Author Topic: Magpul Grip  (Read 4427 times)

Offline RockSemiAuto

Re: Magpul Grip
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 09:25:43 AM »
I actually went ahead and sent an email to Magpul expressing my dissatisfaction with the grip. I told them it was not the quality, fit, and function of what a Magpul product should be. I will post the response once I have one.

Offline adrian

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 11:04:22 AM »
     Hiya and thx for your thread RockSemiAuto. I hope you uploaded your pics to the email you sent, and surprised that that fell thru the cracks. I do hope it was a limited batch before quality control found the issue,and hope they make it right for customers. I've bought and used their products and not had a similar issue. Be well.

Offline frbank6

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 11:33:21 AM »
I'm going to switch back to the factory grip and send mine back.  I could understand if they pioneered the grip for this, but there's others out there that don't have this issue.  A shame.

Offline earlan357

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 03:31:36 PM »
This is the first Magpul product I haven't been 100% happy with.  Mine also wouldn't slide on without splitting.  Examining it and measuring the rails, I found raised nubs moulded into the rails.  I guess these were added to provide a tighter fit.  I spent an hour sanding them off with a sandpaper backed stick before the grip would go on and it still needed a few whacks to get seated.  Also, on one of the grips, the torx bit hole is off center from the bolt.  Don't know how that made it past QA? It's more ergonomic than my YetiWurks grip but way more of a hassle.

Offline JLla84

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 09:10:46 AM »
Those bleep screws drive me crazy... a no go for me.... had an apex, now have a switchback
Visit my IG for USPSA and other shooting videos!
https://www.instagram.com/jlla84/

CZ Shadow 2
CZ Scorpion Carbine
Sig P365
M&P Shield 9mm

Offline badwrench

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 10:36:43 AM »
I was thinking of buying one myself, but, after reading this thread, and the fact Magpul dosen't make any in FDE, I went with a grip from Apex Tactical.. Was orginally going to buy a Yetiworks grip, until I found out you can't get the lower off without taking it off first, so, that's a no- go..

Offline OpusXJ

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 10:43:11 AM »
I was thinking of buying one myself, but, after reading this thread, and the fact Magpul dosen't make any in FDE, I went with a grip from Apex Tactical.. Was orginally going to buy a Yetiworks grip, until I found out you can't get the lower off without taking it off first, so, that's a no- go..
The lower can be removed with the Yeti Wurks grip, this has been resolved for over a year.

Offline badwrench

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2019, 04:23:48 PM »
The lower can be removed with the Yeti Wurks grip, this has been resolved for over a year.

Well, ok then..

Offline Jymbeux

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2019, 09:03:23 PM »
I received mine today from Brownells. It replaced an Apex grip, and installation was easy - no mallet needed. I also do not have a gap at the back of the game, so there may be some variance in production. Overall favorable impression although the angle is slightly less vertical than the apex. I'd like to see a k2/more vertical variant at some point. The apex will be going on my dad's to replace the oem, so it's a win-win.

Offline stevep1794

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2019, 08:30:10 AM »
I wasn't a big fan of these magpul grips and after the interweb buzz on IG about it after shotshow. I was waiting and now reading all of this... I'd go back to stock before I'd buy this.. maybe wait for gen 2 but I doubt its gonna change my mind.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:47:36 AM by stevep1794 »

Offline Inspector 12

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2019, 10:17:42 AM »
As with many gun accessories, it seems most of the Magpul "problems" are related to folks that do not understand the need to fit plastic parts. In reading the reviews, it seems to boil down to recognizing if you slide the grip all the way forward, the trigger pack will be tight going in and out. Slide the grip back a miniscule amount and the trigger pack goes in and out easier than with the stock grip. Two piece vs one piece boils down to personal preference (mine would be a Hogue over Magpul but Hogue isn't playing the game).

At the end of the day, you pay your money and make your choices. I am looking forward to my Magpul grip and mags coming off of back order. I really like my mag release.

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2019, 10:59:45 AM »
That is certainly one way to approach it to appease frustrations - "folks do not understand the need to fit plastic parts".  If by that, you mean having to dremel, trim, or physically modify - I would tend to disagree.  CZ's manufacturing tolerances are not so poor that their own parts dimensionally change drastically from gun to gun.  Therefore aftermarket parts manufacturers should take the time to properly build parts and not shove them out the door without proper QA/QC which tends to happen more and more often these days just to make a buck.  In the end, no one wins.

Now, that said... if it was meant that - you need to be aware of the grip being able to be adjusted forward or backward to allow the lower to drop - then yes.  It even says in the CZ owner's manual the grip intentionally adjusts for user preference.

I put a Yeti on mine coupled with a Hogue Universal Rubber grip slipped over - love it.  I had to drill/modify my Yeti Switchback to fit properly.  I shouldn't have had to do that - period.  In fact, the modification I had to make wasn't even to make it fit the gun, it was to make their own backstrap fit properly (they're interchangeable).  They sent those out the door before proper QA/QC.

Now all that said... I actually like modifying parts I buy to make them fit (if need be) just how I like.  I take pride in the results and enjoy the effort put into it.  But I'm weird like that.

Offline GearFondler

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2019, 06:25:06 PM »
Now all that said... I actually like modifying parts I buy to make them fit (if need be) just how I like.  I take pride in the results and enjoy the effort put into it.  But I'm weird like that.

You're not alone... I modify dang near everything I buy. Give me a pack of generic candles and I'll put them on the lathe to make them all uniform.

Offline ZombieRecon

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2019, 11:07:00 PM »
Maybe I just got lucky, but mine installed with no problems at all.

Offline Inspector 12

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2019, 11:44:30 PM »
[quote Now all that said... I actually like modifying parts I buy to make them fit (if need be) just how I like.  I take pride in the results and enjoy the effort put into it.  But I'm weird like that.
[/quote]

You're not alone... I modify dang near everything I buy. Give me a pack of generic candles and I'll put them on the lathe to make them all uniform.
[/quote]

The only modification I was referring to is possibly needing to remove some flashing from the molding process, not dremeling the thing into submission. I was also referring to how some folks would slide the grip all the way forward and complain about difficulty removing and replacing the trigger pack instead of sliding it back just a bit so it would clear easily and be almost all the way forward.

I find it interesting that a mass production company like Magpul with all of their production experience would have users that are very successfully / happily using the grip while others are struggling with them / unhappy with the outcome. I question whether it is inconsistent manufacturing quality of the user of the item? I'll know first hand when mine gets here.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 07:37:52 AM by Inspector 12 »

anything