Author Topic: M9/M92 Recoil  (Read 514 times)

Offline briang2ad

M9/M92 Recoil
« on: April 08, 2019, 08:20:36 AM »
The gun game circuits are full of CZs and Glocks.  CZs are known for their soft shooting and low recoil. 

How does the CZ 75 (and I'll throw in the P09) compare in recoil and muzzle flip?  It would be nice to have folks who shoot the 75, P09, and Beretta to make comment.  Thanks.

Offline John A.

Re: M9/M92 Recoil
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 09:11:13 AM »
My 75 (clone--Canik S120) is more accurate than my Beretta Centurion.

I don't really believe that one kicks harder than another, but admittedly, I don't shoot fast and do double or triple taps.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Metal Wonder Nine Guy

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 09:51:57 AM »
The 92 has a different recoil impulse because of the locking block system. There is more of a push from the 92 series pistols than an upwards snap as compared to Browning tilt barrel pistols.

Now that I have a 75B, I'm curious to see how these two pistols stack up in terms of recoil impulse. I haven't shot my 92 and 75 side by side at the range yet, so you may have given me an excuse to do so.  ;D

Offline himurax13

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »
You need to shoot like this in order to really guage the difference in recoil management between different platforms. ;)

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 06:46:35 PM »
The Beretta 92 series are big pistols and as stated have the locking block system which works differently than the tilting barrel design. While I find my CZ's to be great shooters I feel at least for me the Beretta has much less muzzle flip and I can get back on target faster.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 07:58:02 PM »
The Beretta 92 series are big pistols and as stated have the locking block system which works differently than the tilting barrel design. While I find my CZ's to be great shooters I feel at least for me the Beretta has much less muzzle flip and I can get back on target faster.

I don't doubt your experience - and while I've shot and qualified on the M9 years ago, I'd love to try it now beside say, my P09, which is about the easiest gun to shoot I know. 

You would think the shooting community outside of Ernie Langdon would be shooting more Berettas.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:55:22 PM by briang2ad »

Offline canthelpit

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 08:38:35 PM »
I just came back from the basement after comparing my 75B SA to my son's 92FS.  My gun weighs about 5 oz. more than the Beretta, though his has a steel parts
kit in it so the stock gun would weigh slightly less.  What was noticeable was the difference in balance.  The Beretta carries more of it's weight at the
muzzle end than the CZ, which I also confirmed by weighing the muzzle ends  with the grips on a wood block.  Guess that makes sense with the alloy frame on the 92.

I've shot both guns side-by-side many times with the same ammo and while the Beretta's muzzle flip may not be worse than the CZ, the difference in balance
and weight adds up to, in my opinion, a snappier gun generally: it just moves around more.  Course I'm biased, since I like my CZ more, but my son agrees with
me.  I also find that the CZ is more stable when holding on a target.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:47:32 PM by canthelpit »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 06:46:48 AM »
I don't feel/notice much recoil from a 9MM P09.  Does it "bounce" more than the CZ75 Compacts/P01's?  I don't know, I just know that sometimes I realize my mind is telling me it really did just fire a round because there's another bullet hole in the target.

Not so for the P01 or CZ75 Compact.  They jump pretty good with the same ammo.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 07:56:26 AM »
The M9 weighs 33.6 oz with an empty mag, while the CZ 75 weighs a tad over 35 oz. 75 Compact weighs 32.  I do believe that the Compact recoils a bit much for 32 oz. 

I do think the P09 is VERY tame for recoil, and at least one avid competitor on You Tube experiences better split times than his Shadow with it. 

I guess I'd like to know who has the 'tale of the tape' (or clock in this case) for knowing which gun is easier/faster - this I may never know. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:42:02 PM by briang2ad »

Offline Ruber

M9/M92 Recoil
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 10:58:17 AM »
A while back I tried testing the two side by side, an 85C, a cajunized sp01, a factory 92fs, and a WC 92fs compact.  I don?t transition well between the two styles, so was looking to invest more in the platform that gave me better results.

For me, I got better slow and medium fire scores with the berettas and better rapid fire scores with the CZ?s.  Basically, my Beretta groups opened up more as I sped up than my CZ groups.

With me, that point where the Beretta groups opened up depended on my strength and conditioning workouts.  The more I was working on fitness, the quicker I could shoot the Beretta accurately.

So in short, if I really need to get my splits down, then the CZ is what I go with.  If I have a fixed number of shots, and fixed time limit, and need the precision, I?ll go with the Beretta.

I have not thrown a P09 into the mix.  I do like the feel of it, but just don?t shoot it as well as the others yet.  Old habits die hard.

anything