Author Topic: CZ P-09 Ransom Rest Results  (Read 4998 times)

Offline Wmvdg123

CZ P-09 Ransom Rest Results
« on: March 17, 2019, 01:44:50 PM »
The CZ P-09 is polymer gun that is quite accurate. I have been working up loads and feel I have found a few things that improve accuracy in my gun. Getting a ransom rest really helped pin down what is effective, but it is technique sensitive.

Here is a video of my load with 115gr hornady xtp's, 6.0gr of power pistol, COAL 1.125, federal gold match primers. The two 10 shoot groups measured 1.18 inches and 1.35 inches at 50 yards.

Here are some things that helped with my gun.
-Maximizing accuracy with the ransom rest. I started using the ransom rest like the AccuracyX videos (which are amazing by the way!). I stumbled upon an alternative technique. I attached a string to the ransom rest and pull this back with my left hand and quickly return the ransom rest with my right hand. This allows it to be very consistent. You can see this on the videos I posted below from my powder work up on some 115gr HAPs.
-Used starline brass cleaned with wet tumbling (I use the Franklin platinum tumbler) and lengthened with the EGW U-die, the average length even with multiple firings is 0.750 inches.
-Expanded to just allow the bullet to slip in using the Custom Powder Funnel from Uniquetek.com
-No crimp
-There aren't any oversized match barrels like for 1911's, so I added some epoxy to the side of the barrel, opposite of the extractor. This helps tighten up the slide to barrel fit, and on the CZ the slide to frame fit is quite good.

Here are some videos of a powder work up with power pistol.
6.2gr power pistol

6.0gr power pistol

5.8gr power pistol

Wayne
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 12:05:06 PM by Wmvdg123 »

Offline Woffar

Re: CZ P-09 Ransom Rest Results
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 02:58:36 PM »
Amazing work! Throw a p10 in there too.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 03:56:59 PM »
Neat, i do not believe that i have seen a ransom rest run on film before. The closest i had seen would be JoeL.  ;D

Thank you for the post and videos OP, interesting stuff.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Joe L

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 04:13:51 PM »
Wayne, that was very interesting. 

I've never used a Ransom rest but it looks a look quicker (after an initial setup) than using a red dot and a wrist rest! 

My P-09 hasn't had anything like epoxy or weld material added to it, because it is absolutely match gun fit from the factory.  I've always thought the group size possible with the Atlanta Arms 115 gr JHP ammo I use was limited by my eyesight more than by the ammo itself.  Some days I just can't shoot under 1.5" at 50 yards with the P-09 but most days I can. I hope to get to try it in a Ransom rest sometime.  I was always worried, perhaps unnecessarily, about the gun moving slightly in the fixture or the fixture not returning to exactly the same spot for each shot.

My P-10F seems to have a very good lockup as well.  My P-10C is the only CZ I have that is a little loose at the chamber end, but it is still good, just not bullseye match grade tight. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline Wmvdg123

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 12:00:25 AM »
Thanks JoeL, I actually got the p-09 based on your videos! It is a pretty awesome gun. Sometime I might get an p-07 and ransom rest it. It took a while to find that golden load but it works great with 115 xtps and 115 haps.
Wayne

Offline miller_man

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 07:48:41 AM »
Awesome videos.
List of guns here?

Offline joedirt199

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 05:43:09 PM »
I thought it was good when I shot groups like that with my reddot p09 off a rolled up shooting mat rest at 20 yards. Good to know it is capable of much more.
God created Police so Fireman would have heroes

In God we Trust, everyone else gets searched.

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 10:39:07 PM »
Very impressive. Thanks for taking the time to pull all that together and share!

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 08:12:54 AM »
Some days I just can't shoot under 1.5" at 50 yards with the P-09 but most days I can. 

WOW - thanks for the vid and thanks JoeL for the confirmation that I wasn't crazy for 'investing' in P09s.  Great guns and plenty of potential.  Seems like they are amazing with or without tweaking. 

Wonder how they would be next to a Shadow target on the Ransom rest. 

Thanks again. 

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 08:31:06 PM »
It is my understanding that polymer frame guns are too pliable to be used in the Ransom Rest. How did you make your P-09 stay inside the insert?

Offline eastman

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 08:53:56 PM »
It is my understanding that polymer frame guns are too pliable to be used in the Ransom Rest. How did you make your P-09 stay inside the insert?

I've heard somewhere that miracles can be worked with JB Weld and Sugru.

:D
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Wmvdg123

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 09:23:26 AM »
well that is true miracles can be worked with J-B weld! The ransom rest company makes inserts for almost all modern handguns, the polymer handguns have to be shot more to have them settle to be accurate, it takes I would say about 50 rounds for my guns to settle. The p-09 and p-07 ave a very tight slide to frame fit, unlike say a Glock which allows them to do better in a ransom rest.

Hickeroar

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 02:11:21 PM »
That 6.2gr power pistol video at 2:14. Yikes. Wonder where that one ended up landing...

Edit: The first and last shot on the 6.0gr video (1:04 & 1:24) got "sent" too. Not trying to be critical, but man, check the orientation of the pistol before firing it in that thing... No doubt that those thing went WAY over that burm and landed who-knows-where. I didn't watch every shot, but if I spotted those ones there very well may be other instances of this in your videos.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 02:19:32 PM by Hickeroar »

Offline Wmvdg123

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 02:31:07 PM »
Yes that is intentional, I always fire the first and last shoots into the mountain which is directly behind targets. The first, and to a much lesser degree last, shoots are not measuring the mechanical accuracy of the gun. If you watch accuracyx they already have round chambered and they previously fired the gun and left the last round in the gun. I'm lucky I have the mountain behind the targets.

Hickeroar

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 02:58:12 PM »
Fair enough. At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all or armchair-quarterback: I would add that I probably would still never take that action simply because you never know when someone unexpected could be walking around in the distance behind that burm. But...I don't want to be a butt-head, so feel free to ignore that opinion.  :P

anything