Author Topic: Brand New SP-01 Jamming  (Read 879 times)

Offline PappaWheelie

• "This is war, and in war, time is of the essence."
    • The Children's Bread
Re: Brand New SP-01 Jamming
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 12:23:09 PM »
Hi and welcome, Brodim!

The SP-01 comes with a beefy (NATO +P+ ammo tailored?) recoil spring that might be resisting your target ammo to the extent that slide bottoming velocity and associated cartridge ejection might be insufficient. This CGW webpage is instructive; https://cajungunworks.com/how-to-select-the-proper-recoil-spring/

And if you're a "newbie" at the range as well as this Forum, it might be that so-called "limp wristing" is exacerbating the issue: the frame must be held fairly immobile vs. the recoil force of the recoil spring to assure the needed relative velocity between slide and frame.

CGW recommends (I think) their 16# recoil spring for target ammo but you'll probably want to hang on to your highly engineered rectangular section stock recoil spring for defense ammo. https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=96929.msg746657#msg746657
Member, Gun Owners of America
CC: CZ 2075 RAMI BD in PappaWheelie Invisible 15 Round RAMI Holster
Homeboy: CZ 97 BD, Underwood 45 Super 120 Grain Xtreme Defender ammo
UBG: CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical Urban Grey Suppressor-ready
-all w/ CGW Short Reset Kit/1485-T2 Disco, 5 "Thick" Trigger, polished SA tooth

Offline adrian

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 12:54:39 PM »
     Hiya Brodie and thx again for your thread and great that ya utilized you tube and military mates in the process. They are also great for inviting to your next range visit to offer suggestions to the new to you sport. And baring the gun having an issue another way to diagnose if your wrists are the culprit. If the jam occurs and you have a spent case caught,some call a stovepipe. The slide dosent fully cycle.The slide didn't have enough velocity to throw the spent casing clear before the slide moved forward and captured the spent casing. The slide can also ride up over the next round in the mag. Believe you were seeing a unspent round in most all your jams, thats the slide not moving fully rearward thus riding up over the next round in the magazine as the slide moves forward and causing the failure to feed.
     If ya haven't heard this before it might could help,a lot. Isosceles,chapman,weaver etc using two hands, firmly push out with your trigger hand and pull back with your support hand. And generally strength wise apply some amount more to support hand and less to shooting hand. This prevents the gun from a sudden muzzle flip and rearward motion,which is whats occurring in the limpwrist ,thats if one even believes it can ever happen,some swear it and gravity are a myth. Be well.

Offline jli567

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 04:32:33 PM »
Prob just some bad ammo, shot some commercially available rounds and see if it still happens.

Offline johnandersonoutdoors

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 06:25:29 PM »
+1 on ammo

I recently picked up my first CZ, a 75 SP01 Shadow custom.  My 9mm reload recipe that I have been using in all my M&P 9s is a 115 grain RMR FMJ loaded to 1.150.  These didn't work in the CZ's chamber and I had to reduce oal to 1.135 (also reduced my powder charge of course) for them to fit the cz.

Offline Brodim

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 01:44:10 AM »
Sorry It took me so long to reply, I changed 2 things since my last time at the range I bought a different gun oil, and I also bought 4 different types of factory ammo when I went to the range this time and didn't have a single jam with any of the 4 brands i picked up. American Eagle, Blazer Brass, Fiocchi, and Winchester. Really liked the blazer brass going to stick with that until i get a few thousand rounds down and after that I will try some reloads again just to see if it happens again. Thanks for everyone who replied.

Offline timetofly

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 08:08:53 AM »
Welcome from Kansas.  The SP-01 is a great pistol to to be on the CA roster for sure.  If you haven't picked up on it yet, CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works are the top 2 CZ shops in my book.  Check them out and see what they can offer you in the way of services and parts.

Let the addiction begin, stay safe.

Offline JLla84

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 08:22:44 AM »
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS, break in a new gun with factory rounds..... variety.... factory 115s, 124s, 147s.... some solid factory defense rounds...always!!!!!!
Visit my IG for USPSA and other shooting videos!
https://www.instagram.com/jlla84/

CZ Shadow 2
CZ Scorpion Carbine
Sig P365
M&P Shield 9mm