Author Topic: Omega Trigger - Good or Bad  (Read 327 times)

Offline viking499

Omega Trigger - Good or Bad
« on: March 14, 2019, 12:15:57 PM »
Never had a new model CZ with the Omega trigger.  How does the trigger compare to the original trigger, better or worse.  I know it allows you to switch between safety and decocker, but I am more interested in function and feel. 

Also more interested in the 75 series than the P series.

Offline TNman

Re: Omega Trigger - Good or Bad
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 12:45:11 PM »
Can't say a lot because I just received my CZ 75 B Omega Tactical last week. I have just fired 150 rounds and the trigger seems good. I measured about 10 lbs. DA and 4.5 lbs SA. I have owned several CZs and found it much easier to disassemble the lower frame to polish the trigger bar. After polishing the DA dropped to about 8 LBS and the SA closer to 4. I think it will be a fun toy but I have not found very much information about the omega online, including a parts chart.
IDPA   |   USPSA  |   NRA

CZ PCR   |   RAMI BD   |   Shadow 2   |   P-10 C   |   CZ 75B Omega

Sig P320 C & F
Sig P226 Legion
Sig P320 X-Carry
Springfield XDS Mod 2 45

Offline radagast

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 01:14:28 PM »
Hi Viking.
       I'm relatively new to the CZ world, and not at all familiar with the traditional CZ trigger system. I will say however, there can be a VAST difference in the OOB performance of the Omega trigger. I have a P07 that was extremely rough initially, and didn't show improvement after 500 rounds. Another 500 and it began to smooth out some. After a thorough polishing and hammer/frame sanding, and another 1000 rounds I'm content, although I'd probably change some parts if the budget here wasn't so tight.
      My Wife's ODG P07, bought a year later, came from the factory with a very nice trigger; and after 1000 rounds, is considerably better than mine with no work necessary.
      Both are gen 2 (non-duty) versions, and are great pistols. Now, with just over 5000 rounds between the two; I've had 2 failure to extracts from her pistol. Both were in a box of Field and Stream ammo, and after carefully scrutinizing some of the casings, am satisfied that it was just a bad box of ammo.
"Let there be light"  and then there was muzzle flash !

Offline christak

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 06:41:16 PM »
I find the standard and Omega triggers to feel about the same except for the difference noted due to the trigger shape. I have 75Bs with each trigger and P-01s with each as well. I really don't have a preference at this point, though early on I preferred the Omega.

Online briang2ad

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 06:13:23 PM »
IMHO the Omega offers a better SA OTB, is more easily serviced, and is cheaper to manufacture.  It is also a tad simpler.  If you’ve ever had mysterious trigger bar spring tension problems on the 75 system, you can understand this. 

The decocker on the Omega is a light year easier to deal with, so it makes it a better decocker OTB.  Polishing the intervals is almost trivial.  Dealing with the decocker in the 75 system is not. 

What it doesn’t do is on average provide as smooth a DA trigger pull.  HARD TO EXPLAIN but generally the 75 system is a bit more consistent.  The Omega seems to have a tendency to stack in the latter stages of the pull.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:30:58 PM by briang2ad »

Offline adrian

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 06:31:15 PM »
     Hiya Viking499 and thx for your thread. Looks like the operators have had the good,and less than good experiences even with varied experiences having two under the same roof. Didn't sound like anyone sold their's over the triggers action tho.
     Gotta take ya back to 2011 for my omega story, looking to buy my first handgun I tried a dozen rentals,no omegas in the lot,but a trigger of a 75b left such an impression,I'd at least settled on CZ brand. I wanted a EDC and looking at CZC site picked out a compact a po-2 omega in 9mm. Went to czc functioned checked a couple they had and left an happy owner. The triggers action I thought was not as smooth, kinda mushy,and didn't have a crisp reset,figuring it needed breaking in, that didn't help. It was a few years later that technology changed enough so that whatever Stu was able to do with it at czc really improved it. I feel that if I'd bought a 75po-1 then I would have been happier with the out of the box trigger,without the cost of custom work to get there. So I do hope you allow yourself to find a shop that allows you do some dry fire comparing before spending those hundreds. Be well.

Online ejb1975

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 06:48:25 PM »
Typically, out of the box the omega trigger will feel a bit nicer than standard 75.  If you have no desire to work on your gun or your improve it from stock I would get the omega.  Standard system can be drastically better of the two with a bit of money/work into it.  Possibility of the old system is higher than the new IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline earlykyler2012

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 03:26:23 PM »
The first CZ I ever owned was an 75b Omega. Ive owned 2 mid 1990s standard 75b models since then. The Omega had a better trigger imo.

Offline sberres

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 08:54:15 AM »
My first CZ was an Omega conv. I had nothing to compare to as it was my first hammer gun. OOB I liked the trigger just fine and especially appreciated the way it could so simply be taken apart for polishing or cleaning. I did some work around the trigger bar and disconnector parts with scotchbrite and took care of some of the light, new, grittiness. Some dry firing and range time and I now prefer this one to some of the older pre-b’s with well broken in firing mechanisms. Briang2ad mentioned that the DA has a little bit of a different feel over the standard style and I would agree. The SA is very nice. I doubt it will compare to those that have been tuned or upgraded but I like it the way it is.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline Linejudgemick

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 04:22:21 PM »
I traded my P-01 for a P-01 Omega. Mostly for the ambi-forward facing decocker though. Now that I have the Omega, I am much happier with it. I put a 14# main spring in it and it's trigger is very nice now. I prefer the trigger shape and no longer experience trigger slap. I haven't used it, but the ability to switch between a safety and decocker is nice too.
CZ 75 P-01 Omega & P-07

Offline sberres

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 11:03:55 PM »
The ability to try both safety and decocker was my main draw to the Omega as well. Having no prior experience with either this seemed like a good choice. I prefer the decocker over the safety in this one as I found the safety to be a little less than crisp. I also have found I rather like the forward decocker lever but then I don’t tend to ride my thumb high on it. I don’t dislike the safeties on my other CZs, however, as they are more positive and lower profile than the Omega model. But the original question was about the trigger, though, and I particularly like the SA of the Omega slightly better than the others. It’s always a bit of a decision though when I deliberate over who’s coming to the range on a given day. It’s such a blessing to have such a ‘problem’!
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline RSR

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 11:06:32 PM »
If you have any Sig P Series guns and regularly shoot them, then the P01 Omega decocker is a similar manual of arms.   For mainline use, I would absolutely standardize controls if using multiple gun makes.

Online briang2ad

« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:45:07 PM »
I also think that the steel guns with the Omega will have more consistency than the P guns.  The P guns seem to be literally all over the map. I have some that are like butter, and I am about to send a second BACK to CZ because it is crappy.  The steel guns provide a more stable/consistent platform for the parts. 

Having said that, even in the P guns the SA is quite good - just the DA has issues.