Author Topic: Which pre B to buy ?  (Read 642 times)

Offline romex2121

Which pre B to buy ?
« on: March 12, 2019, 02:16:23 PM »
Ive come down with the sickness that CZ seems to give people when you have 1 or 2 of their hand guns ..
So far i have a 75 compact (safety) and a SP01 Tactical,, now im wanting to get a pre B to restore but not sure where to start,,  ive seen some with holes in the safety and some with out. both types have the non replacable front sights , round trigger guards and spur hammers ,, I was able to find some under $400, some were decent , some are pretty rough as far as bluing and such and can be had for a lower price  but as a project gun that doesnt bother me to much , my plan is to polish internals (replace if needed) , strip and redo exterior with a nice dark bluing of some sort, i can sit for hrs polishing and fitting as ive done on my two current CZ's ,,
Just needing a little direction on which is the better way to go on the pre B's as far as restored values ........ Thanks for your opinions......

Offline Blackwatch

Re: Which pre B to buy ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 02:38:14 PM »
I'm biased (just to be transparent)...I'd go for an '84 or '85 if you are looking for a project gun and plan to redo exterior.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 07:36:34 AM »
I'd honestly buy at a show or shop - held in the hand. 

Not all will have smooth triggers.  You MIGHT do better buying an EARLY model.  (77-84). 

The trigger on my 88 did not clean up the same way my 84 did, and I MAY end up replacing the trigger bar. 

I'd also be on the lookout for a BLUE or PARKED finish - you might find a nice one.  You MIGHT also find a later one that has a decent polycoat - but the enamel just flakes off - so if you use it, it will flake. 

Sights - I like being able to install decent sights.  However, I like the indented vertical serrations MUCH better, and round TG, so if I had ONE - the traditional (vice transitional) PreB would be it. 

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 08:57:57 AM »
I would not buy a Pre B CZ75 with the very hard to find parts for safety.

I got lucky as I bought a Pre B CZ85 and the safeties are still available (if I ever need some) for that style safety.

Also, getting one that has the modern pinned front sight makes it easier to replace/upgrade if you need to.  My Pre B CZ85 has the staked on front sight which also has a different style barrel bushing.  Makes replacing the front sight or adding a new barrel bushing much more of a challenge and expense.

And then there is the magazine issue.  Some Pre B's require the older Pre B magazines which cost more and may be harder to come by.  Some later Pre B's can use modern magazines.  Of course, you can modify the inside of the mag well to allow the use of newer style magazines.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline motorolanut

• “Character is what you are in the dark.”
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 02:34:07 PM »
I would not buy a Pre B CZ75 with the very hard to find parts for safety.

I got lucky as I bought a Pre B CZ85 and the safeties are still available (if I ever need some) for that style safety.

Also, getting one that has the modern pinned front sight makes it easier to replace/upgrade if you need to.  My Pre B CZ85 has the staked on front sight which also has a different style barrel bushing.  Makes replacing the front sight or adding a new barrel bushing much more of a challenge and expense.

And then there is the magazine issue.  Some Pre B's require the older Pre B magazines which cost more and may be harder to come by.  Some later Pre B's can use modern magazines.  Of course, you can modify the inside of the mag well to allow the use of newer style magazines.

Learned something here, never knew of a CZ "B" model magazine compatibly issue. Thank you sir the enlightenment.
Virtue has united, death shall not separate

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 02:58:10 PM »
I always go with the transitionals.  That means pinned front sight, squared from trigger guard and no hole in the safety.

Offline Psyop96

Which pre B to buy ?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 03:11:02 PM »
Granted that I have a small stable of pre-Bs (like Blackwatch too, I presume ) so I have a different approach to appreciating a variety of 1980s and early 1990s pre-Bs...from pristine blued finishes (1980-1983), painted finishes (1984-early 90s), the 84 with the sweetest looking trigger guards, beat up looking finishes that have character to the more practical so-called transitional (replaceable front sights, takes current magazines, newer type safety, etc. ).

By the way, the current factory 18 rounds Sp-01 magazines work well in pre-Bs so you don’t have to use the older magazines. Pistols from 1977 to 1983 with the blued finishes are somewhat rare and pricey. I have had zero issues (knock on wooden grips) with the surplus pistols from CDI and the offshoot company that also offered surplus CZ 75s after CDI succumbed to a fire.

This 1990 has become a favorite with its well worn looking finish and mismatched frame patina. The pinned ramp sight is not the best but a little yellow paint goes a long ways to making it easier to pick up the sights. Welcome to the world of pre-Bs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:15:20 PM by Psyop96 »

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »
FWIW, I'd be happy to buy any/all of the old pre-b 15 round mags that no one wants/needs....

Carry on

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 04:50:23 PM »
The safeties w/o any holes are B model parts, so that would be considered a benefit, not likely to be seen on round guard frames. I'm not afraid of the pre-b safeties, replacement safety detents and springs for the P-07/09 will work if the originals go missing. The OEM parkerized guns are nice, but if you plan to blue them it's difficult to remove the surface texture from when they were blasted at the factory. It's a minor issue, but noticable if you look closely. As a practical shooter, Transitionals rule. From an aesthetic perspective the early round guard guns are preferable to me.

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 10:43:36 PM »
The post from Psyop96 prompted me to share this one..a 1985 I picked up a while back for less than $250. I decided to replace original enamel finish with polished blue (note sweep of the trigger guard).

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 11:43:09 PM »
Sweet ‘85!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline greystonedog

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 01:58:49 AM »
real nice, who  did  the blue?

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 06:47:00 PM »
real nice, who  did  the blue?

Thank you greystonedog! I had a local gunsmith do the entire process - will send you detials by PM

Offline Explosive

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 05:04:37 PM »
Nice one Blackwatch !    What did the refinish set you back ?

Offline Explosive

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 05:19:38 PM »
Old ones in nice condition are about, you just have to be patient. I'm not but I got lucky for a change.

It's a 1988 Combat with the original finish.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 05:24:53 PM by Explosive »