Author Topic: AR15-A1 vs. Modern Qualification Course  (Read 433 times)

Offline Hrfunk

AR15-A1 vs. Modern Qualification Course
« on: April 14, 2019, 06:43:49 AM »
Hi all! Here's a fun video. In this one, I'm pitting my trusty a! rifle against a modern qualification course. Click on the link to see how it fares!

Howard

Offline John A.

Re: AR15-A1 vs. Modern Qualification Course
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 09:54:20 AM »
A lot of the newer guys turn their noses up at the old A1's.

And even A2's for that matter.

But I have a rather fond affection of them myself.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 06:28:19 PM »
Me too! It's an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

Howard

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 07:43:06 PM »
I carried, fired/cleaned and qualified with M16A1's in basic and AIT in 1975.

They shot good enough to qualify expert with.

I remember the one from basic because it was different.  Sort of funky green color, 3 prong flash suppressor and the lower was stamped GM Hydramatic Division.

We did not receiver bayonet training.  We were told they were getting too many damaged rifles (broken butt stocks and bent barrels).  We were "told" the proper way to go from standing/running to prone and then told if any drill sergeant saw the butt of the rifle hit the ground we'd be in deep (you know what).  Again, too many broken butt stocks.

I never shot an M16A2.  I went to Ft. Myer, VA and was issued and M14 and fell in love with it.  Only fired an M16A1 once more in those 4 years.  A windy day when we shot M16's in the morning and our M14's in the afternoon.  We spent the morning trying to figure out how far to the right to hold to knock down the pop ups at 300 and 350 meters and the afternoon putting our front sight on the pop ups and knocking them down with the M14's.  That's when I knew I had to have an M14.  Got lucky and found a shop selling M1A's so I never risked "getting" and M14.  I sure did miss TRW 1490317 though, when I had to turn in my weapons card and ETS late in the summer of 1979.

I still have that M1A.  It's the only one I ever bought/needed.  But doggone those AR15's grow on you once you find out how much fun they are to build and how cheap they are to shoot.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline eastman

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 10:12:36 PM »
...I still have that M1A.  It's the only one I ever bought/needed.  But doggone those AR15's grow on you once you find out how much fun they are to build and how cheap they are to shoot.

My favorite AR is an AR-10, but the 15s are a lot cheaper to feed.
I don't look like my avatar!

anything