Author Topic: 1st time out w/the Scorpion - Range Report  (Read 1445 times)

Offline 1000RR

1st time out w/the Scorpion - Range Report
« on: March 03, 2019, 08:27:42 PM »
Got my Scorpion a week and a half ago, quite a bit of mods done to it already and today was it's first range date.  Performed as I had hoped... 300 rounds later - flawless!! 

First part of the [indoor] range visit was getting my EO Tech sighted in.  Initially I sighted it in at 25yrds and that put the bottom of my reticle [circle] at ~7rds.  Then 10 was somewhere between that and the red dot.  It was way too much thinking and believe more of my shooting will be 15yrds and in.  So I re-zeroed at 15yrds and that put me about 1.5" low at 7yrds and about 1" low at 10yrds.  That's easier for me.  And even out to 25 I'm still less than 2" POA to POI.   Shooting all the way out to 100yrds is manageable as well (according to ballistic calcs)... although that will be a rarity. 

The bummer on the day was my EO Tech finally succumbed to the dreaded "Reticle Fade".  Not bad given it's 15yrs old.  But still a bummer.  I sent in a request to them to see what they will charge me to fix it.  We'll see what happens there.  The good news was I Co-Witnessed my new Magpull MBUS Pros (flip-ups) so sighting the EO Tech after it comes back or if I buy a new one will be pretty quick this go around.

It was great that this indoor range allows rapid fire so having fun with the Scorpion was not a problem  8)

Offline 00goobs

Re: 1st time out w/the Scorpion - Range Report
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 09:22:19 PM »
Awesome report! It's great when gear is working and sights are on target. I really love shooting my Scorpion. I'm hoping to have metal silhouette targets next range day out! Also,  shooting suppressed subsonic 9mm at an indoor range, priceless.....

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 09:48:15 PM »
I'm looking forward to shooting suppressed... just waiting on my tax stamp to come back (maybe by xmas?).   The twist though is that my LGS I bought my suppressor from will let you shoot it at their indoor range once it's paid off.  So I may just have to bite the bullet and pay it off and go have fun.  I've got a gun cleaning fetish though and I wouldn't be able to take my suppressor home with me to be cleaned  :-\

Offline 00goobs

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 09:59:46 PM »
You'll have a lot to clean,  hehehe. I had anxiety cleaning the Scorpion unsupressed....

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 10:14:35 PM »
300-400 rounds suppressed make it a LOT dirtier then unsuppressed?  You still pretty much just clean the same way or do you take the bolt apart or anything?  I took the bolt apart the other day and it didn't seem too bad.  This afternoon after the 300 I put through it, I didn't... just cleaned it up in general. 

Offline sboone

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 10:49:49 PM »
Scorpion wont require much maintenance, or much cleaning.  Ive got around 1k through mine almost exclusively suppressed and most I do is wipe it down with oil rag inside the receiver and mayne run a brush through the barrel.

The thing about suppressing guns is the back pressure will blow carbon into places it wouldnt otherwise go and will do it 100x as fast.  If anything when your shooting, have say...3? dedicated range mags that you use suppressed, my only failures were gunked up mags because carbon was blown back into them and eventually froze the follower in place one day.  It almost seems to me that it is more important to clean mags than the gun itself to guarentee reliability.  The bolt cycling is enough force and shock to remove carbon from the gun but the mags will trap it inside

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »
I've never shot or been around suppressed shooting so this will be a new experience all the way around.  Good to know on the Mags... that's something that gets neglected by most folks most of the time anyway.  Will have to begin taking those apart when I clean after running suppressed.  I plan to get a sonic cleaner for the baffles of the suppressor so maybe I'll just take the mags apart at the same time and drop them in too.

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 11:09:55 AM »
Depending on the materials of the baffles (aluminum) there are certain things that you do NOT want to clean them with because they damage the material over the long term.  Simple green being one of them.  And a few become toxic ("the dip").

Dawn dishwashing detergent and warm water in an ultrasonic cleaner does alright.

I often clean my baffles in a brass tumbler and walnut media.  And unless you're shooting non-jacketed or non-coated lead, you wont' really have anything to worry about other than simple powder fouling anyway.

Thanks for the insight John.  As I mentioned, shooting suppressed is a new adventure for me, so I'm definitely all ears to tips and tricks!  All the baffles are 17-4 SS (Sig SRD45).

I very much doubt I'll be shooting anything other than FMJ's except when I run some of my duty ammo through just for testing (Federal HST).

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »
Sounds good, Thanks John!

Offline dale5150

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 01:54:13 PM »
That can looks pretty good after all of that use!

anything