Author Topic: Optic mounting  (Read 950 times)

Offline Macgruber81

Optic mounting
« on: April 07, 2019, 08:10:00 PM »
So I’m finally ready to mount my little cheap Bushnell TRS-25 to my Scorpion though I was wondering how you guys went about figuring out how many inch pounds to mount it to the top rail?   Also, do you guys set it up on the low mount as it comes or so you raise it up like many do on an AR platform?

Offline 1000RR

Re: Optic mounting
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 08:52:30 PM »
I have never torqued an optic to any certain "in-pounds"... just got it nice and snug/tight.  Always been fine for me that way.

As far as height... that's more of a personal preference both on comfort and what all you have going on w/optics.  If your cheek rests nicely on the stock with it as is, you might leave it.  If you want to co-witness you may raise it for a 1/3 co-witness or leave it for a regular co-witness. 

My EOTech is their EXPS3 so it's on their higher quick disconnect, partly to have the brightness buttons on the side (I'm running a magnifier behind it) and partly so I could do a lower 1/3 cowitness.

Offline adrian

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 10:21:58 PM »
     Hiya Macgruber81 and thanks for your thread. Excellent suggestions from the operator on co witness,if you desire to at all. And concur that particular pounds of torque are not needed,but if you have the measurement tools,you can always inform us what the avg. "on tight" lbs comes out to.
     And your optic is a value purchase and EOTech is not in everyones budget,and yours might well fit your needs. Hope it has a protective cap that flips down vs off,they do get lost easily. Pack a few lens wipes in your gear. And not sure what MOA it ships with or options for,but I preferred 3MOA for up to 25yds,and you can always give the illusion of a larger MOA with just increasing the brightness level. Of the value option red dot's I really had an issue of losing the zero with most every outing,and attributed it to the bumps traveling in the case. Hope ta see your day at the range soon. Be well.

Offline Border Dave

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 12:18:10 AM »
I use the Arms Unlimited Quick Release for my TRS-25.  It works pretty well. 
https://www.armsunlimited.com/QD-Lever-Mount-Conversion-Kit-Bushnell-TRS25-p/lmc-btrs.htm

I mounted it low on the rail because I use the factory stock.  Now, I'm using a Holosun 510C, but it's a little too high for me.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:26:26 AM by Border Dave »

Offline cjive134

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 08:10:03 AM »
Most rings and mounts I have used are aluminum and are 15 in-lb for the rings and 30-35 in-lbs on the bases.

Offline Macgruber81

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 10:56:31 AM »
Thanks guys.  I tried just tightening down about a half turn past snug and if it backs off I’ll do a little more.   That quick release ARMS mount looks enticing.   

Offline Tad_07

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 04:31:24 PM »
On most mounts I see 14-20inlbs with 16inlbs being the most common. I haven't read the manual close enough to see if there's a recommend spec or not. I would assume a little extra tq would only cause the mount to bite into the plastic.

Offline TenSix

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 08:53:34 AM »
Forgot where I read this but someone recommended a max of 20 in/lbs of torque when attaching anything to polymer. So I torqued my optic to 16 in/lbs onto my Scorpion Micro (with blue Loctite).

Offline Thunderstick

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 02:05:27 PM »
I low mounted my Sig Romeo5 and it co-witnesses with the iron sites perfectly.   It works well for me

Offline dickwholliday

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »
Can’t really comment on torque because in my 70 years I’ve never torqued mount screws..... I run a patrol model aimpoint on mine...... since most of my shooting is IPSC, steel challenge and Bianchi Cup.... the fact that the optic is so high over the bore creates an issue when Shoot’n up close...... yesterday I took the aimpoint mount off that came with it and went with an older aimpoint mount which puts it right on the rail..... now the factory irons actually co-witness the dot..... I’ll shoot it some Sunday and let y’all know how it works ..... D I C K

Offline TolusD

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 11:20:11 AM »
Forgot where I read this but someone recommended a max of 20 in/lbs of torque when attaching anything to polymer. So I torqued my optic to 16 in/lbs onto my Scorpion Micro (with blue Loctite).

I read that same number in the MLOK instructions that came with my forward rail kit. I picked up a Wheeler Engineering gunsmith's torque wrench from Amazon and cranked everything polymer down to ~18 in/lbs with blue loctite then went up to 25 in/lbs on the scope to rail interface and back down to 15 in/lbs for the ring to scope interface based on the Vortex and Warne guidelines. 

Offline kyron4

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 03:19:36 AM »
Not to get off topic, but are those Bushnell TRS-25 any good ? Seems I read a lot of mixed reviews saying the "newer" ones with white letters on it, are spotty. That the dot only appears in the bottom 2/3's of the lens and so on.

Offline AzEvo1

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »
They're an ok budget red dot. Spend a little more money and get a Sig Romeo 5,Holosun or a Vortex SPARC. Personally I like the Sig and love the MOTAC feature it has just like the Holosun but less than the Holosun. Of course my first choice would be a Aimpoint or EOTech but I've spent way to much money lately and the Sig is a good middle of the road RDS. I have a few on some of my AR-9 pistols and they're great for the money.

PSA has the Sig on sale with free shipping for $120.00

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-sauer-romeo5-1x20mm-red-dot-sight-black-r52001.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:08:36 PM by AzEvo1 »

Offline TolusD

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 02:04:57 PM »
They're an ok budget red dot. Spend a little more money and get a Sig Romeo 5,Holosun or a Vortex SPARC. Personally I like the Sig and love the MOTAC feature it has just like the Holosun but less than the Holosun. Of course my first choice would be a Aimpoint or EOTech but I've spent way to much money lately and the Sig is a good middle of the road RDS. I have a few on some of my AR-9 pistols and they're great for the money.

PSA has the Sig on sale with free shipping for $1200.00

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-sauer-romeo5-1x20mm-red-dot-sight-black-r52001.html

I think you meant $120.00 right? Only Trijicon would have the balls the charge $1200.00 for a basic red dot.

Offline AzEvo1

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 07:10:00 PM »

PSA has the Sig on sale with free shipping for $1200.00

I think you meant $120.00 right? Only Trijicon would have the balls the charge $1200.00 for a basic red dot.

Doh! Yea $120.00  ;)

anything