Author Topic: 10X Bushing Life  (Read 675 times)

Offline dbarn

10X Bushing Life
« on: March 06, 2019, 12:26:03 PM »
For those who have a fairly high round count through their 10X bushings, is there a set number of rounds say 5000 where you would consider replacing, or do you just look at accuracy degrading?

Also curious if there has been any change in the way they are made from say 3-4 years ago. Thanks!

Offline schmeky

Re: 10X Bushing Life
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 01:09:46 PM »
We had one customer in CA that claimed to have 70,000 rounds through his SP-01 that had our bushing.  He said he checked the bushing ID every 10K rounds for wear. 

At 70K he said he could measure .0005" (half a thousand) of wear. 

However, we are not able to verify this.

Offline dbarn

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 02:24:58 PM »
Outstanding David, thank you.

Are the new ones any different than the older ones as far as dimensions or pretty much the same?

Offline schmeky

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 04:59:33 PM »
First small batch was very accurate and we got the heat treat correct right off the bat (RC 58).  We did throw away about 40% of the first small batch for imperfections, which was about 3 years ago.

Second batch was incredibly accurate on the +/- and were held to .0005". 

Online Tok36

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 08:37:01 PM »
Interesting thread.

I am curious what the muzzle OD variance of factory CZ barrels is.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Joe L

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 06:57:44 AM »
Interesting thread.

I am curious what the muzzle OD variance of factory CZ barrels is.

It has to be terrible for my 75B to go from a safe rat to a match gun with just the bushing swap.  It has to be in the 5 mil range or about 10 times what the CGW bushing is.  David can tell us what he has seen.  And mine was the worst one I've seen.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 07:02:53 AM »
An adequate amount of good lubricant should help it last longer.  It does with every other type of metal to metal friction/contact points that rub against each other.

I believe keeping it clean should help parts last longer (there's a reason for oil filters in gasoline/diesel engines).

Would having the barrel/bushing nitride help increase life?  It should, if we believe all the advertisements (not saying I don't, I just don't have experience with that myself.)

I shoot my CZ's first.  Some shoot like they don't need a bushing, some shoot like a bushing would help.  I do know that installation of the CGW bushing in my CZ Compact (the one converted to SAO) improved the accuracy.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline HollowDawg

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 08:34:54 AM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question but will a tighter fitting bushing cause greater wear on the exterior surfaces of the barrel? Seems like there would be more metal to metal contact the tighter the bushing. I grease the part of my barrels that ride through the bushing but still????

Offline dbarn

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 08:46:16 AM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question but will a tighter fitting bushing cause greater wear on the exterior surfaces of the barrel? Seems like there would be more metal to metal contact the tighter the bushing. I grease the part of my barrels that ride through the bushing but still????

I liken them to tight fitting 1911 parts. The parts wear in not out and usually get better with use.

An an aside I agree completely with David's statement as I have a bushing from about 3 years ago. While still an improvement, the ones that have been installed from the second batch as of late have made more of a positive effect on accuracy. They appear to be superbly made.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 07:10:19 AM »

It should very well rub off the finish more quickly.  My Tristar barrel shows it more pronounced than others.  The metal of the barrel itself, IDK.  What is more of a problem?  The barrel forced to slide tighrly against a 10x bushing or one bouncing/clanging through a larger ID bushing?  ;D. All I can say is I have 3 samples with the 10x bushing that are a joy to shoot, 2 of which absolutely benefited from the 10x bushing.  The Matte Stainless is superb accuracy wise with its stock bushing.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 07:16:28 AM by Tyerone »