Author Topic: CZ P09 Failures to Fire. Ammo?  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Claymore504

CZ P09 Failures to Fire. Ammo?
« on: March 19, 2019, 08:53:15 AM »
Took my P09 UG SR to the range a few weeks back along with a Beretta 92A1, Brand new P01 UG SR and P320 Full size TacOps.

The P09 has some CGW parts which are:

61050 Extended Firing Pin
HS-18 Hammer Spring
61100 Firing Pin Retaining
RP-TRS Reduced Power Trigger Return Spring

I was firing Sellier & Bellot 9mm 115gr FMJ and had 4 failures to fire. Not sure if it matters, but it was always near the end of a mag and on a SA pull. All rounds fired after loading and firing again. I had no malfunctions like this on any of the other handguns I brought. The CZ P01 is all stock and so is the P320. The Beretta 92A1 has a Beretta D spring and Beretta elite hammer installed.

I really have not used S&B ammo in many years. Is it known to cause flaures to fire sometimes? I am hoping the P09 is not having issues and it was the ammo. The P09 has about 500 rounds through it and the CGW parts were installed when it was new.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
Re: CZ P09 Failures to Fire. Ammo?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 08:54:58 AM »
Try different ammunition.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline seebee62

CZ P09 Failures to Fire. Ammo?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 09:32:59 AM »
Over  the past few months I?ve shot 2000 rounds of S&B in a stock P07 a P320, P10C and M&P 2.0 Compact and a Sig 1911 Tacops 9mm. Not one malfunction of any kind.  All guns are stock except for Sights on the M&P

Definitely try different ammo to see if you can reproduce the malfunctions and maybe try 100 rounds of S&B to see if happens again.

I had 2 rounds of Hornady CD failure to fire in my P07 during a range trip that wouldn?t fire in any gun. 2 rounds out of 80. I chalked it up to being duds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline StuckonGlocks21

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 01:41:25 PM »
You said you had a CGW hammer spring. If this spring is weaker than stock, that?s your problem I think. If not, check the other non stock parts for issues.
Any time I run non stock parts, lots of testing is needed to ensure reliability. With a weaker hammer spring you?ll have to carefully pick the ammo it will reliability fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »
Know this - SOME P guns will run hard primers with CGW springs and parts while others not as well..

Most of my Pguns will run Wolf with no problem.  One has some trouble (about 1 round in 100).

But this is with the 15 LB spring.  The 18 LBer should light everything, but some may have trouble.  The frame to slide dimensions may be 'off'. Talk to CGW. 

Offline WWG1WGA

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 02:24:53 PM »
OP - In your list of parts, I didn't see a reduced-power firing pin spring. That may be your culprit.

CGW lists that spring as a "must" if you're going to fiddle with the hammer springs.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/97041-cgw-reduced-power-p-0709shadowcz97-firing-pin-spring/

If you decide to buy it, get the reduced power safety plunger spring and follow the great threads on this site to polish up the internals. Game changer.

I ALMOST sold my P-09 until I 'dolled it up'. Now it's my favorite 9mm.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 02:29:01 PM »
OP - In your list of parts, I didn't see a reduced-power firing pin spring. That may be your culprit. 
  YES!! This MAY be part of it. It may be all of it.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 06:53:21 PM »
  YES!! This MAY be part of it. It may be all of it.
As I recall the CGW extended firing pin comes with the spring.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 09:09:54 PM »
https://cajungunworks.com/product/61050-perfection-series-firing/

True.  Unless he did not use that spring.

So back to my original point. Basically,  every P gun is it?s own animal. Some have no problem lighting all kinds of primers with a 15 pound spring and some evidently may have trouble even with an 18 pound spring.

Offline flattusmaximus78

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 09:15:52 PM »
Same gun w/15lb hammer spring and none of the other necessary springs associated with it. Don?t shoot a lot of S&B but I have before and it works.

It will set off anything. I?m scared to put the other springs in and mess with it.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 09:57:20 PM »
I am running two P-07's with:

stock firing pins
CGW 15 lb hammer springs
CGW reduced FP return springs
CGW reduced FPB springs
CGW hammers

I never get a light strike on any ammo.  I don't shoot Wolf or other cheap Russian ammo, but I do shoot S&B.  I actually use S&B ammo to test for light strikes if I make a change to them, because I've been able to reproduce light strikes in other pistols with it, but not with these P-07's as they are currently set up.

The only time I have had an issue with light strikes in either of my P-07's was when I over-polished a FPB plunger and screwed up the geometry of it.  I was also running the CGW short reset kit and extended firing pin at the time.  It was happening rarely, but with multiple types of ammo.  I had them with both the 15 lb and 18 lb CGW hammer springs before I figured out that I had removed too much metal from my FPB plunger and replaced it with a spare I was keeping handy.  Never had that problem again.

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 10:10:47 PM »
I didn't read all the posts above, but curious if there are still indentations on the primers that didn't ignite?

If not, look into the OD roller from CGW.  Or a stock fpb like mentioned in the prior post.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 05:08:53 AM »
https://cajungunworks.com/product/61050-perfection-series-firing/

True.  Unless he did not use that spring.

So back to my original point. Basically,  every P gun is it?s own animal. Some have no problem lighting all kinds of primers with a 15 pound spring and some evidently may have trouble even with an 18 pound spring.

Every gun can be it's own animal brand or model not withstanding.  I ran my particular P-07 with the 18lb hammer spring and the stock FP and FP spring for well over 6k rounds before upgrading with the SRS kit. Never had a failure of any kind in either configuration.
I've always wondered if the hammer spring is under the same tension in the P-09 vs the P-07 given the longer grip on the P-09.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 06:46:07 AM »
Dang.  With that heavy of a hammer spring and extended firing pin I'd beworried about piercing primers, not light strikes.  Not the P series, but S&B has been good stuff, bothe 115 and my fav 124 gr.  My PCR, Matte Stainless, and Canik P120 each have the 3 spring kit and stock firing pin.

Check for obstruction in FP channel, or broken tip of firing pin?

Offline miller_man

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 06:49:20 AM »
CGW trs, firing pin + spring, and 1 with 15lb hammer spring, 1 with 18lb hammer spring - both p-09s with combined 4-5k rounds of S&B. S&B has been some of the most clean and consistent factory ammo I've found. Only ever had light strikes with a factory hammer spring that was cut down some. Never any problems with that ammo after CGW hammer springs installed.
List of guns here?