Author Topic: Should I do it? 91197 PVD REFINSH  (Read 1614 times)

Offline QuickDraw11

Should I do it? 91197 PVD REFINSH
« on: April 11, 2019, 04:25:05 AM »
Just curious what everyone's opinion is on taking a 91197 Stainless P-01 and throwing some DLC on top of it? I think the finish would be pretty insane because of the polishing that's already been done.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Should I do it? 91197 PVD REFINSH
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 07:35:36 AM »
I suppose the more important question how you feel about it? Sounds like a good idea and if it's something you really want and feel you'd be happy with I'd say go for it.

Offline adrian

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 12:17:03 PM »
     Hiya Quickdraw11 and I concur that what you want,and are willing to invest in the project is more revenant to the conversation you want to have. Hows bout showing us your p-01 and offering pics or links to the custom shops that have examples of what the finished product is supposed to look like. Have you already customized the gun via czc or cgw's and are trying to add finishing touches.? Is it a regularly used tool that is getting holster wear,getting out to the rocks,mud and has EDC work assigned, or its work days behind grooming it for safe queen duty,and bar b ques ?  I'm not quite sure that throwing some DLC on top of it is quite the process involved. Maybe its just me,but would I spend 4000 to paint my 5000 used hyundai? Be well.

Offline QuickDraw11

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 01:53:57 AM »
So I just purchased the 91197 and it's still brand new in box. I don't have any pictures yet unfortunately because it hasn't arrived at my ffl. It should be here either Saturday or Monday. I'm sending it off to Cajun Gun Works the second it gets here for a pro package and some other work. I was originally going to send them my 99041 this week but I couldn't pass up the chance to get 91197 when one came my way so I went ahead and purchased it. I'm considering doing the dlc over the hi polish because I am concerned about rust if I decide to carry this one and also I think it'd look cool because the pvd dlc should be fairly transparent and you'd get a kind of black ice look. The main concern I have is ruining the resale value of a very rare gun. Also, I don't want the community to feel like I'm destroying a piece of art haha.

Offline double-d

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 07:33:33 AM »
I'm considering doing the dlc over the hi polish because I am concerned about rust if I decide to carry this one

Is rust a issue with stainless CZ's?

Offline Raining_Brass

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 08:52:43 AM »
I'm considering doing the dlc over the hi polish because I am concerned about rust if I decide to carry this one

Stainless isn't rustless. lol

If you don't keep a nice coat of oil on it or carry it a lot and not wipe it down often enough stainless will definitely rust.

Offline eastman

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 08:53:49 PM »
it is "Stain Less", not "Stain Never"
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline double-d

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 08:05:10 AM »

Stainless isn't rustless. lol

If you don't keep a nice coat of oil on it or carry it a lot and not wipe it down often enough stainless will definitely rust.

I get that, I deal with stainless steel products in my line of work.

I also know there are various types of stainless, some more prone to rust and others pretty much never rust (surgical grade 316L wristwatch cases for instance).
Sooo I take it from above that CZ uses stainless with a lesser amount of say chromium thus making them more rust prone.

Interesting.  I'll try to find some examples of rusted stainless CZ-75's on the www.

Offline eastman

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 08:04:27 PM »
stainless steels with the highest corrosion resistance are the alloys which don't harden, so they are unsuitable for applications like knives, gun barrels, slides.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Raining_Brass

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 10:07:19 AM »
We stainless steel slides from various manufacturers every single day with rust. Not a myth or something. They can and do rust if not taken care of properly.

Offline Mercs

Should I do it? 91197 PVD REFINSH
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 06:51:49 PM »
To answer your question... Do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk