Author Topic: Need second fixed rear sight for CZ 527 carbine.  (Read 1909 times)

Offline OldManMontgomery

• Job Description: 'Etc'
    • The Alternate Reality
Need second fixed rear sight for CZ 527 carbine.
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:12:51 AM »
I have a "CZ 527 M carbine" (so stamped on port side of receiver) in caliber 7.62x39mm.  I really do like it.  [Insert gooey testimonial here.]  Serial number is in the C15XXXX range.  (I have no idea of that is particularly meaningful.  I am given to understand these are no longer produced.) 

I wish to change the profile of the rear sight to a British Express style wide V shape.  Prior to doing this, I want to replace the original rear sight with an 'extra' and modify the 'extra'.  (Being a collector of arms these days, I do not wish to modify anything from original if I can possibly help it.)

The rear sight is dovetailed into a 'boss' on the barrel which seems to be machined from the barrel rather than an attached band.  It seems to be a standard 3/8ths milled dovetail. 

I sent an email to CZ.  They seem to have filed it in the permanent ignore file.

History is important.  Firearms ARE history.

Offline painter

Re: Need second fixed rear sight for CZ 527 carbine.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 03:41:25 PM »
CZ sells sights in 4 heights. If you want the same height, tap yours out. There will be a number on the bottom...1-4. You can order a duplicate from the webstore.

They're listed here on the second page. Or, since you're modifying the sight anyway, you could just order the tallest one and modify until you get the zero at the distance you want.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Continental Op

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
OldManMontgomery,
I'm interested to see how this turns out.  Please post a pic when you're done along with an explanation of how it performs.
Thanks

Offline OldManMontgomery

• The Alternate Reality
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 10:32:37 AM »
CZ sells sights in 4 heights. If you want the same height, tap yours out. There will be a number on the bottom...1-4. You can order a duplicate from the webstore.

They're listed here on the second page. Or, since you're modifying the sight anyway, you could just order the tallest one and modify until you get the zero at the distance you want.
Bless you, sir. 
Now I have to ponder the question how the heck did I miss this?  I'm sure I looked.  But thank you at any rate!

Offline OldManMontgomery

• The Alternate Reality
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 10:41:51 AM »
OldManMontgomery, I'm interested to see how this turns out.  Please post a pic when you're done along with an explanation of how it performs.
Thanks
I will.  I present an entry on many of my 'off center' firearms on my blog; " https://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com ".  I post on firearms I own (mostly historical), Reloading, Christianity (theology, not so much preaching), some politics and some personal stuff.  The essay on this rifle, development and such will be posted when I get all the dots connected.  Probably by the end of the summer.  Maybe sooner.

Archie

Offline mauserand9mm

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 05:56:18 AM »

Thanks for the link - I didn't know they did this. I notice that they also have 3 different height rear sights for the 550 magnum. Beside the point now, because I have a rear peep sight (ghost ring) fitted, but my 458 always shot high - it must have a high rear sight. I also have a 375 that shot okay with the standard rear sight (now also has a peep sight). I'll have to go through my parts box and measure those two removed rear sights. Not that it matters now but I'm curious to see what they are. If they did install a tall rear on the 458 then that would be disappointing because they factory tested it and should have realised it was shooting high (unless they used 500gn loads through it - I don't think they shot as high, I'll check my data).

I don't think we have these parts stocked here in Australia - no one has ever mentioned this. Many shooters I know use the NECG rear peep and Recknagel front sight blades.

Offline painter

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 05:41:31 PM »
The situation in the US is different because CZ-USA is owned by the factory, where in the rest of the world the use independent importers. We get access to many parts online that the other importers choose not to offer.

Unfortunately, CZ-USA won't ship overseas.

As far as your 458 shooting high...the factory test is a function test only. They don't shoot for accuracy.

but not the ability.

Offline mauserand9mm

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 05:59:35 PM »
Well I know the rifles come our way via CZ-USA because we get the 458Lotts and Safari Custom Mags? (in 404J and 500Jeff amongst others) - these are converted/assembled in the US, not at the European centre. The rifles we get here have the CZ-USA stamp on them. I think the parts availability is due to the importer, Winchester Australia, limiting to the more popular items. I had to get a replacement action screw for a CZ550 mag from them and it took about 8 months.

They still should have realised the sight error on the 458 because the test target was shot at 50m. Shooting high is a function error.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:03:48 PM by mauserand9mm »

Offline david s

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 06:14:51 PM »
painter, a bit off subject but do you have any idea why CZ doesn't import the Kozap line of scope mounts for there rifles? I've been told that the two are affiliated. I dont know if that's true or not though. It looks to be an interesting product line and would be one more option if CZ were to offer them thru CZ-USA.

Offline painter

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 05:37:45 AM »
No idea other than CZ-USA carries what the mother ship decides they will carry.

but not the ability.

Offline david s

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 07:27:16 PM »
If they are actually affiliated then mores the shame. Looks to be a quality product. Would like to actually know if it is.

Offline painter

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 09:12:47 PM »
I just went to the CZ-UB site, and couldn't find any Kozap mounts listed in the web store. You'd think if they were affiliated that they'd sell them in Europe.

but not the ability.

anything