Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 802 times)

Offline RodE

Newbie Questions
« on: March 15, 2019, 10:08:02 AM »
I still have not fired my brand spanking new Scorpion EVO.

However, I am all wrapped up in installing a few interesting after market goodies!!

I replaced the "small" factory charging handle with a much larger HBI one. I put the factory one in my parts drawer.  I installed a second large HBI handle on the opposite side.
While doing this I had to firmly tap the hand guard pin (the one with the "fin" pointing back to the receiver) to get it out and then back in.  I noticed that the pin looked sort of fragile.
The YouTube instructions show the pin out and in with just fingers.  Should I be concerned that I may have damaged it? :-\

It is still tough to cock with either of the new charging handles.  I hope it is just a matter of break in shooting.

I also installed a HBI duck bill magazine release.  The pins were really tight to punch out. I had to use a carpenter's hammer to get my new aluminum release back in. Is it common for the pins to be so darn tight. :'(  Again, the YouTube instructions showed much easier in and out!

The spring was a real pain in the rear to position for the reinstall.  I lost the new spring TWICE in the carpet, but my wife saved the day and found it both times for me.

Please excuse my piddling questions, but this is all new to me. I may be overly cautious.

Offline 1000RR

Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 10:50:53 AM »
You could always take the pin back out (the one with the triangular spring sticking out) and see if it looks fine.  When I did mine, I just pushed the spring back in by applying pressure to it with a punch... just to make it easy to push in and not force it.  As far as the charging being a little firm... mine did seem to loosen up a bit over time.  The larger charging handle definitely helps too.

On the pins... hard to say what "hard" means.  That's subjective to each individual.   If they are roll pins, then yes, they are usually tight.  If they are just pins (like found on the trigger pack) they are pretty easy.  The roll pins have to stay in by themselves so basically they compress when you put them in.

Offline motorolanut

• “Character is what you are in the dark.”
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »
Use a punch to compress the cocking handle horse shoe pin while removing.
New roll pins should be greased or oiled.  Try to use a roll pin punch, brass or rubber faced hammer.  As you install the new roll pin stop every so often and make sure it is centered so no buggering occurs.
Virtue has united, death shall not separate

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 11:28:19 AM »
Use a punch to compress the cocking handle horse shoe pin while removing.
New roll pins should be greased or oiled.  Try to use a roll pin punch, brass or rubber faced hammer.  As you install the new roll pin stop every so often and make sure it is centered so no buggering occurs.

^^^^ This!! 

...and if you have roll pin starters - they work awesome too!!  It's all about the right tools for the right job!

Offline RodE

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 12:56:40 PM »
Thanks  ?