Author Topic: some Glock help  (Read 2389 times)

Offline DOC 1500

Re: some Glock help
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 11:46:14 PM »
I ran Glocks primarily for several years.  Still had to qualify with Beretta. 

When I grip with both hands, my support hand thumb runs along the side of the frame pointing forward, like I?m pointing with that thumb.  My dominant hand index finger runs along the other side of the frame, pointing forward, as well until I?m ready to put it into the trigger guard.  If you practice presenting at a target from the low ready, just pointing at a target, while thinking of putting the target between your thumb and that opposing index finger, you will find you begin learning how to point right at the target, without really having to think about it.  You will begin to fbring the eye to the sights to find them already aligned close to the target.

Any new handgun I get, I spend some time just doing holster presentations or presentations from low ready, (with a verified empty pistol),  LOTS of times, until I find the sights coming right up onto the center of the target.
^^^^ the results of this is what we call muscle memory^^^^
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline RPN

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 06:38:49 AM »
You should not allow yourself to struggle any longer. The best help we can offer here is to sell the glock and buy another CZ.

Maybe bury it in the backyard instead.

I don't think I could live with the guilt of selling it to some poor, unsuspecting soul. ;)

Hah!  :D

Offline aussie57

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 07:57:46 PM »
I ran Glocks primarily for several years.  Still had to qualify with Beretta. 

When I grip with both hands, my support hand thumb runs along the side of the frame pointing forward, like I?m pointing with that thumb.  My dominant hand index finger runs along the other side of the frame, pointing forward, as well until I?m ready to put it into the trigger guard.  If you practice presenting at a target from the low ready, just pointing at a target, while thinking of putting the target between your thumb and that opposing index finger, you will find you begin learning how to point right at the target, without really having to think about it.  You will begin to fbring the eye to the sights to find them already aligned close to the target.

Any new handgun I get, I spend some time just doing holster presentations or presentations from low ready, (with a verified empty pistol),  LOTS of times, until I find the sights coming right up onto the center of the target.

I do the same and get up as high on the gun as possible. Also practice presenting the gun to shooting level with eyes closed and then open your eyes to see where the sights are. For me Glocks just point naturally, I can bring them from low ready to shooting level with eyes closed and the sights are perfectly aligned. This takes a lot of practice to develop muscle memory. I also have large hands which helps get a good grip on the pistol. Practice, practice, practice.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 07:25:58 AM »
After 10 years or so I still have my M31.  Never shot good groups with it.  Replacing the Glock barrel with a Lone Wolf barrel helped some.

I installed a Grip Force Adaptor on it which helped move my hand downwards some and put a bigger beavertail on the back of it.  In my hand the Glock doesn't fit at all.  If I pull my finger out of the trigger guard and point it down the side of the pistol my trigger finger is all the way up on the slide.  To get it down on the trigger I have to bend it downwards at a very uncomfortable angle so much that with no pistol in my hand my trigger finger would be pushing against the back of by middle finger. 

Recently (about 3 or 4 months ago) I put the frame on the hobby belt sander and got rid of the finger bumps on the front of the frame that my fingers sat on top of vs. down in the grooves between the bumps and I undercut the trigger guard a little bit to eliminate some of the rub caused by the way my hand fits on the frame.  And I bought a Lone Wolf .40 S&W barrel for it.  Just need to get it to the range and see what I can do with the better fit to my hand.

In the end, it really doesn't matter for me as I went to a CZ P07 years ago for EDC and fun range shooting.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Ron M.

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 03:01:47 PM »
The only Glock still in my inventory is a Gen 4 G19.  I find I shoot it best without an additional back strap. I'm one of those weirdos that prefers the finger groves.

I did recently trade off the other G19 I had for an unfired 1992 manufactured Beretta 92FS Centurion. The gent that made the trade was convinced the Centurion was worthless and tossed in $200 cash. I used the cash to buy the 3 changes I do to all Italian made 92s. Elite II hammer, 14 pound LTT hammer spring, and "dog bone" style hammer spring cap pin. I also put a set of Beretta rubber grip panels on the pistol, just because they make a 92 series feel just right, to me.

Offline RPN

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 11:35:03 AM »
So I dry fired a bunch this week and lots of reps presenting the Glock and this is what I got last night...sorry for huge images...imgur is acting weird and not cooperating!

All were at about 21-25 feet.  1st was the upper left.  I only loaded 2 rounds per magazine to push my concentration.  My first shot was the 7/8 ring and made me cringe (lol) but then I got on track with a good group.  Next was the target on right and I started throwing more.  The bottom was 10 rounds I just shot quickly as I felt I was in my head and just needed to relax.

Not great, but overall better.  Something I find interesting is that most of my bad shots were surprises...they felt ok but weren't.  I think that 7 o'clock group in the 7/8 ring were a whole magazine!  That was a What the hell??? moment...

This pic is from my first time at the range with it in October I think.

That's when I was thinking I was going to become solid with this platform.  I did have the beavertail backstrap on then.  I switched it out for comfort...I think I'll try with it again.

Thanks again for the feedback- the gun is a pleasure to shoot and I'm going to keep it.  I did just get my first red dot for a pistol- Vortex Venom on my Buckmark...maybe that's an idea for the 19x?  Hmmm...