Author Topic: Remington 1187-Tactical Shotgun Conversion  (Read 730 times)

Offline Hrfunk

Remington 1187-Tactical Shotgun Conversion
« on: March 04, 2019, 07:24:07 AM »
Hi all! I finally had some time this past weekend to tackle a little "tactical" gunsmithing project I've had on the back burner for a while. Check out the video to see how it turned out, and be sure to let me know what you think of it!

Howard

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Remington 1187-Tactical Shotgun Conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 08:28:00 AM »
What distance were you shooting?  Looked like the shot cups/wads were hitting the target/paper, too.  Just adding insult to injury. 

When I converted mine (probably 5 or 6 years ago) my 11-87 SP had round dimples in the magazine tube.  It looked like yours had sort of oval looking dimples.  I wonder why they changed?  That swaging tool you used should work with either style.

I took the route of drilling the bottom hole out and then inserting a long/thin punch through to use a hammer to remove the other side dimple.  You're right, I had to use the Dremel with a small sanding drum to remove the rough edges around the drilled hole on the inside of the magazine tube.

Makes a wicked looking shotgun.  Have you considered an RMR for the gun?  I've not put one on anything longer than a pistol, but I remember seeing the mounts/bases for the Burris red dots on shotguns.

Oh, mine already had a short barrel (21", I think, with screw in choke tubes) and a plain/dark wooden stock/forend.  I bought a Remington synthetic stock/forend for it to make it more of a rough use gun.

Then I gave it to my youngest son for some of the night time coyote hunting he was doing with a buddy.

They make nice "riot" guns.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 08:38:52 AM »
Yep they sure do! My distance was only about 25'. Since I was really just function testing it, I wasn't looking for any kind of long-range patterning. I have thought about some sort of red-dot for the 11-87, but I would have to get the receiver drilled and tapped for a rail. That's not a huge problem, but for the intended use of this shotgun (close-range defensive work with 00-buckshot), I don't know if it's really worth the hassle and expense. The tritium/fiber optic Tru Glo sight seems to work pretty well at "across the room" distances. Still, maybe someday I'll change my mind.

Howard

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 12:49:26 PM »
They (no idea now of the company name) used to make a scope mount for the 1100 and 870's that fit down overtop/around the sides of the receiver.  They used longer screws/pins and replaced the ones holding the trigger housing in the receiver.  The top was a rail.  No idea, again, if it was Weaver or Picatinny or how that might affect a red dot mount.

How'd the old shoulder feel after that many rounds of buckshot/slugs?
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 01:00:53 PM »
There is/are still rails like that made. Remington sells one directly. It mounts the sight higher over the receiver than I would prefer. If I go that route I'll probably have the receiver drilled & tapped for a pick mount. My shoulder feels fine. One nice thing about the 1187 is the gas system absorbs some of the recoil so it's a fairly soft-shooting shotgun.

Howard

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 01:25:18 PM »
Good video, I like a semi auto defensive shotgun.

Don't be so cheap. Put up a fresh target each time so we get the full effect of each different ammo. I know it was just a functional test but still....

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 02:34:11 PM »
Sorry. I was trying to get that part completed so I could get the video edited and posted.

Howard

Offline motorcyclist

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 09:02:19 PM »
With a torn rotator cuff in each shoulder, pump and O/U shotguns are not my favorites anymore. My trusty old 1100 got converted into the H.D. role.

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 08:47:43 AM »
That's a dandy of a shotgun. The 1100's look as good as they shoot. I can't really say the same for my flat black & plastic 1187!

Howard

Offline adrian

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 06:59:16 PM »
    Hiya and thanks for the thread Howard, excellent video content and editing. I also prefer the 12guage for HD, mines the Benelli 14' Entry and it was nice enough to have the rail and 7shot capacity included.Altho you prolly could have made three of yours to the cost of one of these. Also having some rotator issues as one operator mentioned, I removed the stock and padded the buffer tube and functions fine without resting any of it it the shoulder, would not say soft, slug or 00 shooter, but easily managed. Thanks again for sharing. Be well.

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 08:33:58 AM »
Thank you! I'm sure that Benelli is a fine shooter. The 1187 has a relatively soft recoil impulse for a 12 Gauge. The combination of its weight and the gas system seems to cushion it some. Even so, I would imagine it would still be a bit rough on your shoulder. I'm glad you were able to add the padding to yours!

Howard

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 03:35:13 PM »
Excellent detailed conversion Video.  8)  Very Nice Shotgun and may it serve you well!  :)
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline motorolanut

• “Character is what you are in the dark.”
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 06:36:34 PM »
Nice conversion, I used a Brownells swage on my mag tube as I am an old 870 man myself.  Another nice video thanks for posting.
Virtue has united, death shall not separate