Author Topic: is a Bren or Bren 2 recommend for rifle noobs?  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Shorty Lickens

is a Bren or Bren 2 recommend for rifle noobs?
« on: March 29, 2019, 11:38:17 PM »
Or should I start with an AR-15, learn, and then make the switch later?

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: is a Bren or Bren 2 recommend for rifle noobs?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 03:38:49 AM »
The BREN 805 was what I had before I owned any AR model. It has a great trigger and dead bang reliable, but heavier than most ARs I've handled. It is sweet shooting and fun, I can tell you that, with no ear SPROOIINNNGG. Of course, putting the Strike flatwire spring in the AR helped a great deal. :)
The biggest downfall of the BREN 805 is that it is an orphan, imported for two years, limited support ad accessories. Fantastic rifle, but what's here is what's always going to be here.
The BREN 2 I am drooling over, though I can't figure out if I want to sell blood plasma for the BREN 2 carbine, or the BREN 2 BR in 308...it's a hard toss up, really. Every report shows great, but the numbers in the US are exactly 300 of the first models, which are not going to be the US made models. I am, of course, dead set on getting one...even if I have to crawl into the blood plasma store one...last...time...
Starting with an AR can save you a ton of money - Palmetto State Armory has KILLER deals all the time now, as it is the salad days of ARs. You can buy the Freedom upper and Freedom lower together and get a rifle only needing a rear sight or optic for right about $350. Or build your own, if you dare - I had a VERY good buddy who put both of mine together for pennies on the dollar with many donated parts, and I learned more about the workings of the AR than I would have buying one pre-assembled. However, if you don't know someone with tools and know how, that could quickly spiral out of control money wise, buying tools, vise, etc. AR15s have been sold continuously in the US since 1963, and are called the Barbie Doll for men due to the insane number of aftermarket components/upgrades/options/whiz bang stuff available. Do understand, I am NOT knocking the BREN in any way shape or form - I AM the CZ guy, after all, and I won't part with my 805 without one HECKUVA fight...but if you have never, ever had an Modern Sporting Rife, an AR is a great way to get into it on the cheap, and then move right into the BREN. You will also appreciate the excellent BREN trigger when you get it over the milspec stock AR trigger...which you can also upgrade. :)
Does that confuse things nicely?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 12:23:14 AM by armoredman »

Offline Shorty Lickens

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 06:45:48 AM »
VERY HELPFUL THANK YOU!!

Offline Brenfan

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 02:25:15 PM »
Check out my thread, 805 and I couldn't be more happy.
I have the 805 in an 11" barrel with an sbr folding brace.
And, wouldnt ya know, she is still considered a pistol!
That is huge imo. The 805 I have is as mentioned before and above, an incredibly fun rifle to shoot. By far the softest shooting 223 I've ever shot.
I must say, that if I were you Inwould get one. I've ever only owned 1 ar before. So, I'm a newb too, and the bren 805 is awesome
Good luck!

Offline cops312

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 02:38:18 PM »
FYI.....I would refrain from calling it an ?SBR? folding brace. It?s just a folding arm brace period.

Offline adrian

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »
     Hiya Shorty and thanks for your thread. Think the A-man covers it proper for ya. Being a pistol gun thru and thru, I even take the stocks of my shotguns and foregrip em. I did the same to a new factory Bren pistol and other than being heavy is fun ,easy to shoot and more accurate than I am. Never considered a brace for it with its set up. It can become a SBR if someone wants to go there. If a true blue rifle noob,ask a mate to try out their platform or check into a couple rental ones at the range. Those sometimes offer optics paired to help you envision the range of possibilities available to you. Shop gently used here or even ask for a particular platform you are looking for, there are a lot of safe queens in need of good homes out there. Either way its a fun time doing all the looking to. Be well.

Offline Brenfan

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 03:41:00 PM »
FYI.....I would refrain from calling it an ?SBR? folding brace. It?s just a folding arm brace period.

Lol, I mean to say SBT or sb tactical
Not that I'm really worried about saying sbr.

Offline sf.nm

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 08:17:58 PM »
I own multiple AR's from different brands including Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt, and many others. I also own non AR's like FN SCARS, CZ 805 bren, CZ bren 2, and much much more. But out of everything I own in 5.56, 7.62, or any of the other calibers I own my CZ 805 Bren fde w ACR stock is by far my absolute favorite rifle. So to me and many that know me that says a lot but also everybody's different. One other neat thing in my opinion about the 805 Bren is down the road I see them being collectible because there aren't many out there and what's out there is pretty much the amount of them is going to stay at that amount. But don't be mistaken I still run all my 805 Bren's and Bren 2's none of them have ever disappointed me.

YMMV but I would be 100% sure if you picked a Bren you'd be happy w your decision.

Offline cops312

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 10:10:11 PM »
I own multiple AR's from different brands including Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt, and many others. I also own non AR's like FN SCARS, CZ 805 bren, CZ bren 2, and much much more. But out of everything I own in 5.56, 7.62, or any of the other calibers I own my CZ 805 Bren fde w ACR stock is by far my absolute favorite rifle. So to me and many that know me that says a lot but also everybody's different. One other neat thing in my opinion about the 805 Bren is down the road I see them being collectible because there aren't many out there and what's out there is pretty much the amount of them is going to stay at that amount. But don't be mistaken I still run all my 805 Bren's and Bren 2's none of them have ever disappointed me.

YMMV but I would be 100% sure if you picked a Bren you'd be happy w your decision.

So you like the 805 better than the Bren 2, why is that? Everything that I have heard is the Brent 2 is much better and is everything the 805 should have been.

Offline CZBren805

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 11:57:57 PM »
Two schools of thought:

1. Start with the AR platform.  It is generally less expensive and has an enormous after market of accessories and parts.  So, as a beginner you can experiment and try different things until you figure out what you really like.

2. Jump right to the best.  If you are the type of person who always appreciates quality and is willing to pay for it then starting with the AR can be a waste of time and money.   

Either choice is good if it is right for you.  Do some soul searching and remember that the best weapon is the one you actually are motivated to take to the range, practice with and use.

Offline Psyop96

is a Bren or Bren 2 recommend for rifle noobs?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 07:55:55 AM »

So you like the 805 better than the Bren 2, why is that? Everything that I have heard is the Brent 2 is much better and is everything the 805 should have been.
I own neither version but have had some limited range time with both versions (rifle with 11-14 inch barrels). The Bren 2?s ?form factor? is a definite improvement to me over the original. The 805 is front heavy, blocky in feel and the stock with cheek rest  looks cobbled together. Some may argue there are operating advantages to a reciprocating operating handle but that location (unlike say, an M1A?s) just does not suit me. The Bren 2 is well balanced and wrapped around with cleaner ?furniture? to include the new stock (as ugly as it may look) that shoulders perfectly for me, has effective bolt hold/release levers and easier to manipulate operating switch.

It?s a very well thought out follow up design. Time and operational experience will tell where this one ranks among the current assault and semi-auto rifles out there. For a ?noob?, I echo the comments about the advantages of the AR platform with its many derivatives (direct impingement and piston) where you can find from economical to the ?best? at a premium price. Best of luck with your quest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline FelonyJo

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 08:46:20 AM »
[/quote]

I can?t speak to the Bren 2 cuz I haven?t shot one. But I own much lighter AR?s than the 805, and I?ll tell ya, I love the non existent recoil with the 805. Now granted, the 556 doesn?t have a ton of recoil but I?ve never been able to shoot as fast and as accurately as I can with the 805. So it?s added weight? Who cares. My weapon is operational and it?s never been a hindrance to me.

Offline Brenfan

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 09:53:46 AM »

I can?t speak to the Bren 2 cuz I haven?t shot one. But I own much lighter AR?s than the 805, and I?ll tell ya, I love the non existent recoil with the 805. Now granted, the 556 doesn?t have a ton of recoil but I?ve never been able to shoot as fast and as accurately as I can with the 805. So it?s added weight? Who cares. My weapon is operational and it?s never been a hindrance to me.
[/quote]

Right on brother. I've never been able to tap steel as fast as I have with my 805. Man, is she sweet!

Offline Aries144

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 12:44:36 PM »
Your preference, intentions, and budget are the biggest factors. For the most part, a longarm is a longarm. There are some nuances and differences in controls, but the fundamentals are the same. If you plan on doing lots and lots of shooting, more than a couple thousand rounds a year, maintenance and the cost and availability of parts is something to be taken into account. Springs and other parts typically last 5,000 rounds or more, but can break sooner. Barrels can last anywhere from 6000-20,000 rounds, depending on the ammo used and firing schedule (and what level of precision you find acceptable). Getting replacement parts can be an issue for foreign made rifles, whereas all the AR15's parts are relatively inexpensive and constantly available in the states still spiritually part of the US.

CZ has been pretty good about making replacement parts available up to this point, but there are always uncertainties when it comes to foreign made firearms. So far, Bren 805 parts became available a year or so ago available and Bren 2 parts will probably come along some time after the Bren 2MS is finally imported.

Offline Laughing Snake

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 12:54:05 PM »
As far as the 'noob' stuff whatever you decide to buy seek out training. It will be fun and you'll learn what you do and don't like in a rifle. I took my 805 to a cqb/run and gun type class and found out I wasn't as much of a fan of two stage triggers as I thought I was. That being said the 805 is still my favorite and my go to rifle trigger and all.

Also don't go crazy on accessories to start with. Actually, don't get any to start with except spare magazines and ammo. You'll waste a lot of money and have a pile of junk in the end. Learn with iron sights first before you go down the expensive optics rabbit hole.

If you can financially swing it, get a Bren and keep making excuses to shoot it more. Otherwise get a budget AR and keep making excuses to shoot it more.