Author Topic: Safety detent purpose (dumb question?)  (Read 164 times)

Offline Eargesplitten

Safety detent purpose (dumb question?)
« on: February 26, 2019, 03:48:08 PM »
I was struggling putting my 85 back together, the detents were starting to jam up. Not sure if I didn't clean the hoppes off well enough and it started sticking or what, maybe I just need a new probe because this one is getting worn out. Then I realized that I don't even need to use the detents to pull the safeties out, just to put them back in. What's the actual purpose? Will the safeties walk out over time if they aren't in there? Seems like a part that makes it harder to put the gun back together but does nothing to hold it together is kind of pointless, so unless it's going to catastrophically destroy something I'm considering experimenting with not even having them in there.

Offline Tok36

Re: Safety detent purpose (dumb question?)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 06:35:11 PM »
Please do not remove your safety detents.  :)

In my experience it is not uncommon that one needs to retract the safety detents for both removing the safety levers and for reinstalling the safety levers. I retract them for both operations, It is possible that they only catch in some cases and i have not noticed do to my habit of always retracting them

To my knowledge the safety detents serve one main purpose. They hold tension on the safety levers so that they are not floppy. You do not want to have floppy safety levers  ;D

To remove the safety detents would also jeopardize the function of the safety mechanism of the pistol. This is not a reasonable thing to do. An interesting question though, thank you for the post.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:58:20 AM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Mick-S

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 08:13:51 PM »
I never need to retract the detent to remove the safety on either my SP-01 Shadow or my compact shadow line. Just lift the sear spring and pull the safety out. Not sure if the 85 is different but that's the way my 75's work.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 07:59:21 AM »
Seems like at least one of the detents on my Pre B CZ85 has to be pushed to the rear to get the safety (left side I think) pushed into place.  I think the sear cage holds the detents in the frame rail/slot but I use a small pick between the two little projections on the top of the detent to push it to the rear when pushing the safety into place.

Don't forget about the sear spring.  It's sort of in the way, too.  Or is that just when inserting the right side safety lever?

Seconding the need for the springs/detents - that's what keeps the cam on the left side safety shaft under the forward arm on the sear - meaning, keeps the hammer from falling if the trigger is pulled.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Eargesplitten

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 02:33:53 PM »
Yeah, I have a buddy who shoots some CZ or another (I forget what model) in USPSA and he told me that those are what keep the safety in place under recoil. Pretty obvious now that I think about the notches on the sides of the safety.

Unfortunately, on the left-side one the little nub you press against snapped when I was reinstalling yesterday, so now I'm down to one of two. I hope that's enough to keep it in place, I'm really tired of stuff keeping me from the range. Worst case at the range it puts itself on safe, right? Or am I missing something else? I've tested under dry fire and even squeezing on the trigger almost as hard as I can while on safe it's not going anywhere. I don't know if yanking hard on the trigger on safe risks breaking anything, hopefully not. I guess I have to make yet another parts order for a replacement that hopefully won't stick as badly as that one did. I'll clean out the channel with some hoppes, wipe clean with a bore patch, and maybe wipe a bit of lube in there with a toothbrush when I put the new one in.

I didn't know when I bought this thing that CZs have a reputation for being very difficult to work on, but now I see why. TRS pain aside (I snipped a bit of a small hex key off to make a slave pin) just getting the safeties back in is a real hassle. At least it's better than the Pre-B model's magical evaporating safety detent.

I don't carry this or anything, it's just for range use. Should I be good to go with only one detent in? It's still snapping positively into place, and the detent that's still working is on the right side, which is the safety I use as a lefty.

Are there any improved models that have a stronger nub or are easier to get back in for any other reason? I'm willing to drop an extra couple bucks in this case if it's just the difference between a $4.50 part and a $10 part, since it's something you have to do every time you do anything on the pistol beyond field stripping. Or maybe a slightly taller nub, although I'm not sure if that's even possible without interfering with the slide motion. I think it might not be.

It's a '91 manufacture, hopefully that's why it broke. Once I have a bit more money I'm going to be replacing the hammer spring and possibly installing the RP-TRS, the magazine catch spring and lifter spring look brand new. Possibly they broke already and got replaced.

Don't forget about the sear spring.  It's sort of in the way, too.  Or is that just when inserting the right side safety lever?

The sear spring definitely keeps the left-side safety in place too during installation/removal, it exerts enough downward pressure that you can't get it out practically without lifting up the spring. I have no idea about during operation, I haven't taken the sear cage apart so I haven't seen what moves where and how.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:40:25 PM by Eargesplitten »