Author Topic: Magpul Grip  (Read 16030 times)

Offline frbank6

Re: Magpul Grip
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2019, 11:42:38 AM »
I just got back from the post office sending mine back.  After reinstalling the factory grip, it seems to me there shouldn't be any fitting required for the Magpul;  if CZ can build a serviceable product that fits like a glove, why can't Magpul?

Offline moshee

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2019, 01:02:45 PM »
If an item needs to be fitted, then it would make sense for the manufacturer to design it to be fitted.  For example, Magpul grip could have been designed with nubs with instructions to sand down nubs to fit.  I could make mine fit better (without the halves splitting at the top of the back) if I sand down both my Scorpion and the Magpul grip but I'll be darn if I'll change the tolerances on the Scorpion.  Magpul grip should fit like a glove as is.  I agree with frbank6, CZ operates with the same tolerances and their grips fit without alteration.  Magpul could do the same or design grip to be custom fitted. 

Offline ZombieRecon

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2019, 02:33:51 PM »
If an item needs to be fitted, then it would make sense for the manufacturer to design it to be fitted.  For example, Magpul grip could have been designed with nubs with instructions to sand down nubs to fit.  I could make mine fit better (without the halves splitting at the top of the back) if I sand down both my Scorpion and the Magpul grip but I'll be darn if I'll change the tolerances on the Scorpion.  Magpul grip should fit like a glove as is.  I agree with frbank6, CZ operates with the same tolerances and their grips fit without alteration.  Magpul could do the same or design grip to be custom fitted.

Mine fits like glove right out of the box....no modifications required.

Offline eastman

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2019, 09:40:55 PM »
CZ has Magpul edition Scorpion carbines on display in their booth, and the fit looked fine. I liked the adjustable folding stock, but I know I really want the Bullpup.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline moshee

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2019, 03:43:12 PM »
Mine fits like a glove now, but it took a morning of filing and sanding to get it to fit. Got tired of looking at the gap at the grip's upper back. Lot of work to get a perfect fit.  I'm satisfied now with the install but still think this Magpul item was not ready for prime time.

Offline spoooon

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2019, 06:17:00 PM »
Got mine today, installed it. Perfect fit. Was a little tight, no sanding or anything required. Lower comes off with no problems.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:20:45 PM by spoooon »

Offline Inspector 12

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2019, 08:13:24 AM »

Guess I've spent too many years around racing and hot rods. I am used to spending money on items and then either "personalizing" them or needing to massage them to fit perfectly.  :o

Offline RockSemiAuto

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »
Update: sorry just posting follow up but I was out of town at the NRA Annual Meeting in Indy. First I did send an email to Magpul showing them photos of the grip installed on the gun. I also sent them photos of the grip not installed and you can clearly see that the two sides do not sit completely flush without there being a space at the top or the bottom of the grip. Magpul stated that it is probably a tolerance stacking issue and offered a replacement if I sent mine in to them. I also spoke with someone at the Magpul booth in Indy and he stated that he has heard of a few issues with the grips possibly being on the small side of the spec range and not fitting completely flush. Magpul was very responsive on the email and willing to fix the issue and the rep at the Magpul booth was also very helpful and stated that they would 100% take care of it to my satisfaction. While I own probably 100 Magpul products and will continue to support them I am not 100% satisfied with the grip so I will be sending back to Brownells for a refund. I did state on my refund reason to Brownells that item was defective. I am glad that some of you have had better luck with the grip but for now I have my OEM grip reinstalled and will see if Magpul comes out with a Gen2 in the near future.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:27:45 AM by RockSemiAuto »

Offline spoooon

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2019, 11:28:25 AM »
When I was installing mine, I was 100% sure that it wasn't going to fit. I would put it on, try to slide it in, and it looked like I would have to sand some material off. Kept trying, wouldn't go on. I was annoyed and bummed. Tried again before giving up and it just went on. It was still tight, but not so tight that I thought something was wrong. Not saying it's use error for everyone, but it is possible for some people out there. :D

Offline Stinkypol

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2019, 12:17:36 AM »
Liking my Magpul grip too.

Offline Inspector 12

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2019, 12:24:39 AM »
Well in about a week I should have first hand experience with the Magpul grip. Brownell's shipped mine off of back order today.

Offline moshee

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2019, 01:11:44 AM »
Good to hear some folks have had no problems with their install.  However, this YouTube vid ( at 6.20) shows the problem I had which required considerable filing and sanding to eliminate.  See linky:

Offline Inspector 12

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2019, 09:40:53 AM »
My Magpul grip got here yesterday and I put it on this morning. Slipped right on, no hammer required. I simply removed the old grip, slid the new one on and put the screw from the old grip on the new grip. Easy peasy. Now as far as the trigger group removal / installation, that question won't be answered for a few more weeks as my trigger pack is at CZC getting their trigger installed and tuned. Looking forward to the next few weeks to pass.

For those that were reporting "gaps at the rear of the grip when installing" it made me wonder if they took the Magpul grip apart to install it? Mine slid right on as it came out of the box, no disassembly required to get it installed.

Offline rbuzz00

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2019, 10:51:48 AM »
I have another thought on the Magpul grip that I wanted to throw out there. It's just pointing another possibility that hasn't been brought up before.  With all the complaints about the Magpul grip being out of spec and needing special fitting to make it work, have any of those with problems ever tried other brands of grips and did they fit without modification? If the other brands fit then maybe the complaints are justified. But what if it the CZ frame that is out of specs?  That is a possibility.

The CZ frame isn't machines to spec, it's molded, and it's entirely possible that the molding process might have left some flashing or high points that are responsible for the grip not fitting. It's also possible that the original CZ grip just has wider tolerances so that it fits while the Magpul grip might have tighter tolerances so that it's harder to fit. It's also possible that when the original CZ grip is installed, it is fit by using a little "persuasion" by the use of a big hammer to force it on.

I'm just saying that it takes two to tango, and if either of the two are out of specs, then problems can happen and it's hard to tell which one is actually the one out of spec.  It might be the Magpul grip or it might be something else.  We are all going on the assumption that the CZ frame is perfect and we forget that it too has specs that might not be 100%

Offline OpusXJ

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2019, 08:21:59 PM »
CZ uppers do have varying tolerances. It's up to Magpul to make a part that fits all those, just like the other grip manufactures have done.