Author Topic: Longest Background Check Ever?  (Read 6727 times)

Offline HollowDawg

Re: Longest Background Check Ever?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 03:30:04 PM »
Fingers Crossed for ya! Bureaucratic insanity. Ya can't fix stupid, but ya can turn it into a government!

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 07:15:45 PM »
I am in Georgia, and this is my first firearm purchase. 

I live in Georgia too. My advice is to get a carry permit.

Do you have a GA Weapons Carry Licence ??  Did you present the License during the purchase ??

The answer to both must be "No", because the WCL allows you to skip a lot of the paperwork and other background fiddling, because it's 99% completed at the time when the permit is issued.

Your name may be similar to a convicted felon or other miscreant. I'm with Mr Dawg, apply for a WCL. During future purchases you'll be out of the store in 10 minutes.

;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:19:23 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Duke Nukem

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 02:21:27 PM »
I am in Georgia, and this is my first firearm purchase. 

I live in Georgia too. My advice is to get a carry permit.

Do you have a GA Weapons Carry Licence ??  Did you present the License during the purchase ??

The answer to both must be "No", because the WCL allows you to skip a lot of the paperwork and other background fiddling, because it's 99% completed at the time when the permit is issued.

Your name may be similar to a convicted felon or other miscreant. I'm with Mr Dawg, apply for a WCL. During future purchases you'll be out of the store in 10 minutes.

;)

You are correct, the answer is no on both counts. 

I have now applied for my carry permit and (finally) learned that the root problem is a charge from my youth that had been dropped, but the disposition of the charge isn't showing up for the background checks.  I've started the process of getting all the information unearthed and reflected by the system, we'll see if I can handle it without having to hire a lawyer.

While it was frustrating to learn that I have to deal with a problem created by my own stupidity as well as poor record management 45 years ago, at least I now know what the problem is and I can attempt to get it straight.

Offline Duke Nukem

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 04:11:19 PM »
 :(  So nobody can find the records . . . has anybody else have any experience with a similar situation?  Best guess is it went to the DA's office and never came out.

One suggestion I saw online was to request the record be expunged, write a letter requesting the state to clear it.  That's a maybe, someday. 

Georgia is supposed to be the second worst state in the nation for keeping arrest records but not disposition records.  I saw a non-profit that helps people trying to get a job or find housing to resolve these issues, not sure they would help someone in my situation but they might recommend a course of action.  Maybe contact someone at the NRA?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 04:54:20 PM »
I think it would be in your best interest to contact a lawyer. If they turned you down to buy a gun then they are more than likely going to deny your application for a gun permit.

Offline adrian

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 05:40:28 PM »
     Hiya and thx for sharing your dilemma and most interesting thread. Being a anglo,born in cleveland, no incarcerations of over a year, no drug addictions, domestic violence arrests, etc, qualified for my carry permit and kinda appreciated that little piece of laminated card allowed me to not have to wait for the few dozen guns over the years. And sounds like you only have days left to discover if you will find your carry license in the mail,best of luck. Be well.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:51:20 PM by adrian »

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 06:46:38 PM »

Sounds like you are a law abiding,tax paying adult and if you get snuffed yet again, hope you find what you are looking for in local buy and sell ads. I've come to find that meeting at a lane at a local indoor range provided an ideal spot to discuss a private sale. Suggest the,undercover ATF presence at all gun/trade shows might be best avoided. Best of luck. Be well.

He is currently as it seems prohibited from ownership of firearms and no matter how we may view the situation giving him advice on how to skirt the current laws and obtain a firearm is a horrible thing to do. Possession of a weapon at this point could lead to far more legal problems of which could result in charges that could not be easily expunged. He needs to follow this through proper legal channels and get the records straightened out.
Giving advice like this on an open forum that can be read by anybody is also very irresponsible.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:59:06 PM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Ron M.

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 07:50:58 PM »

Sounds like you are a law abiding,tax paying adult and if you get snuffed yet again, hope you find what you are looking for in local buy and sell ads. I've come to find that meeting at a lane at a local indoor range provided an ideal spot to discuss a private sale. Suggest the,undercover ATF presence at all gun/trade shows might be best avoided. Best of luck. Be well.

He is currently as it seems prohibited from ownership of firearms and no matter how we may view the situation giving him advice on how to skirt the current laws and obtain a firearm is a horrible thing to do. Possession of a weapon at this point could lead to far more legal problems of which could result in charges that could not be easily expunged. He needs to follow this through proper legal channels and get the records straightened out.
Giving advice like this on an open forum that can be read by anybody is also very irresponsible.

Thanks for saying what absolutely needed to be said.

Offline Duke Nukem

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 08:52:58 AM »

Quite right, I have no interest in skirting the law, I'm hoping to find a way through this, and end up with the clean record I should be enjoying now. 
The existence of an arrest record immediately colors me with guilt in the eyes of many, even though I was not guilty.  Getting it cleared up at the time was easy, dealing with this so many years later seems much more difficult, I hope it's possible.

Offline Duke Nukem

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 10:02:54 AM »
Ah, good news at last!  Thanks to some very helpful people in the court system, and one lady in particular that just didn't give up, they found the paperwork this morning and are going to update my records.  Hallelujah!

Offline HollowDawg

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 03:11:50 PM »
Congrats on surviving the bureaucracy !!

Ron M.

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 05:52:46 PM »
Excellent news, hopefully you'll have your pistol soon.

Offline Duke Nukem

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 08:55:35 AM »
Excellent news, hopefully you'll have your pistol soon.
Congrats on surviving the bureaucracy !!

Thanks guys! 

This is one thread I'm glad to see end, but I hope to contribute elsewhere on the forum when I can.

Offline motorolanut

• “Character is what you are in the dark.”
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 01:47:49 PM »
Thank God here in WV the 4473 processing takes less than 15 minutes in most places.  Sorry the op had such a bad experience/ long wait in his state. 
Virtue has united, death shall not separate

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 04:24:57 PM »
Thank God here in WV the 4473 processing takes less than 15 minutes in most places.  Sorry the op had such a bad experience/ long wait in his state.

The process is fast and easy (or as easy as it can be) in most place. The OP had a records issue that needed to be cleared up before he could pass the 4473 background check. Glad too see it was finally resolved in his favor as it appears.