Author Topic: Optic mounting  (Read 299 times)

Offline Macgruber81

Optic mounting
« on: April 07, 2019, 08:10:00 PM »
So I’m finally ready to mount my little cheap Bushnell TRS-25 to my Scorpion though I was wondering how you guys went about figuring out how many inch pounds to mount it to the top rail?   Also, do you guys set it up on the low mount as it comes or so you raise it up like many do on an AR platform?

Offline 1000RR

Re: Optic mounting
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 08:52:30 PM »
I have never torqued an optic to any certain "in-pounds"... just got it nice and snug/tight.  Always been fine for me that way.

As far as height... that's more of a personal preference both on comfort and what all you have going on w/optics.  If your cheek rests nicely on the stock with it as is, you might leave it.  If you want to co-witness you may raise it for a 1/3 co-witness or leave it for a regular co-witness. 

My EOTech is their EXPS3 so it's on their higher quick disconnect, partly to have the brightness buttons on the side (I'm running a magnifier behind it) and partly so I could do a lower 1/3 cowitness.

Offline adrian

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 10:21:58 PM »
     Hiya Macgruber81 and thanks for your thread. Excellent suggestions from the operator on co witness,if you desire to at all. And concur that particular pounds of torque are not needed,but if you have the measurement tools,you can always inform us what the avg. "on tight" lbs comes out to.
     And your optic is a value purchase and EOTech is not in everyones budget,and yours might well fit your needs. Hope it has a protective cap that flips down vs off,they do get lost easily. Pack a few lens wipes in your gear. And not sure what MOA it ships with or options for,but I preferred 3MOA for up to 25yds,and you can always give the illusion of a larger MOA with just increasing the brightness level. Of the value option red dot's I really had an issue of losing the zero with most every outing,and attributed it to the bumps traveling in the case. Hope ta see your day at the range soon. Be well.

Offline Border Dave

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 12:18:10 AM »
I use the Arms Unlimited Quick Release for my TRS-25.  It works pretty well. 
https://www.armsunlimited.com/QD-Lever-Mount-Conversion-Kit-Bushnell-TRS25-p/lmc-btrs.htm

I mounted it low on the rail because I use the factory stock.  Now, I'm using a Holosun 510C, but it's a little too high for me.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:26:26 AM by Border Dave »

Offline cjive134

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 08:10:03 AM »
Most rings and mounts I have used are aluminum and are 15 in-lb for the rings and 30-35 in-lbs on the bases.

Offline Macgruber81

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 10:56:31 AM »
Thanks guys.  I tried just tightening down about a half turn past snug and if it backs off I’ll do a little more.   That quick release ARMS mount looks enticing.   

anything