Author Topic: Well, After all I'm old (er) and gone over to the other side....bought a EZ 380  (Read 1109 times)

Offline doc171

• FIELD MEDICAL TECHNICIAN
Don"t get me wrong I still have my CZ PCR and my PO1, but my hand strength is not getting any better. After all I will be 72 in about 6 months. I had to have a firearm that I could rack the slide easier. So, I procured a Smith and Wesson 380 EZ. OKAY>>>now be easy on the comments please.....some day you will be old also.....

Offline Czechbikr

Congratulations on the new gun!  We all have to shoot and carry what works best for us, right now that is a S & W Shield 45 ACP on my hip!  Show off a pic of your new hardware when you can!

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
I bought one a few months back.  It's "okay."  You are right about it's ease of manipulation/shooting, but it won't shoot groups with my CZ's.

Does yours have the thumb safeties?  Or just the grip safety?  If it has the thumb safeties it may need to go back to S&W.

When I bought mine I came home, opened the box up again, went to the S&W website to register it and see about another spare magazine only to find out mine was on the list for defective safeties.  I had to ship it back to S&W (FEDEX) to have it repaired/refitted/modified, whatever they did to fix the issue with the safeties.

I had to call S&W.  At that time their website said to enter the serial number and when I did it would tell me the serial number was not a valid serial number (you'd think they could get that right, at least).  So I called and the lady told me mine was on the recall list and she e-mailed me a return authorization slip with address for the return to S&W and bar code labels, etc.

Took a couple weeks, got it back and took it to the range.  It functioned 100% from the first round onwards.  Hollow points and FMJ.

Hope yours works out and you like it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline recoilguy

Nice gun I am real glad they are making them. I have a friend who is a bit older and has experienced some weakening of his hands.
He got one and is the happiest guy I know. It was the only one he could find stock he could operate consistently adequately enough for him
to be confident in himself carrying it. Awesome right?

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Nothing wrong with buying that gun if it fits your situation. I'm glad I have a nice stash of revolvers should I become unable to rack a slide though.

Offline czsuby

My wife loves her EZ 380 and shoots it accurately.  It feels a little cheap but shoots great!

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
I'm 62 and I've started to shoot, and carry, dot guns more.   Works much better with my old eyes.   I just bought a P-10C ORS.   I think having a "handle" on the top of the slide will keep me shooting 9mm a lot longer.
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline adrian

Hiya Doc171 and thx for your thread. Thx for sharing and I didn't even know that 380 existed. Sounds like you are situated for the moment. I'm pushing 60 so have more issues with those little cloudy patchs in my eyes field of vision,but aware the parts are wearing out and no replacement parts available.
    Do consider options to your current cz's that might be cheaper than a new gun,and provide better ergonomics for your weaker hands.
     Years ago czc had added a slide racker to a shadow I wanted to run a c-more on,there prolly a pic in an old 2013 post if ya care to dig, but can't see a reason why you could not have a custom shop make a similar little charging handle to the slide,and adj springs if needed.
     The factory rear blade of the discontinued tactical sports model provided such a good slide racker as well, when I'd ordered a CTS and a Czechmate I had the shop remove the competition rear sight and replace it with the factory TS rear. Thats how good it is. Its virtually a index finger rest which then you can pull or push to rack. I can see that taking material off of one of say czc tactical rears could do the trick.
     Its a possibility that some of the needs of us old folks might impact future designs avail as options. But some current designs can be made more adaptive with minor work the gun shops can easily do ,or fabricate for us. Be well.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
The EZ model is supposed to be designed, from the ground up, for .380.  Since it's not a 9MM that's running a lighter/softer cartridge the springs are set up for .380.  Supposed to be easier to rack the slide and otherwise manipulate the actions/controls.

It appears to be a striker fired pistol - like the bigger M&P's but actually has a concealed hammer in the frame covered by the slide.  Should be able to get a real nice trigger pull there if you spent the time/effort since the slide is cocking the hammer vs. the sear grabbing the striker as ths slide goes forward to chamber a round.

The striker fired M&Ps have either just a trigger safety (similar to a Glock/XDM) or a combination of the trigger safety and thumb safeties that stop rearward movement of the trigger bar.  The EZ also has a grip safety.  You can get it with, or without thumb safeties.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline eastman

I haven't had a chance to shoot one, but I've handled the EZ at demo events. I think S&W did a job at designing a pistol for a specific market that was under served.

At least you didn't buy a block.   :D
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline GRU7_Mike

I do not know why S&W never came out with the EZ in 9mm.  (nothing to do with caliber wars here) ;D....I'm cheap and like the price of 9mm better!!!
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt

anything