Author Topic: Safest way to sell a pistol? - PA  (Read 518 times)

Offline nick779

Safest way to sell a pistol? - PA
« on: March 12, 2019, 08:02:17 AM »
In PA all sales need to go through an FFL and im a bit leary about taking payment in form of a money order or personal check as ive never really dealt with sales like that. Ive never sold a firearm online before either.

What/where would be the most reliable place or method to selling a pistol other than to a local shop?

Offline Trh9905

Re: Safest way to sell a pistol? - PA
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:30:49 AM »
Local gun shop or a local FFL.

During the sale there will be three people there.  You being the seller, the buyer and the FFL who fills out the forms for the transfer and make a call to check the buyer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Trh9905

Safest way to sell a pistol? - PA
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 09:08:49 AM »
I have purchased a number of guns online from other states.  Mainly GunBroker.  Pistols and rifles work the same way.   If I sell you a gun (MI to PA), once I have your money I must take my gun to an FFL or gun store and have them ship my gun to your FFL.  That’s FFL to FFL.  Some states require a FFL to FFL transfer.

MI works a little different. If I buy a gun from you, once you have my money you can ship the gun to my FFL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:48:35 PM by Trh9905 »

Offline TripppleP

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 12:48:45 PM »
Sell it on PAFOA.  Cash only if you dont want to deal with sending it or internet payments.

What are you selling?

Offline nick779

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 02:58:26 PM »
Sell it on PAFOA.  Cash only if you dont want to deal with sending it or internet payments.

What are you selling?

Ill check that out.

An FDE CZ P10C with HBI trigger, CGW SS guide rod, 15/18 recoil spring, 5 mags total, competition holster.
Also a Springfield XDs Mod 2 (night sight version) with 5 mags and a holster.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:33:32 PM by nick779 »

Offline rich63

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 03:07:10 PM »
Where in Pa are you?

rich63

Offline nick779

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »
Where in Pa are you?

rich63

Pittsburgh.

I should also add that im ready to sell the XDS Mod 2 now, but the P10C will be a few weeks.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 06:58:17 PM »
If you're shipping check with FFL to get a shipping price b4 you list it so you can make sure you're charging enough in your ads.
, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Offline CZ_OBSESSED

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 02:36:48 PM »
What's the safest way to receive payment that is safe for both buyer and seller? Escrow?

Offline bang bang

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 07:16:17 PM »
safe is relative.

what i do is to go via my local FFL.  He knows me since ive been buying guns for 10+ years from him.

Ive asked him if he would take a credit card over the phone if needed and he OKed it.   not sure how it will work on his end for paperwork/sales.  but never had to use that part of his service.

What i do is to post my guns on GB and have them send a USPS Money Order to me.   I will accept other forms, but state upfront any other form has to be OKed by me and the any other form may take longer to clear my bank.  Im not in a rush for the cash so i just wait until the funds are deposited.  I ASK my bank about any delays or issues with the deposit too.  Dont assume things, ASK !

some want to use PayPal, but i say no since they are anti-gun.  Just my little way of telling them how i feel.  Ive also had friend get shafted by PayPal. 

If you are gong to sell this and other guns, get your ducks in a row and set some rules. 

If you want to do a Face To Face transaction, then i would again, head to your favorite LGS and let them know what you would like to do and if they are cool with it.

Figure out before you do anything , who pays for what and state it.  Dont leave any assuming or guessing for the buyer since when there is alot of assuming and guessing especially when you are waiting to buy it, i start to get the felling they are trying to scam. 

get things in writing or write a note on whats what.

Offline Coyote56

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »
Unless it is a sale to another TN resident, all sales must go through a FFL licensed dealer. $25-$30 transfer fee in Georgia and Tennessee. North Carolina is only about 5 miles away. Not sure about fees there.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 02:32:37 PM »
People sell pistols?

Who knew?

RCG
What I lack in speed , I make up for with inaccuracy

Offline adrian

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 02:58:35 PM »
     Hiya Nick779 and thx for your thread. I will assume you posted an ad here at the site as well. I've bought and sold right here at the forum. And met private owners and sellers in LGS, parking lots etc. Never had a situation live that caused any safety feelers to pop up,but you stay aware anything can go down. Most private sellers and buyers are tuned into the safety thing and volunteer showing a drivers license and CCW card as a safeguard as well. A seller with original receipt is the best medicine to prove its not stolen property. Be well.

Online armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 06:06:34 AM »
If I sell a firearm to anyone away from me, it's shipped FFL to FFL. I have sold face to face many times, but it's only to people I know or work with.