Author Topic: .22LR a good training tool?  (Read 310 times)

Offline David0408

.22LR a good training tool?
« on: March 11, 2019, 01:05:48 PM »
Is it worth the investment (Kadet 2) to save some money on ammo in order to increase range time? I’d go to the range all the time if I could spend $180 for 5k rounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: .22LR a good training tool?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 01:26:17 PM »
.22 is always a good choice for plinking fun and an economical way to extend practice times.

Offline David0408

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 01:28:09 PM »
I could buy another 9 for what they want for the Kadet.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 01:33:15 PM »
I say yes.

I don't have a kadet kit for any of my pistols.

I do have .22 conversions for the AR15, the Mini 14 and a 10/22 set up to mimic my M1A.

The neat thing (besides .22 being both available and the prices falling again) about a .22 conversion like that is the manual of arms is the same as your "big" pistol and the trigger feel/pull is the same.

As to your "head" getting into it, let me tell you a story from my Appleseed days.

I'm an M1A/M1 Garand guy.  I like'em and shoot'em.

But, in order to better understand, help, troubleshoot problems people had at Appleseeds/RBCs with their 10/22's I set one up for Appleseeds.  M14 front sling swivel, M1917 rear swing swivel, 1&1/4" GI web sling, Tech sights, a 1.5" hard plastic butt extension for a little more fit to my long arms and some magazines that activate the 10/22 magazine release very much like and M1A mag. release lever.

One day I dropped my shooting mat out, laid out the rifle/magazines/ammo and proceeded to "sling up."  I was prone.  I got my NPOA, looked through the sights at the target, made sure I had the sights where they needed to be in relation to each other and the target all while breathing nice and slow. I inserted a 10 round magazine and chambered a round.  I made sure I still had my NPOA and put my trigger finger through the trigger guard to move the safety from SAFE to FIRE.  DARN!  No safety, I've been lying here with the rifle loaded and the safety wasn't in the SAFE position.  I pulled my finger out of the trigger guard and went to the front of the trigger guard to move the safety to SAFE (my starting point on a stage of fire).  My trigger finger didn't find the safety, I put my trigger finger back inside the trigger guard and "felt" for the safety.  Nope, didn't feel it, trigger finger back out to the front to feel for the safety.  Still no safety. 

It's hard to describe my confusion and I had to raise my head up off the stock to cant the rifle to the left to see what was wrong with my M1A.  Nothing was wrong with the M1A, it was in the case at the truck - I had the darn 10/22 in my hands, but in my mind it was an M1A.

I don't have a Kadet kit.  If I did I'll bet my mind would be completely comfortable shooting/practicing with it vs. the 9MM top end.

I believe in it enough that a few years ago when I was using a SIG 556R I bought a SIG 522.  I have the same optics on both rifles to keep things as similar as possible.

Having mentioned the availability of .22 ammo and dropping prices I might just have to get me a P07 Kadet kit this summer.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline David0408

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 09:15:25 PM »
Yeah, I’m buying one. Thanks guys!

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 10:24:49 PM »
Yeah, I’m buying one. Thanks guys!
David:
Great choice, you will NOT be sorry you did
The KADET IS as accurate as most any dedicated 22 Target Pistol
Read some of JoeL's posts on his KADET shooting
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the last 8 years !

Offline jli567

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 04:10:31 PM »
I usually get the 22lr barrel or conversion if I can. Cheap to shoot and great to introduce new shooters with.

Offline BKmetz

• I'm 100% Slavic so CZ works for me.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 01:46:56 AM »

I have a P09 and a P09 Kadet kit. It's a great combo for many reasons.

1. Initial investment: ~$440 for the P09 and ~$250 for the P09 Kadet kit and 4 extra magazines ~$30/each for a total of 6 magazines. Try to find a high quality 22LR pistol and extra magazines for ~$375.

2. Cheap shooting: 22LRs are always the cheapest ammo to plink with.

3. Hand/grip memory: Grip/trigger is the same. The P09 with the kadet kit is slightly lighter but the pistol feels the same because for all intents and purposes, it is.

4. Convenience: It takes about 1 minute to install the kadet kit on the P09 and back again.

5. The P09 22LR kadet kit shoots like butter. Smooth, very smooth. It loves CCI Mini-Mags.

6. Great way to have wife/kids/grandkids start shooting. Later when they're ready, easy transition to a 9mm.

:)
You can always tell a Slovak, but you can't tell him much. Just ask my wife. ;)

Offline GRU7_Mike

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 09:01:35 AM »
 I have a P-07 and the Kadet Kit, and no fitting required and is far cheaper than one for the reg CZ75....mine was $209 at Buds.  The P-07 Kadet kit was a very good purchase for me, it helped teach my grand daughter to shoot the P-07 and now she is very proficient with the actual 9mm.  One gun to clean...cheap .22 ammo =more range time.  Can not lose.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 02:10:40 PM »
WAY back when I used to shoot bullseye with a S$W 71. After I bought my first Kadet I actually sold my 71 as the Kadet was just as accurate. I don't shoot it any longer but I'm sure Joe would likely suggest Kadet also for accuracy and he does shoot a lot of bullseye.
, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70