Author Topic: Decent calipers  (Read 455 times)

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
Decent calipers
« on: March 15, 2019, 11:55:20 AM »
What do we like?

The $12.99 set I got recently won't hold a zero longer than 5 minutes and seem pretty flimsy.

This is what I have: Calipers

I think I need an upgrade.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Crawl

Re: Decent calipers
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 11:59:03 AM »
These have been fantastic! I think they're a Chinese bootleg of a much several hundred dollar pair. I've had them for 3 years, have never changed the battery, and have never had them be inconsistent.

iGaging ABSOLUTE ORIGIN 0-4" Digital Electronic Caliper - IP54 Protection/Extreme Accuracy https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00K3PZXMW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_YT8ICbHH0A411

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 01:37:16 PM »
I've used a set from Harbor Freight for several years w/o issue. I also have a Hornady caliper, but I wouldn't say it's of higher quality.

Online viking499

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 01:56:37 PM »
I have set of Mitutoyo digital calipers I bought a couple of years ago.  More money than I really wanted to spend at the time, but glad I did.  Very high quality.  And, I use them more than I thought I would.

You usually get what you pay for.  Cheap does not usually translate into longevity.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 01:58:33 PM »
I have the 6" dial caliper from Harbor Freight, and it works very well. 
CZ Shadow Orange (Aussie model), S2 urban gray, S2 black and blue, CZ Custom 75b polished stainless, Grand Power Xcalibur, Tristar C-100

Offline Crawl

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 02:06:01 PM »
I have set of Mitutoyo digital calipers I bought a couple of years ago.  More money than I really wanted to spend at the time, but glad I did.  Very high quality.  And, I use them more than I thought I would.

You usually get what you pay for.  Cheap does not usually translate into longevity.
Mitutoyo is certainly better than pretty much anything else.

The knock offs I posted above are compared the Mitutoyo, but obviously aren't quite on the level.

However, I would say that they are far better than any other $30 pair I've ever used, and they have a 4.5 star rating on Amazon (923 reviews).

You pay for what you get!

Offline cdhbrad

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 02:10:18 PM »
I use these by Mitutoyo:  https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/62529482.  Only reason I have them is that my local 1911 smith bought several sets with other Mitutoyo tools and let me have them way below retail.   

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 02:25:06 PM »
I bought a set from Hornady, I'm sure its an off-brand with the Hornady Logo on them, they have been fine for the couple years I have had them. I also have a set that I bought from a local MAC Tool guy several years ago and they have been perfect also but they are NOT digital so no worries on batteries!

Online Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 04:18:07 PM »
What do we like?

The $12.99 set I got recently won't hold a zero longer than 5 minutes and seem pretty flimsy.

This is what I have: Calipers

I think I need an upgrade.

They seem to be the same stainless steel calipers that Harbor Freight, Frankfort Arsenal, and 20 other providers sell for $12 to $40. They also appear to be the same calipers I've used for 6 or 7 years. The only issue I've ever had was the cheap batteries. Insert an American brand #357 battery and see if things improve.

If not, you bought them on Ebay and they can be returned.

Careful when you order. There's an all-plastic set that looks nearly the same.

;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:52:02 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong

Offline tdogg

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 04:51:33 PM »
I recently purchased a Mitutoyo set on Fleabay that included this along with a vernier micrometer, and a complete depth micrometer set.  My original calipers that I'd had (some knock off brand) lasted for over ten years but I dropped them and chipped the ID measurement tangs.  When I received the (used) mitutoyo set, I was amazed at how smooth and easy they were to operate.  You get what you pay for and I'm happy with my Mitutoyo's.  Keep an watch on ebay as you can pick up a clean used set on the cheap.

This is the style of calipers I currently have:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitutoyo-505-738-Dial-Caliper-with-Carbide-OD-and-ID-Jaws-0-6-Range-001/143170825178?epid=2256048482&hash=item2155a56bda:g:aB8AAOSw~9JciY5U

I wouldn't own a set of digital.  I already learned that with torque wrenches.  When you need it most, the battery will be dead.

Cheers,
Toby

Offline joedirt199

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 06:07:46 PM »
By a set from mitutoyo, starret, or brown something on the used market. Will last longer and be more accurate than the cheapy versions.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 10:11:08 PM »
I have tested and tried to calibrate a few cheap SS digital calipers on gauging blocks. None of them were accurate for my liking. HF (3 or 4 of them) all where off .002"-.007". Battery also die in them quickly at the time when you need them.
I still have a couple of them, but never use.
Instead, I always use one of two dial calipers. Both bought used. Calibrated (zeroed) easy, repeatable and much easier to read too. One is dual Imperial/Metrics, another is Imperial only.

Offline eastman

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 10:14:12 PM »
By a set from mitutoyo, starret, or brown something on the used market. Will last longer and be more accurate than the cheapy versions.

"buy once, cry once" is a common opinion for good tools
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline timetofly

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 11:32:37 PM »
I bought a caliper from Lowes and paid less than $30.00 and in two years haven't had any issues or changed the battery.

Offline eastman

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 09:57:37 PM »
for woodworking, I bought a Swiss-made fiberglass reinforced nylon dial caliper about 15 years ago. I wanted this one because it also has tick marks for 1/64" increments.

Its limit is that it has to interpolate between 0.01" tick marks and doesn't speak metric.
I don't look like my avatar!