Author Topic: Can I switch out the mag release on P10S for "old" P10C unit?  (Read 1908 times)

Offline tire iron

I know I am in the minority on this - but I *really* like the mirror image ambi mag release on my P10C that has been my EDC gun for quite a while now.  I have been eye-balling the new P10S for those times my P10C is slightly too large for how I am dressing, but I don't like that the mag release is single side only.  I want my EDC guns to operate EXACTLY the same.  So....will the "old school" P10C mag release (mirror image/ambi) unit retro-fit into the P10S?

Thanks in advance!

cheers

tire iron

Offline timetofly

Re: Can I switch out the mag release on P10S for "old" P10C unit?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 01:02:43 AM »
Hi,

As I understand, no. 
All of life’s journeys begin by putting one foot in front of the other.

Offline tire iron

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 11:14:11 AM »
 :-[

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 04:22:28 AM »
I think also no, but nothing says you can't call CZ-USA and ask the gunsmiths there.

Offline Dj1001

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 07:22:53 PM »
not sure about the magazine release itself but I do know that the p10s magazines do have both cutouts to accept the older style ambi and new style single side magazine release. Not sure why they would put those on the p10s magazine but that may give hope to the older release fitting.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 03:16:41 AM »
The have both so they can not only be used in all models of the P-10, but the P-07/P-09 as required. 8)

Offline Dj1001

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 08:11:11 AM »
The have both so they can not only be used in all models of the P-10, but the P-07/P-09 as required. 8)

The p10s magazines are too short to work in any other CZ product as far as I know.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 09:16:04 AM »
Looking at a photo of the new style mags, it looks like the new cutouts for the new reversible P-10 mag catch is of a different size and shape, in addition to being in a different location, on each magazine.  Seems unlikely to me that the old P-10 mag catch could be installed in a new pistol's frame, and that it would work.

On a related note, I ordered two new P-07 mags from gregcotellc a couple of weeks ago, and they arrived without the new cutouts, but someone posted a picture of their new P-07 in the box around the same timeframe, and their new mags had the new cutouts.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 09:38:10 PM »

The p10s magazines are too short to work in any other CZ product as far as I know.
The P-10s series magazines are built to be used in the P-07 and P-09 series guns, which makes you wonder, doesn't it, why DOES the P-10S magazine have that same cutout...could it be something else is in the works, who knows....

Offline CzechLands

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 11:55:12 AM »

The P-10s series magazines are built to be used in the P-07 and P-09 series guns, which makes you wonder, doesn't it, why DOES the P-10S magazine have that same cutout...could it be something else is in the works, who knows....
Or CZ stamps all its magazines with the same holes, then cut them to fit all the different sizes.

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 09:03:28 PM »
I just made a video on taking apart the magazine release on my new P10F.
It has the new magazine release system, the reversible kind.
As compare to the previous P10 generations, made to catch in the center of the magazines, the new system is the same as the P07/P09 and CZ75 Omega. It's made to catch the sides of the magazines.
It can be taken apart by inserting a small object, like a small screw driver inside the mag release and depress a spring, this will let go the top retaining pin (more visual details on the video once uploaded).
I can see some interchangeable parts between those models too. Like the spring and pin inside the mag release.

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 05:30:38 AM »
Here is the video

Offline Indy_Tim

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 07:27:23 AM »
I know I am in the minority on this - but I *really* like the mirror image ambi mag release on my P10C that has been my EDC gun for quite a while now.  I have been eye-balling the new P10S for those times my P10C is slightly too large for how I am dressing, but I don't like that the mag release is single side only.  I want my EDC guns to operate EXACTLY the same.  So....will the "old school" P10C mag release (mirror image/ambi) unit retro-fit into the P10S?

Thanks in advance!

cheers

tire iron

I?m with you on thinking that the new mag release is a step backwards to address a problem that didn?t exist.  I?ll eventually end up with a third P10C but will opt for a used early one instead of the new one.

The P10S will find its way into the collection too but there?s nothing to be done about that mag release.

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 08:02:05 AM »

Thanks in advance!

cheers

tire iron

I?m with you on thinking that the new mag release is a step backwards to address a problem that didn?t exist.  I?ll eventually end up with a third P10C but will opt for a used early one instead of the new one.

The P10S will find its way into the collection too but there?s nothing to be done about that mag release.

Going from the old style "mirror image" mag to the "reversible" release seams to be a sensible manufacturing uniformity between models AND also customers magazines uniformity.
If you look at CZ mags right now, they have holes and notches all over, trying to accomplish that role.
Switching to the new style allows us to use the same magazines for different guns, isn't what we want?
I predict that magazines with the old style hole will slowly fade away.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 03:53:25 AM »

Or CZ stamps all its magazines with the same holes, then cut them to fit all the different sizes.

That is VERY possible!

anything