Author Topic: Barrel Length Chrony Comparison?  (Read 296 times)

Offline VelvetHammer

Barrel Length Chrony Comparison?
« on: April 14, 2019, 11:02:41 AM »
I've been searching posts and found a couple of posts with some chrony comparisons... but not all are apples to apples.

Has anyone got or seen a good chart of velocities from factory ammo compared between the three factory barrel lengths of 4.12 pistol, 16 carbine, and 7.75 pistol?

Offline wanderson

Re: Barrel Length Chrony Comparison?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 01:14:09 PM »
Check out the BallisticsByTheInch site...

Offline VelvetHammer

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 11:34:26 AM »
thanks for that... Their "real world" listing shows why i'm trying to find actual comparisons in the real guns here.  I'm going see if i can't find enough posts where i can cross reference from carbines to pistols to micros.   first glance, though, not enough commonality of ammo.

Offline Inspector 12

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 08:07:59 AM »
Do a search for  Ballistics by the Inch. They have tables for several popular calibers and bullet weights where the show the impact on performance related to barrel length.

Offline VelvetHammer

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 08:55:35 AM »
that's what the second post advised me to do. I was commenting on the fact that i had been there and looked at it, and that the reason i'm asking for these specific weapons is, like their "Real World" tests show, the chart numbers are only a guide, not necessarily the numbers real weapons have.

Offline Ruber

Barrel Length Chrony Comparison?
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »
There is a lot of gun to gun and load to load variability as you have seen.  My CZ pistol is going to be different than your CZ pistol. All my CZ handguns have very loose chambers, lots of folks here have very tight chambers. that makes a difference. Even things like hammer & recoil springs can make a difference. 

Chrono’s are cheap and fun and can take the guess work out of it.

If you really want specifics beyond extrapolating from published results, that is the way to get at them.  Something like a Pact 1 in the $100-130 range will give you good results and long service life.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:31:07 AM by Ruber »

Offline VelvetHammer

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 12:50:47 PM »
well i have the chrony and the bullets... so if someone just gives me a micro, a pistol and a carbine... i can run the numbers :)