Author Topic: RAMI vs P01 concealment  (Read 4934 times)

Offline sybertag

RAMI vs P01 concealment
« on: March 25, 2019, 06:55:09 PM »
I don't know if this is the best board for this, but I assume most of you all have a RAMI...

I'm 5'6 ~145-150 Lbs. I usually carry my RAMI BD AIWB during colder months because I like how it carries and with the pinky extension I can get a full grip on the gun. I don't feel like it prints too much, especially if I throw a flannel on. If I'm wearing a hoodie it generally disappears.

In the past I tried carrying my PCR in warmer weather and I felt like it stuck out like a sore thumb. Maybe that was just me being overly cautious, but one look in the mirror and I never tried it again without a full winter coat.

Anywho, just recently I started carrying my P01 and it seems like the P01 conceals much better and carries more comfortably than my RAMI. I'm carrying both in a Vedder Light-tuck with the claw.

So am I crazy? Does anyone else feel like the P01 carries better than the RAMI?

Offline Pcherry1973

Re: RAMI vs P01 concealment
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:05:37 PM »
I carry a rami every day AIWB and run in to some issues with printing. Just got a p-01 and have put a lot of lead down range with it and have decided I trust it and my ability with it to try carrying it. Ordered a Harry's with a claw and a wedge, so hopefully it will conceal nicely. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Offline adrian

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »
     Hiya sybertag and thx for your thread. If this is a poll,I vote for the po-1, and your cz82 as its back up. You have a great holster as well, don't know if you'd ever considered a high noon shoulder, With the attire you mention,printing would not be an issue, and one just feels what little weight is it less at the end of the day. Be well.

Offline AMM

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 09:08:31 AM »
Some years back I carried  a RAMI BD, and as you mention usually used the extended mag. When I got my first P01 I concluded it concealed just as well. I have been carrying P01s for over a decade now, usually with a steel mag base plate b/c the rubber pads can be grabby on a cover garment.  I must point out that the P01 grip and PCR grip are pretty much identical,  BTW. In summer I usually carry a single stack (G43) these days, unless I have a hawaiian shirt type cover garment.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers 
Kadet II
CZ 75 Shadow SAO
CZ 75 SP01 Shadow 1
455FS 22LR
457 Varmint MTR 22LR
457 Training 22LR
527FS 5.56x45

Offline sybertag

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 11:34:54 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm very interested in hearing your feedback PCherry. Maybe it's just personal preference but I think my RAMI may soon be replaced entirely during the colder months.

@Adrian: I am working on getting the CZ82 into my rotation, it definitely conceals better and more comfortably than the RAMI. I've never considered a shoulder holster personally, but I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it. Come the summer months though that would be a no-go so I'd just assume stick with AIWB.

@AMM: I never really tried the PCR much after I got the RAMI, during the summer I'd switch between the RAMI and a SIG P938 and the RAMI is pushing it. I may give it a shot again once it warms up just to see if I can pull it off but I'm sceptical.

The day CZ comes out with a compact or subcompact single stack 9mm I'll likely sell the SIG and pick that up instead. I'd love it if it was metal framed, but I'd settle for polymer if its done right.

Offline dbarn

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 04:11:57 PM »
I do like the shorter frame for concealment with the Rami and 10 rd magazine. Especially at the gro store and bent down retrieving items from the shelf or sitting in a car. With the extended mag it then becomes the size of the P-01 or PCR. I usually carry a spare 14 rd regular P-01 mag in my opposing pocket.

I have the Vedder IWB holster and will say that I wound up cutting the "sweat shield" even with the opposite side to make carry much more comfortable. That thing is like a blade cutting into your side.

Offline Pcherry1973

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 07:55:22 PM »
I carry a rami every day AIWB and run in to some issues with printing. Just got a p-01 and have put a lot of lead down range with it and have decided I trust it and my ability with it to try carrying it. Ordered a Harry's with a claw and a wedge, so hopefully it will conceal nicely. I'll let you know how it goes.

Update: I've been carrying the p-01 in a harry's holster now for a few weeks and, I gotta say, it's concealing far better than my RAMI, although I blame that more on the holster than the gun. So, next purchase is a holster with a claw for the RAMI, but, for now, I find myself carrying the p-01 far more.

Offline Dr.Juice

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 04:45:34 PM »
I carry a P-07 during coat months and the RAMI in T-shirt weather. The RAMI disappears under a T-shirt while the P-07 can be done but I can't bend down and pick up my kid with out the grip popping out and saying hello to everyone. I carry in a Vedder holster as well but at the 3:30 position.

Offline sybertag

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 08:37:51 PM »
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this.

I've also been more mindful of this the last week or so and noticed that the comfort factor seems to be more from the fact that the RAMI digs into a more sensitive spot on my pelvis (even with a diy foam wedge). I think the slight increase in discomfort is going a long way in my noticing the gun.

As for the grip, I had on a plain black cotton t-shirt today and could barely notice it.

Offline cousinmark

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 07:13:32 AM »
...my $.02
The Rami with a 10 round magazine works best for me concealment wise. I'm 5'11" and 170#, unless I have a jacket on hiding the extended magazine is pretty much impossible.

Offline Old-Duckman

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 12:47:15 PM »

Update: I've been carrying the p-01 in a harry's holster now for a few weeks and, I gotta say, it's concealing far better than my RAMI, although I blame that more on the holster than the gun. So, next purchase is a holster with a claw for the RAMI, but, for now, I find myself carrying the p-01 far more.

IMO it's pretty much always about the holster. I love my RAMI and, yes it is thick and short. When I carry it I never use the 14 rounder. I have a DeSantis Speed Scabbard for the RAMI and I use the bottom 2 loops...in that condition the piece tends to lean away from the body too much.

I have a Wright Leather Works Predator Pancake for my PCR and it conceals better than the Rami but my over-shirt needs to be longer as the rig sits lower on my hip then the RAMI/DeSantis combo. I shoot the PCR slightly better than the RAMI and is seems "thinner". I plan on getting a WLW Predator for the RAMI but haven't done so yet.

I love both of those CZs and cycle several other handguns into the CC rotation though I think it best to stick to one or two at most for muscle memory reasons, should the need ever arise to have to deploy a weapon. My favorite "Big Gun" to carry is a Walther PPQ 45 in a WLW Predator. It conceals quite nicely on my small frame though I most always have my shirt untucked when out and about. If I'm too dressed to conceal I use a North American Arms Guardian in .380 in a wallet style holster.