Author Topic: The new Bonesteel Arms Skeleton Handguard  (Read 6411 times)

Offline Bigdude

The new Bonesteel Arms Skeleton Handguard
« on: March 15, 2019, 10:51:04 PM »
I just received the new Bonesteel Arms Skeleton Handguard set (manufactured by CNC Warrior). The lower handguard/rail is a new design and very different from the original Bonesteel Arms lower. But it appears the upper rail/handguard is exactly the same as the original Bonesteel Arms upper. The new lower "Skeleton" handguard/rail is much lighter (3.12 oz. vs 7.69 oz.) and has both picatinny rail and M-Lok rail sections at 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Also it is much less bulky and doesn't protrude as much. It includes (6) polymer rail sections that can be used for covers. I purchased the original Bonesteel Arms lower handguard/rail but didn't keep it too long. I felt it was too heavy, had too many sharp edges and was overall just too big. So I switched to the NEA lower handguard which I am currently using right now. According to my scale, the NEA lower handguard weighs 4.64 ounces (not including the removable picatinny rail sections). So I will be switching to the new Skeleton Bonesteel Arms lower rail.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:31:52 PM by Bigdude »

Offline DWDM_IntheDFW

Re: The new Bonesteel Arms Skeleton Handguard
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 07:30:12 AM »
How solid is the upper handguard? CNC Warrior's webpage specifically states that they're not intended for mounting aiming devices.

Reading the reviews on their webpage, the new upper handguard is taller than their previous railed handguards, so I'm wondering if they added that bit because it won't allow co-witnessing the iron sights with the red dot like their previous model would.

Still, it looks like a solid option to add a light and an AFG or VFG on reliably, given you can go picatinny or MLOK.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Offline Bigdude

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »
The upper rail/handguard is identical to the original one that was released several years ago.

Offline Bigdude

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 01:52:50 PM »
How solid is the upper handguard? CNC Warrior's webpage specifically states that they're not intended for mounting aiming devices.

Reading the reviews on their webpage, the new upper handguard is taller than their previous railed handguards, so I'm wondering if they added that bit because it won't allow co-witnessing the iron sights with the red dot like their previous model would.

Still, it looks like a solid option to add a light and an AFG or VFG on reliably, given you can go picatinny or MLOK.

I read that on their webpage as well but I think that statement regarding mounting aiming devices was meant for the AK-47 model rail, not the VZ-58. Gonna send an email to find out.

Offline Santo

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 09:14:57 PM »
I like those rail covers. Wish they sold them by themselves. Look forward to your review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Elm1

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 02:28:57 AM »
 Hey bigdude, are you looking to part ways with the NEA lower handguard and sections now that it won't be in use? :D

Offline Bigdude

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 12:49:23 AM »
No, unfortunately I plan to keep it. It took me several years of searching to finally find one for sale, rare item.

Offline Clemson

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 03:54:30 AM »
I have a CNC Warrior upper on it's way, would be pretty disappointed and surprised if it did not work for my yet to be purchased sight.

Offline Clemson

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 09:23:41 PM »
I just received mine and the pin hole does not quite line up. Yes, I backed out the set screws. Before I start filing, does anyone have advice or experience with this issue?

Offline Clemson

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 10:06:33 PM »
After further investigation and measurement, we have a machine tolerance error. Some where between .005 and .010 where it sits on the receiver(difference side to side) .

Offline RSR

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 04:44:35 AM »
After further investigation and measurement, we have a machine tolerance error. Some where between .005 and .010 where it sits on the receiver(difference side to side) .

Return it.

Offline lionhart

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 08:30:51 AM »
I got one set from their first batch and liked it so much, I bought two more from their second. No issues with the pinhole lining up for the upper cover.
I bought the first one to test the Manta heat reducing rail covers. I wanted a handguard that wouldn't heat up as quickly. To my delight, even after five magazines, the handguard stayed nice and cool, hence my second order for two more sets for my other CSA rifles. Definitely, the way to go to reduce heat! While the Manta covers aren't exactly inexpensive, they certainly work in keeping the heat off my paws for extended shooting periods. Nice handguards, great fit, and finish. Really, really, like them! I didn't need to use any of the set screws. The tops fit fairly snug, and other than a Manta cover on the top, I'm not mounting anything else to the upper where I'd have to have it affixed with the included screws.

For anyone sitting on the fence, I can certainly recommend them with no reservations of any kind!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 08:44:39 AM by lionhart »

Offline Clemson

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 12:16:56 PM »
 I am returning mine due to a defect. The return label has a 24 hour expiration so I had to schedule a time for it to be sent, so that I can get to the library to print it. Though it still looks like my best option, I am a bit disappointed with the QC, as it has caused extra time and run around for me. I just hope they take the time to look over the replacement before they send it. I also have a C-more clone on it's way and will give a full report when it all comes together.

Offline RSR

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 01:29:29 AM »
I am returning mine due to a defect. The return label has a 24 hour expiration so I had to schedule a time for it to be sent, so that I can get to the library to print it. Though it still looks like my best option, I am a bit disappointed with the QC, as it has caused extra time and run around for me. I just hope they take the time to look over the replacement before they send it. I also have a C-more clone on it's way and will give a full report when it all comes together.

Wow, awfully short turnaround on the shipping label!  Really disappointing to hear from CNCW.

Offline RSR

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 01:37:05 AM »
I got one set from their first batch and liked it so much, I bought two more from their second. No issues with the pinhole lining up for the upper cover.
I bought the first one to test the Manta heat reducing rail covers. I wanted a handguard that wouldn't heat up as quickly. To my delight, even after five magazines, the handguard stayed nice and cool, hence my second order for two more sets for my other CSA rifles. Definitely, the way to go to reduce heat! While the Manta covers aren't exactly inexpensive, they certainly work in keeping the heat off my paws for extended shooting periods. Nice handguards, great fit, and finish. Really, really, like them! I didn't need to use any of the set screws. The tops fit fairly snug, and other than a Manta cover on the top, I'm not mounting anything else to the upper where I'd have to have it affixed with the included screws.

For anyone sitting on the fence, I can certainly recommend them with no reservations of any kind!

I find the bonesteel gen 1 lower to be too short heightwise and too wide widthwise...   So it's "short and squat."   And it doesn't feel good in hand or comparable to handguards I've had on any other weapon system, including ARs and AKs and VZ58s (NEA).   Widthwise, probably closest to magpul MOE, but then again too short -- would have required a rail riser (effectively lowerer) on the bottom rail to mount a magpul afg so that the thumb (facing forward) naturally aligns on the top of the side rail at a point allowing optimal control without canting wrist down...  Previous post here regarding a couple years back.

Gen 2 definitely looks to be less wide, and perhaps slightly taller but haven't purchased this new item or held in hand.

anything