Author Topic: Beretta M9A3 Review  (Read 585 times)

Offline Hrfunk

Beretta M9A3 Review
« on: March 18, 2019, 07:56:28 AM »
Hi all! Here's my take on the pistol the Army passed on. Be sure to let me know what you think!

Howard

Offline Tenbones

Re: Beretta M9A3 Review
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »
I'll be interested in seeing your opinion of the two styles of grips after you have had a chance to shoot with them.  I found that the lower back edge (corner) of the Vertex grips would dig into the meaty portion of my thumb when shooting and making the gun uncomfortable to shoot.  Switching over to the Hogues resolved that problem.

Looking forward to Part 2.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 10:36:18 AM »
I picked up the black version 6 weeks ago. I ended up liking the vertex grips although I bought a set of hogue G10's as an upgrade. I also added a Wilson Combat low profile single side safety lever which I like real well.
I have 1500 rounds through the gun so far with zero malfunctions of any kind and the gun is extremely accurate and a real pleasure to shoot. The M9A3 is easily becoming one of my favorite pistols and just may become my primary home defense pistol.

Offline John A.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 01:46:51 PM »
That looks like a very nice looking pistol Howard.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I saved it to my list to watch later this evening after supper.

Anyway, I only have 1 beretta.  I bought it from a guy I used to work with about 6 years ago.  It's one of the older centurions.  Full size frame and shares mags with the 92/m9 but has a shorter commander sized barrel and slide.  All metal parts.  The slide feels like it's on ball bearings.  It is a really nice quality gun all jokes aside.  Here's a vanity shot of it with the Recover grip on it.

It was my favorite 9mm until I got the Canik S120/CZ75 'ish clone and it just shoots a little better at longer ranges.  My HD handgun is the Sar K245 though.  It's awesome.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 02:15:49 PM »
That looks like a nice pistol! It shares some features with the M9A3.

Howard

Offline John A.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 02:28:50 PM »
Thanks.

It's basically just an older shortened 92fs.  I don't know what possessed beretta to discontinue them.

The grip and the light rail is an aftermarket grip made by ReCover grips in Israel.  They're really good quality.  I actually had another set in my spare parts for a long time that fit on any 92 besides the S model that had the mag release on the bottom of the grip.

The night sights were factory and have been returned to Trijicon to replace them about 4 years ago.

It is a decent handgun.

Wilson combat offers a model they call the 92G centurion tactical that is similar to the A3 you have.  If you haven't seen them, they'd be worth a look, if for nothing else than just to look at it.

I have been looking at the M9a3 for a while now.  They look great.  I'm looking forward to watching your range review of it and seeing what you think afterwards. 
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »
I have 2 M9A3s one in the "tactical peanut butter" and one black and green. The tpb wears the Hogue grip, the b&g will stay as a Vertec. My wife prefers the Vertec, so the b&g is mostly her gun.

Mr. Funk, the 2 best upgrades you can do are cheap, easy, and will make your pistol even better. Put in an LTT 14 pound hammer spring and a Beretta Elite II hammer. 10 minutes at most and will make the trigger even smoother and lighter.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:05:13 PM by Ron M. »

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:43:56 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it!

Howard