Author Topic: Magpul Grip  (Read 6705 times)

Offline Cohenj87

Re: Magpul Grip
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2019, 07:36:50 PM »
These seem to be out of stock everywhere and have been for a little bit from what I've seen. Makes me think Magpul might be working on a gen2. Either way I want to grab one as it looks much more comfortable and so the complaints on it don't bother me.

Offline JonSBREvo

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2019, 01:11:02 AM »
I know this is an old post and all... but I wanted to put my 2 cents in. I got a S1 I installed this grip on and now have charging issues. The trigger pack lowers in the front (and today found the back does as well) causing the bolt not to send home.

I’ll post a video I have a bit later. Anybody else figure anything out?

Offline Rhino Man

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2019, 07:46:03 PM »
FWIW I have a newer evo and the magpul grip fits perfect with no clearance issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Inspector 12

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2019, 10:28:22 AM »
I know this is an old post and all... but I wanted to put my 2 cents in. I got a S1 I installed this grip on and now have charging issues. The trigger pack lowers in the front (and today found the back does as well) causing the bolt not to send home.

I’ll post a video I have a bit later. Anybody else figure anything out?
Don't force the grip so far forward, doing so would indeed put pressure on the trigger pack. The grip is designed to be able to slide back and forth on the mounting rail to allow adjustment for individual trigger finger fit. On mine I slide it forward and back between a 16th and 32nd of an inch and everything works perfectly.

Seems that most of the problems identified with this grip are mostly installer induced. Holding forward pressure on the grip puts pressure on the trigger pack. Removing the wrong screws when installing seems to introduce the infamous "gap at the back of the grip". Neither of these "failures" are the fault of the grip. The grip doesn't need to be disassembled for installation, just slid on the rail. I had to wiggle mine a little but it slid right on. The grip also doesn't need to be "forced" forward with any pressure. Slide it forward and snug the screw and you're done.

Offline Laars

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2020, 06:52:07 PM »
I installed the Magpul grip on today. Pushed right on. Never touched the 2 grip screws, and tightened the main screw down. Fit is great. Trigger pack comes right out. Couldn't ask for a better product.

Offline romukom

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2020, 09:54:05 AM »
^^
That is great that you did not have any issues.  I decided to try the magpul grip knowing the issues.  Like many here, I also have the fitment issues.  I am starting to notice that for the people who does not have any issues installing it, their scorpion does not have the molded sling slot. Perhaps CZ updated the upper's molds?
In my case I have an older scorpion.  I had to considerably pound the handle in.  I did try to loose the screws during install but the ugly rear gap always show. So, I started to look what is causing this issue.
I took the grip apart and the date code of the grip is 7/ 19.  Not sure if this matters.  The first thing I noticed was a gouge in the upper receiver. Definitely, the molded bass insert nut is a bit too large.

So, I took my flat file and I started to file it flush.

I reinstall the grip again but it did not fixed the issue.  I looked both CZ and magpul grips and I noticed this.

Apparently Magpul did not copy the right profile of the upper's grip attachment. Notice that the CZ grip upper profile has an angle.  The Magpul grip is pretty square.  Again, I am not sure if Magpul dropped the ball by not copying the exact profile or if CZ has changed the profile in their latest molds and simply Magpul just simply copied the latest profile.  Yeah, trying to put a square peg in a round hole.  This definitely with cause the grip to be really tight, hence the rear gap  because there is no screws in that area to keep it close.  In the video posted here, IMO the guy in the video did the wrong approach.  He sanded the top the the grip instead of the tabs (@ 4:50).  He did not take the time to see what is the issue.

Perhaps the previous poster Laars can take a picture to see what has changed in his gun.  I already see a  slight line where the molded sling slot used to be.
In any case, I filed the edges trying to match the angles.  It took me about 10 minutes to file both tabs.  There is no much material to be removed as noticed in the above picture.  I do not recommend using your dremel for this process.  At the end I was able to slid the grip and gently tapping it in place with the handle of my screw driver.  This time there is almost no gap.

As others also noticed, if you pushed the grip all the way forward, the lower can't be removed.  What I did for now was to install the grip all the way forward with the factory screw loose then remove the lower.  After this I tighten the factory screw to secure the grip to the upper.  What causes this?  It is the position of the brass insert.  I would say is .020" to .030" too far back. 
I hope this helps to shed some light of the issues.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:11:46 AM by romukom, Reason: added more information »

Offline huskerlrrp

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2020, 02:27:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing this. I also have the same issue on my Scorpion with the Magpul grip. I like the ergonomics of it, however.

^^
That is great that you did not have any issues.  I decided to try the magpul grip knowing the issues.  Like many here, I also have the fitment issues.  I am starting to notice that for the people who does not have any issues installing it, their scorpion does not have the molded sling slot. Perhaps CZ updated the upper's molds?
In my case I have an older scorpion.  I had to considerably pound the handle in.  I did try to loose the screws during install but the ugly rear gap always show. So, I started to look what is causing this issue.
I took the grip apart and the date code of the grip is 7/ 19.  Not sure if this matters.  The first thing I noticed was a gouge in the upper receiver. Definitely, the molded bass insert nut is a bit too large.

So, I took my flat file and I started to file it flush.

I reinstall the grip again but it did not fixed the issue.  I looked both CZ and magpul grips and I noticed this.

Apparently Magpul did not copy the right profile of the upper's grip attachment. Notice that the CZ grip upper profile has an angle.  The Magpul grip is pretty square.  Again, I am not sure if Magpul dropped the ball by not copying the exact profile or if CZ has changed the profile in their latest molds and simply Magpul just simply copied the latest profile.  Yeah, trying to put a square peg in a round hole.  This definitely with cause the grip to be really tight, hence the rear gap  because there is no screws in that area to keep it close.  In the video posted here, IMO the guy in the video did the wrong approach.  He sanded the top the the grip instead of the tabs (@ 4:50).  He did not take the time to see what is the issue.

Perhaps the previous poster Laars can take a picture to see what has changed in his gun.  I already see a  slight line where the molded sling slot used to be.
In any case, I filed the edges trying to match the angles.  It took me about 10 minutes to file both tabs.  There is no much material to be removed as noticed in the above picture.  I do not recommend using your dremel for this process.  At the end I was able to slid the grip and gently tapping it in place with the handle of my screw driver.  This time there is almost no gap.

As others also noticed, if you pushed the grip all the way forward, the lower can't be removed.  What I did for now was to install the grip all the way forward with the factory screw loose then remove the lower.  After this I tighten the factory screw to secure the grip to the upper.  What causes this?  It is the position of the brass insert.  I would say is .020" to .030" too far back. 
I hope this helps to shed some light of the issues.

Offline Xfrog

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2020, 08:56:49 AM »
Must be a stacked tolerance issue.  I have a evo3 and micro.  One was a really tight fit with a  gap at the top.  Other tapped on with mallet and no gap.  Great deal on a yeti works if anybody wants them!!

Offline Destructo6

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2020, 05:24:33 PM »
Great deal on a yeti works if anybody wants them!!
Which yeti version?

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2020, 06:32:05 PM »
Just put a MagPul grip on my new Flash Can and Brace pistol. Went on with a firm push and no gaps. The trigger pack drops out the same asit did with the factory grip.

anything