Author Topic: Polished internals on my P07...what a difference!  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Due51

Polished internals on my P07...what a difference!
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:37:50 PM »
I've been reading Schmeky's thread and watching the Ashburn Armorer's video multiple times since I bought my new CZ 2 weeks ago.  Last night I decided to dive in.  Started around 9 (with Schmeky's thread open and the video playing on my phone).  Disassembled the whole thing - keeping everything organized and labeled on a foam egg carton off to the side where I wouldn't knock it over. Disassembly didn't take too long and other than sending the hammer spring into orbit, I got it all apart.  Polishing too a couple hours as I was careful to check my work often to make sure I was making flat contact and not rounding corners or edges*.

I used 400, 1000, and 1500 grit wet/dry automotive paper, keeping the paper on a hard flat surface while holding the parts in my hand as I rubbed it on the paper.  I chucked up the pins in my cordless drill to polish those.  And then used a small drill bit with a small amount of 1000grit taped to it to polish inside all the pin holes.  Once I was was satisfied with all the surface polishing, it was time to re-assemble.

That was a little tougher, mostly because of of my error.  I struggled mightily with the decocker spring.  It was late (past 1am), I was getting tired and cold in my basement workshop.  No matter what, I could not get the spring into the bushing because the firing pin safety activator kept falling in the way and covering the hole for the spring.  I battled that SOB until 230.  Finally said screw it, I'll do it tomorrow.  Went upstairs, poured a night cap and decompressed while watching Ashburn's video again on re-assembling the spring and decocker.  Lo and behold I found my problem:  I had the bearing attached to the wrong side of the activator. So the whole time, I had the lever in backwards.  Duh.  Well, I couldn't go to sleep now.

Back down to the workshop and from there it was smooth sailing.  Everything was back together and I had a satisfactory function check.

I took the gun to the range today, and my word, Schmeky's tutorial made a world of difference.  Incredible.  Huge thanks up him and Ashburn.

*one thing I noticed in a lot of videos on polishing gun parts is, people holding the part in one hand and the sand paper in the other while rubbing vigorously.  I don't think that's good practice.  Your fingers aren't hard and flat. You can't make perfectly straight up and down motions because of your elbow pivot point.  You risk rounding critical corners and edges.  The sear, decocker, and trigger bar all have critical notches and surfaces that need to be flat/square/or at a precise angle.  Those tolerances are impossible to hold when using your round soft fingers to polish them.  Keep the paper on the table top and move the part along the paper.  If you must hold paper and part in hand, wrap the paper around a small file, or popsicle stick.  Anything that's harder and flatter than your fingers.

Good shootin.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:34:30 PM by Due51 »
CZ P07
Sig P229 Legion & P238
RIA m1911 A2 10mm
Hi-Standard H-D Military
Let's Go Blue!

Offline DOC 1500

Re: Polished internals on my P07...what a difference!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 12:00:18 PM »
There are a lot of great videos and instruction on this forum to make a good pistol a great pistol.
Did you ever check if the hammer is rubbing  the frame on the left side?  Look for rub marks..Check out the sticky "Hammer rubbing left side of frame"  ..here in gunsmithing.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Due51

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 12:57:47 PM »
Thank you.  I did see that thread and checked the hammer.  It favors the left side ever so slightly but isn't rubbing.  I'll review that thread again and check the hammer tomorrow night when I install my recently purchased hammer spring, extended firing pin/spring, and plunger spring from CGW.

There are a lot of great videos and instruction on this forum to make a good pistol a great pistol.
Did you ever check if the hammer is rubbing  the frame on the left side?  Look for rub marks..Check out the sticky "Hammer rubbing left side of frame"  ..here in gunsmithing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CZ P07
Sig P229 Legion & P238
RIA m1911 A2 10mm
Hi-Standard H-D Military
Let's Go Blue!

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:35:02 PM »
First, and most important  !!! 
make sure the gun is empty and cleared.
2) with the hammer down,pull the hammer to the right as far as you can .slide a piece of paper in between the hammer and the frame.
3) slowly pull the trigger in  double action while lightly tugging on the paper. If the paper is very tight and hard to pull out , then your Hammer is probably rubbing the frame.

Offline Due51

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:14:30 PM »
Thanks Doc.  I'll give it a whirl.

CZ P07
Sig P229 Legion & P238
RIA m1911 A2 10mm
Hi-Standard H-D Military
Let's Go Blue!

Offline Due51

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 10:03:55 PM »
The hammer definitely held the paper snug against the frame on the left side.  I'll research the remedy.  Thanks.
First, and most important  !!! 
make sure the gun is empty and cleared.
2) with the hammer down,pull the hammer to the right as far as you can .slide a piece of paper in between the hammer and the frame.
3) slowly pull the trigger in  double action while lightly tugging on the paper. If the paper is very tight and hard to pull out , then your Hammer is probably rubbing the frame.

CZ P07
Sig P229 Legion & P238
RIA m1911 A2 10mm
Hi-Standard H-D Military
Let's Go Blue!

Offline Due51

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 06:40:14 AM »
Got my 18#&15# main springs, extended firing pin/spring, reduced power FPBS spring, and rollpin from CGW and I installed them last night. 

Everything went smoothly except for installing the new FP retaining pin.  I had to insert-take out- and reinsert a couple times because the firing pin and safety block clearly weren't sitting right and functioning properly (the strike end of the pin was darn near flush with the slide face).  Now I'm concerned the FPRP has been compromised and won't remain in its place.

I'll bring the original pin to the range.  Can it be reinstalled with the new parts from CGW?
CZ P07
Sig P229 Legion & P238
RIA m1911 A2 10mm
Hi-Standard H-D Military
Let's Go Blue!

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 08:00:43 PM »
You can confidently replace any part with any cgw part.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 11:35:45 PM »
They are great parts, but sometimes the short reset and roller won’t all work.  I have two guns that you have to leave the roller or lifter out to keep
The timing right

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 08:25:44 PM »
They are great parts, but sometimes the short reset and roller won’t all work.  I have two guns that you have to leave the roller or lifter out to keep
The timing right
Well then my question is at this point was the short reset kit designed with Factory Parts Only? If a different diameter roller for better timing doesn't work then why bother putting it in in the first place if you're putting in the short reset kit. Why wasn't the kid designed with the correct roller for timing in the first place. Something seems amiss

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »
The timing right
Well then my question is at this point was the short reset kit designed with Factory Parts Only? If a different diameter roller for better timing doesn't work then why bother putting it in in the first place if you're putting in the short reset kit. Why wasn't the kid designed with the correct roller for timing in the first place. Something seems amiss

Parts stacking in short.  Different guns with a different set of parts respond to upgrades differently.  I can tell you that even without a new roller, some guns I've seen will NOT take the full SR Kit.  Yes, the SR Kit is designed to work in factory guns.  You only 'need' to replace the roller if it is out of round - and again, the smallest rollers are .220 from CGW, and I've had .212 rollers from CZ, and in that case the CGW roller won't work.  But sometimes I try to replace the roller anyway because they are 'truer' and a better part - and they CAN reduce overtravel. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 08:06:24 PM by briang2ad »