Author Topic: In praise of the P gun  (Read 3002 times)

Offline badwrench

Re: In praise of the P gun
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 10:17:10 AM »
I contacted CZ questioning the coating on the P07/P09 slide and barrel. They gave me a vague anser saying it was nitride. As for the chamber, I looked at my P07/P09 compared to some other handguns (P320, M&P Shield, P365, Beretta 92A1 and M&P M2.0 5 inch) and the chambers looked the same as far as I can tell. When I compared the P07/P09 to my other CZ handguns (SP-01 Tac, P01 Omega and 75B) the chambers on the 75 series seem to look a little different than the P07/P09.

I guess I am not super familiar with what a "left in the white" chambr would look like, but I am guessing it would just look like raw steel.

Exactly, it would be a silver/ stainless looking color.  The SP01,P01, and 75b all have a black oxide finish on them which is pretty much just cosmetic, it offer zero rust protection, so, don't be fooled by it.. Unless CZ has changed things the chamber on your 09/07 should be in the white, look at the feedramp, what color is it?  As far as the Beretta goes, those barrels, unless they're stainless (and they'll be marked "stainless" on top of the barrel) are chrome lined, and have been for quite some time.. The M&P barrels are stainless as well
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:31:31 AM by badwrench »

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »
The barrels on my P07 and P09 have polished feed ramps that look much the same as my M&Ps. My P07 and P09 are made in the 2018.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 02:31:41 PM »
Even stainless can corrode.

Ever seen one of those rusted up "perfection" pistols?  People try to blame those on sweat, salty environments, etc.  The cause is lack of surface protection.  The finish is better than bare metal but even those special finishes will corrode if neglected long enough, often enough.

Either wipe it down with an oily cloth or put a couple coats of good car wax on it (hard to do in the chamber/barrel, but oil works just fine where you can't wax.  I waxed three P01 magazines last summer.  The rest of the summer, when I'd come in from outside working, I'd pull the magazines out of the pistol and the pouch and wipe the sweat/rain, etc. off with a paper towel and put them back in the cabinet till the next day, next trip outside.  Those blued magazines would look shiny/new after every wiping to dry them off.  When I got the XD 5" Tactical I waxed those stainless magazines and even waxed the outside of the stainless steel slide.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline badwrench

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 10:37:08 AM »
Even stainless can corrode.

Ever seen one of those rusted up "perfection" pistols?  People try to blame those on sweat, salty environments, etc.  The cause is lack of surface protection.  The finish is better than bare metal but even those special finishes will corrode if neglected long enough, often enough.

Either wipe it down with an oily cloth or put a couple coats of good car wax on it (hard to do in the chamber/barrel, but oil works just fine where you can't wax.  I waxed three P01 magazines last summer.  The rest of the summer, when I'd come in from outside working, I'd pull the magazines out of the pistol and the pouch and wipe the sweat/rain, etc. off with a paper towel and put them back in the cabinet till the next day, next trip outside.  Those blued magazines would look shiny/new after every wiping to dry them off.  When I got the XD 5" Tactical I waxed those stainless magazines and even waxed the outside of the stainless steel slide.

Quite true, there many different grades of stainless, the higher the grade of stainless, the more rust resistant it is, because it has less carbon in it.. And I'd guess gun manfacturers aren't using the higher grades. They want something while stainless, is easy to machine easy on the tooling, and isn't terribly expensive.The S&W M&P is a good example, as S&W choose to have the barrels and slide nitrided..this is a bit tricky as stainless and nitride don't play well together..

I've been using Renaissance wax on my blued mags, I put a coat or two on every couple of weeks, so far so, good, we'll see how well it does when summer comes.. I think it'll work just fine..

As far as rusted up Glocks go, I've only ever seen one or two, and both of them were badly abused..Myself, I'm kinda against oiling the bore of a barrel on a carry gun.. the reason for this goes back to rifle shooting, but it applys here.
When you shoot a cartridge, the case expands to the chamber wall and stops, the case also gets a grip on the chamber wall. By doing this, this distributes the pressure that 's created evenly around the chamber. When you introduce oil in the chamber, and don't wipe it out, the case now can't get a grip on the chamber wall, and all of the pressure is now directed back towards the breech face. Just remember, a 9mm round is considered a high pressure round, look at the CUP it develops, and it's not that far from a 30'06..This is why I don't leave oil the bores on guns I intend to carry that day, if there's any in there from storage, I wipe it out first.. Why put extra stress on the gun for that first round? This is mainly why I like nitride, with a miminual care, cleaning after shooting etc, wipe it dry, and you're good to go. If you take just basic care of a pistol with a nitrided barrel you'll likely never have a problem..especially if you live in a humid climate..Really, when you think about it,there's no reason NOT to have the barrel of a pistol intended as a ccw protected with something besides oil..
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:09:51 AM by badwrench »

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 06:27:26 PM »
CZ Nitriding is excellent.  I do wish they would nitride the barrels AFTER reaming, but they must have a process/TDP that has it the other way.  Look at a SIG barrel and you'll see a nicely finished barrel with their superb DLC which just doesn't seem to wear. 

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 04:38:25 PM »
Ok, I questioned the barrel nitride coating again and CZ replied that the barrel is nitride completely inside and out on the P07 and P09.

Offline Raining_Brass

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 05:24:26 PM »
Ok, I questioned the barrel nitride coating again and CZ replied that the barrel is nitride completely inside and out on the P07 and P09.
The way nitride works, you can't exactly choose what does or doesn't get done.

There's no masking when you're dipping a part in a 1,000 degree salt bath. ;)

anything