officers surrounding the house.

How did they end up there?  One of them knew the single mom's boyfriend. 

Things can go south so quick these days.  The best thing you can do for your family is to be ready and to get them on your side.

One more story.  My youngest son lives about 12 miles from us.  One morning they woke up to the sound of helicopters flying around above their house and police cars running up/down the road in front of their house.  A guy just a couple miles away had murdered his wife, his wife's new boyfriend, dragged the boyfriends body out into the woods and set the body on fire and then run off into the woods.  Took the police several days to catch him (he was seen in various places but actually caught less than 10 miles from the scene of the crime.  You never know who might be walking/sneaking around your property or how desperate they might be.

If I walk out my door, whether it's to go to the garage, let the dogs out for a walk/treat, to get the mail, take the garbage cans around to the road - or any reason - my pistol is on my side with an extra magazine in a pouch on my belt.  Sometimes open carry - this time of the year, but concealed carry in the summer.  You never know.

The only person you can depend on to protect yourself and your family is YOU.  So be ready.  Accept that, and be ready.  If nothing every happens, be thankful.  But be ready.  You may not get a second chance.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 05:44:19 AM »
My wife knew from day one that I owned guns and carried.We've had discussions on the reasons why and between those conversations and the obvious state of the world today she fully understand the reasoning.
If you see me I'm armed and there's always a gun within reach pretty much were ever I'm at.

Offline arthurstearl

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 06:48:49 AM »
My wife doesn't like it but she understands why that's all I need.

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk

Offline Phlyers13

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 08:53:34 AM »
On a side note, it sounds like you may need to assess your rig/cover up. If she noticed you carrying, chances are others will as well.  Or it may just be you lost your own awareness. Either way it?s a good opportunity to sure things up.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 09:10:23 AM »
My wife isn't thrilled about how often I go to the range, or when I put newspaper and a rubber mat on the coffee table and detail strip my guns there, but she doesn't mind me actually carrying a gun at all.  In fact she encouraged me to get my carry license again after we moved to a new state.

Her main concern is when we're on a long road trip, she prefers that I'm armed, because that is where she perceives danger.  In reality I carry all the time, all around the local area, any time I am not in a posted gun-free zone.  When I can't conceal my P-07 IWB with my wardrobe, or need to disarm in the car to enter gun-free zones, then I pocket carry a smaller gun.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 10:32:06 AM »
My wife originally didn?t ?appreciate? me carrying all the time. Then her sister and brother in law got mugged, beaten and robbed.  Then another of her friends came home from work and ?surprised? a burglar in the house, and got punched in the face for her trouble.  Both incidents in ?good? neighborhoods.  She learned to shoot and hasn?t questioned my decision since.  Once crime becomes ?up close and personal?, it?s truly amazing how quickly opinions change.

Keep carrying.

Offline Beak Boater

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
I think that is something I would have talked about with my wife before I started it. The decision would still be mine to carry or not but I would know her feelings about it.
From her comments you posted she is not pro gun and doesn't understand the need to be. As others have commented you will need to point out the positives about safety and protection, but you will have a long road to get their it would seem.
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline ZanderMan

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 12:52:56 PM »
My wife isn?t pro-gun, and I get a lot of reminders from her about how it?s too easy to buy a gun.

That said, I bought my first pistol as home protection when we moved to a more rural area (and there have been violent break-ins within a few miles of us), then qualified for CCW and bought my second pistol for carry.

Used to not carry much (work won?t allow it and it?s not worth my getting fired over), but she has gotten accustomed to it. She has mentioned that she feels safe when I?m carrying, despite her general attitude toward guns. I think I?ve helped her realize that there are many many responsible gun owners around who can?t be stigmatized by the few nut jobs who should never have been given access to guns in the first place.

She went to the range with me once, but it?s also an agreement in our marriage that I never pressure her to carry herself. It?s her choice as an adult, not mine. I would like her to know how to handle different types of guns safely and make them safe if necessary, but I?m not gonna push it.
Used to own a CZ Jawa...

Offline Crossfaced

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 02:08:08 PM »
My wife was anti gun when I met her. She was anti gun when we married. Fortunately she now understands the necessity and has since embraced carrying a concealed weapon.

Tell your wife what I told my wife. She understood from that point on.

The day you decide to be my wife my responsibilities changed. My responsibility changed to be your protector. When you became the mother of my children my responsibilities changed again. I now have to protect the mother of my children... and my children. This is not my choice, this is my duty. I carry a firearm because I do not have the luxury to choose the time and place to be your protector.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 03:54:01 PM »
Had a girlfriend years ago who was vehemently anti gun.There was no reasoning with her position on any level. Finally she said one evening either my guns had to go or she could not continue the relationship.
I replied that I would remember her everytime I cleaned my guns.

Offline thedude

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 05:12:12 PM »
Tomorrow is a new day. I?m going to wake up, put on my gun, carry all day, take it off and go to bed.

Good man!  ;)

anything