Author Topic: Beretta 92a1hammer spring question?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline charlielikesczs

Beretta 92a1hammer spring question?
« on: April 05, 2019, 10:53:14 PM »
I bought this gun and the trigger was horrible. (maybe 12#da and 7#sa). I replaced the hammer spring with an 18#1911 hammer spring that i had lying around. It made an amazing difference in both DA and SA trigger pull weight.(8#DA and 4.5#SA) I've shot it a few times since and it is now allowed to be in the same safe as my CZ's. Seems to ignite a variety of primers reliably. Question is: Does anyone know if changing this spring will have any adverse effects down the road? I know CGW recommends a lighter weight firing pin spring with lighter hammer springs. Do you think i should see if beretta has a similiar lightweight firing pin spring?
Thanks for any and all help

Ron M.

Re: Beretta 92a1hammer spring question?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 11:15:57 PM »
I have 8 92 series pistols all run Beretta "D" springs (16 pound) or Langdon tactical (Wilson Combat) 14 pound springs never a bit of trouble over thousands of rounds. I usually suggest a Beretta made "D" spring first then try the 14, 13 , or even 12 pound springs. The "D" spring is the one that comes in a D model (DAO) 92 series pistol. I've had good success with Wolf springs too, just prefer the ones sold by Langdon Tactical or Beretta. The 1911 spring will work fine but it's slightly too short and make cause problems as it compresses with long term use.   

There are 2 other things that can smooth and lighten the trigger even more. First drop in a Beretta Elite II hammer. Second put in a Beretta or Wilson Combat steel trigger and trigger spring.

If you want to go all out drop in a Langdon Tactical "trigger job in a bag". Use the 12 pound spring and Elite II hammer option. I did this in my 92FS Centurion, made the trigger truly excellent 6 pounds 10 ounce DA and 3 pounds 2 ounce SA pull. 100% reliable with all US made primers and ammo. Doesn't like crappy Russian made steel cased ammo.

https://www.langdontactical.com/trigger-job-in-a-bag-beretta-92-series/

Offline charlielikesczs

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:18:42 AM »
Thanks for the info Ron. I almost made the mistake of trading this gun in. Glad i did not, Everytime i attempted pull the trigger i would flinch like a 6 year old girl shooting for the first time. Groups looked like 12 gauge birdshot.  I have grown soft and spoiled with 3-4# single action pulls.The difference that a lighter a hammer spring makes is night and day. Now its stacking lead on top of lead at 12 yards. I will look into the D spring for now and perhaps down the road upgrade to the Langdon Tactical kit.

Offline Metal Wonder Nine Guy

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 09:36:25 AM »
So far, the only other hammer spring I have tried in my 92 is the factory D spring, which is rated at 16 lbs as compared to the standard 20 lb spring that comes with the 92. And really that's all I need. I asked about this on the Beretta forum, and no one apparently had any issues with reliability with D springs. Go with way lighter springs, and the 92 becomes a little ammo and primer picky.

Here's that thread.
https://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138944

From what I have gathered on the Beretta forum, the D spring knocks off 3 or 4 pounds off the DA pull and about half a pound off the SA pull. (These results are not mine).
https://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=69206

As a side note, as you shoot your 92 more often, the gun's action really smooths out. I have 3,548 rounds in my 92. On a whim, I threw the standard 20 lb spring back in my 92, and even the DA pull, while still heavy, was a lot smoother. I remember getting my 92 out of the box and shooting it the first time and the DA trigger pull was very heavy and stiff.

And a little FAQ on the D spring.
https://berettaforum.net/vb/showpost.php?p=966399&postcount=17

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »
I have a 92FS and a 92A1 and I installed a Beretta D spring and a Beretta Elite hammer. I polished the bottom of the spring and the top of the hammer strut and the triggers are now amazing! The Elite hammer makes a huge difference as well.

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 09:57:08 PM »
I have a standard "fluff-'n-buff" procedure that I do on 92s. It involves smoothing and polishing everything that touches anything else, including the front and back of the transfer bar. With the D spring, Wolff trigger spring and Wilson short reach trigger, I typically see single action pulls of right about 3lbs. I tried one of those trigger conversion springs once and absolutely hated it.
No matter where you're going, there you are.

Offline lefty556

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 04:17:12 PM »
The "D" spring makes a huge difference. 

So does LTT's Trigger Job in a Bag.  That's totally worth the money.

anything