Author Topic: Should I change the hammer on my P-01?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline SouperMan

Should I change the hammer on my P-01?
« on: March 09, 2019, 11:24:47 PM »
There seems to be two hammers that folks are running on a P-01, three if you count the original hammer.

There is the CZ Custom Decocker Hammer, which seems to be a modified CZ-UB Competition Hammer.

Then, there is the Cajun Gun Works Decocker Hammer, which is made in-house by Cajun Gun Works.

Primarily, my P-01 will be used for Self Defense/CCW, and the only modifications after a flawless 500 round break-in period was the Cajun Gun Works Short Reset System 1, to address the potential for the firing pin stop pin failure. The trigger pull weights feel respectable and fine, I just wish that the P-01 had a cleaner break, and debating whether a hammer upgrade is needed. I know some folks alter the hammer hook angles, but I am not sure if I want to go that route.

Offline badwrench

Re: Should I change the hammer on my P-01?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 01:12:55 PM »
I have a P01, and, frankly it's just about stock..I installed an extended firing pin, and spring, reduced power firing pin saftey block spring, reduced power trs, and a #15 hammer spring, everything else is stock.. I'm happy with it as it is, If you decide to swap hammers, you should do it before you get about 1000 rnds on the gun, otherwise you'll need to change the sear as well, this is what CGW told me, sear and hammer have to wear in together.

Offline CZHipster

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:38:19 PM »
I have the CGW defensive carry package on my P01, with the improved hammer.  It is awesome and a huge improvement over the original.  My only complaint is that it is pointed, not rounded like the stock version.  This hurts, on occasion,  if carrying appendix.  I get scratches and pokes all over my stomach with it.  I still carry it because it is an exceptional trigger pull, I just complain a lot more!

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

Offline dbarn

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »
My only complaint about the P-01 is that it would be nice if the beavertail were more upswept like the SP-01. This would allow more protection for a high grip and hammer bite. 

I have meaty hands between my thumb and forefinger. Consequently the CGW competition hammer gave me hammer bite in this area with a high grip. The CZC competion hammer is more forgiving and has a lower profile. Otherwise both hammers are excellent.

Offline badwrench

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 08:55:07 AM »
My only complaint about the P-01 is that it would be nice if the beavertail were more upswept like the SP-01. This would allow more protection for a high grip and hammer bite. 

I have meaty hands between my thumb and forefinger. Consequently the CGW competition hammer gave me hammer bite in this area with a high grip. The CZC competion hammer is more forgiving and has a lower profile. Otherwise both hammers are excellent.

I could'nt agree with you more on the beavertail..Sadly, it'll likely never be changed because the alloy frames are forged, and to change the beavertail, would require a change in the forging dies...very expensive to do.. but yeah, a upswept beavertail on a P01 would be an improvement..

anything