Author Topic: Stiff safety  (Read 138 times)

Online hammer_fired

Stiff safety
« on: April 13, 2019, 12:38:08 PM »
The safety on my new 97b is very stiff and mushy. I can disengage it, but to reengage it, I need to use my left hand (I'm rh)

I disassembled it with some effort. The safety lever was very difficult to get out. I basically had to push it with a punch to get it started. Tough to do while trying to hold the detent back. With the sear cage pulled out, the lever operates smoothly. Same thing when it is inserted into just the sear cage. Getting the safety lever back in takes some effort too.

I'm thinking that I may lightly sand the right end of the shaft to see if that frees things up a bit, though maybe a call to CZ is in order first. Thoughts?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Stiff safety
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 01:42:44 PM »
One of my P09's had a very stiff safety.  I sat in the chair and changed from one hand to the other working the safety till my thumb was tired, then pinched the safety between my thumb and trigger finger and kept working it till it got noticeably looser.

Doing the new CZ75B the same way.  That safety is tough to move from fire to safe.  It'll wear in, sooner or later, if I keep at it.

If you elect to sand/stone something, make sure you're polishing in the spot where it's tight.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Online hammer_fired

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 02:42:59 PM »
Thanks, M1. I'll go your route first.

On an aside, you are right about about working on a safety equiped CZ, i.e., it is pretty straight forward. I haven't taken apart the sear cage, but can't imagine it being that difficult to work with. I'd say that it is on par with taking down the BDM, only the bits and pieces are different, and in different places.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 03:18:21 PM »
I could be wrong, but I'd rather tear into a CZ75, or P07/P09 any day than a BDM.  Then again I've only been into the BDM once, to replace that broken firing pin and that's just the slide, not the frame.

I can't see the sear, the sear spring, firing pin block lifting arm or the spring for that being the issue.  Now, a safety shaft diameter issue?  Or a slight misalignment between the safety shaft and the two holes in either side of the sear cage - or the hole on the right side of the frame?  Or even some issue with angles/sharpness of the detent in the left side of the frame and the safety shaft even.

I know I made the thumb safety on one of my M&P's "more positive" by removing the safety lever (one piece that protrudes out the frame on each side) and using a 3 corner file to make the notch in the safety lever "sharper."  That gave it a combination of a more positive feel when moving as well as taking a little more force to make it move.

I've not had to go further than just working the safety on/off so I can't say I've really looked closely at the detent and safety shaft engagement surfaces or angles to see what might be changed there to help.  In fact, a few people here have expressed the desire to make their pistol's safety more positive and the usual recommendation is to buy/install a stronger spring (the one in the frame that pushes the detent against the safety shaft.)  But, before I'd modify that spring I'd look at the fit/finish of the detent and safety shaft and see if I could take care of it there first - if I had to go beyond wearing it in by hand.

Good luck with it.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Online hammer_fired

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 04:14:04 PM »
I've been thinking about this a bit more. Since it binds when assembled, maybe there is a bump at the back of the sear cage or on the frame that is preventing the sear cage from moving in proper alignment with the shaft holes. Won't have time to check that out until tomorrow.

On the BDM: I can detail strip the frame in about 5 mins. I think I can get it back together in about 10 mins. now that I've done it a couple of times.

Offline adrian

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 05:14:06 PM »
     Hiya hammer_fired and thanks for your thread. Well sucks to have a new gun and having that slip thru the cracks. I had it happen on the right side of a 83,and understand a little sanding in the proper spot was the fix. With your warranty in full effect hope you at least bounce the issue off the ears of a cz smith at cz-usa come monday. Other than that hope you are enjoying the tack driving accuracy out of the box. Be well.

Online hammer_fired

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 11:31:22 AM »
Took it down again, and checked it over. Didn't see anything that looked out of order.

I've been working the safety a bit ala M1. It has loosened up a bit, enough so that I can now move it up with my thumb. Will continue with this option before making a call.