Author Topic: Magpul Grip  (Read 16125 times)

Offline Manticore_Arms

Re: Magpul Grip
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2019, 07:31:53 AM »
I have another thought on the Magpul grip that I wanted to throw out there. It's just pointing another possibility that hasn't been brought up before.  With all the complaints about the Magpul grip being out of spec and needing special fitting to make it work, have any of those with problems ever tried other brands of grips and did they fit without modification? If the other brands fit then maybe the complaints are justified. But what if it the CZ frame that is out of specs?  That is a possibility.

The CZ frame isn't machines to spec, it's molded, and it's entirely possible that the molding process might have left some flashing or high points that are responsible for the grip not fitting. It's also possible that the original CZ grip just has wider tolerances so that it fits while the Magpul grip might have tighter tolerances so that it's harder to fit. It's also possible that when the original CZ grip is installed, it is fit by using a little "persuasion" by the use of a big hammer to force it on.

I'm just saying that it takes two to tango, and if either of the two are out of specs, then problems can happen and it's hard to tell which one is actually the one out of spec.  It might be the Magpul grip or it might be something else.  We are all going on the assumption that the CZ frame is perfect and we forget that it too has specs that might not be 100%

We have every type of OEM and aftermarket Scorpion EVO grip in house and six scorpion evos we use for product design. All the other grips fit just fine and let the lower drop out with no issue. The problem is, in my opinion, one of marginal design of the Magpul grip.

Sven
Manticore Arns

Offline rbuzz00

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2019, 11:24:56 AM »
I have another thought on the Magpul grip that I wanted to throw out there. It's just pointing another possibility that hasn't been brought up before.  With all the complaints about the Magpul grip being out of spec and needing special fitting to make it work, have any of those with problems ever tried other brands of grips and did they fit without modification? If the other brands fit then maybe the complaints are justified. But what if it the CZ frame that is out of specs?  That is a possibility.

The CZ frame isn't machines to spec, it's molded, and it's entirely possible that the molding process might have left some flashing or high points that are responsible for the grip not fitting. It's also possible that the original CZ grip just has wider tolerances so that it fits while the Magpul grip might have tighter tolerances so that it's harder to fit. It's also possible that when the original CZ grip is installed, it is fit by using a little "persuasion" by the use of a big hammer to force it on.

I'm just saying that it takes two to tango, and if either of the two are out of specs, then problems can happen and it's hard to tell which one is actually the one out of spec.  It might be the Magpul grip or it might be something else.  We are all going on the assumption that the CZ frame is perfect and we forget that it too has specs that might not be 100%

We have every type of OEM and aftermarket Scorpion EVO grip in house and six scorpion evos we use for product design. All the other grips fit just fine and let the lower drop out with no issue. The problem is, in my opinion, one of marginal design of the Magpul grip.

Sven
Manticore Arns

Thank you for clearing that up. That's why I put the part in my post about "....have any of those with problems ever tried other brands of grips and did they fit without modification? If the other brands fit then maybe the complaints are justified." 

Since you have the unique ability to test several different brands of grips on several different Scorpions and have definitely noticed a problem with the Magpul grip, I think it's safe to say that Magpul is the problem.  The average owner doesn't have that luxury.

Offline 3xternal

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2019, 04:41:46 PM »
Does anyone else have the screw protruding on the opposite side? I have about an 1/8 of a sharp inch sticking out.

Offline denisegold

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2019, 06:29:48 PM »
Just installed my Magpul grip without issue, took maybe three minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline AzEvo1

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2019, 10:08:25 PM »
Sorry but I cannot get by those 2 screws on the side of the grip! >:(  I'm way to OCD to have to look at that every time I pick up my weapon. Don't get me wrong I love Magpul and have never had an issue with any of their products but this is so unlike them. It looks like someone threw this together one night on a 3d printer with absolutely no thought. All my AR's have their grips and I love them but this 2 piece design makes no sense along with no storage inside the grip. I'm not trying to bash anyones choice here but for me I just can't look past the 2 piece grip style.

With that said I've read so many conflicting posts with all the aftermarket grips but can anyone recommend a good one? Right now I'm leaning towards the Apex and I know it's really all personal preference but can anyone who's had both comment on which one you like better or even recommend another grip? TIA  :)

Offline bgriff008

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2019, 08:15:45 AM »
Installed my magpul grip a couple weeks ago. Went on with no problems and very solid. The two screws, you don?t even feel them. The grip is very comfortable even with the extra texture. And the angle is way better than the OEM angle. That was the main reason for getting this. Plus it looks way better.

Id add a pic but doesn?t look like I?m allowed to post pics.

Offline Inspector 12

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2019, 08:26:26 AM »
Got my trigger pack back last night from CZC. It was a little tricky initially going in with the magpul grip on but only because I was used to doing it with the stock grip. While it is a little "snugger" going in with the magpul grip, after taking the pack in and out a few times the technique was easy to master. Looking forward to taking this thing to the range finally.

Offline ArmedOne

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2019, 09:35:35 PM »
So, does anyone know exactly where to grind on the Magpul Grip to get the gap in the back to disappear?  I looked but would like to hear from someone that has already done it before I get in there with a dremel.  Thanks in advance.

Offline denisegold

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2019, 10:06:04 PM »
So, does anyone know exactly where to grind on the Magpul Grip to get the gap in the back to disappear?  I looked but would like to hear from someone that has already done it before I get in there with a dremel.  Thanks in advance.
No gap with mine....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline LordEvo

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2019, 09:06:12 AM »
You need to put the grip on WITH the trigger pack to get a good fit.

Offline banshee71

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2019, 12:14:59 PM »
So the issue with having the Gap at the top of the grip , now would that cause the grip to flex? I just threw my mine on and I noticed the gap.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:35:11 PM by banshee71 »

Offline Inspector 12

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2019, 02:13:11 PM »
Does everyone recognize that the grips for the scorpion are by design adjustable ? The idea is the shooter can optimize the distance to the trigger for their liking. My Magpul grip works best with just a little room between the grip and the trigger pack. I have zero flex and fail to see why everyone seems to get so wrapped around the axle about the grip. On mine it was as simple as take the screw out, slide the stock grip off and slide the Magpul on. E Z P Z

Offline ITSSOCZ

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2019, 03:03:15 PM »
I just installed the Magpul grip and discovered the front of the grip will not sit absolutely flush with the trigger pack (unlike the Yeti grip I replaced).  I get that I could loosen the two screws on the grip and likely force it forward enough to eliminate the gap.  However, the result of doing this seems to create a gap at the rear of the grip, as well as, cause potential difficultly with the removal of the trigger pack.  I guess the other option would be to remove a little material from the grip channels to allow it to move a bit more forward without creating a gap at the back.  Going this route might still create an issue with the trigger pack removal.  I think I will leave well enough alone.  Sorry if I'm just reiterating the obvious.

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2019, 07:36:50 PM »
These seem to be out of stock everywhere and have been for a little bit from what I've seen. Makes me think Magpul might be working on a gen2. Either way I want to grab one as it looks much more comfortable and so the complaints on it don't bother me.

Offline JonSBREvo

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2019, 01:11:02 AM »
I know this is an old post and all... but I wanted to put my 2 cents in. I got a S1 I installed this grip on and now have charging issues. The trigger pack lowers in the front (and today found the back does as well) causing the bolt not to send home.

I’ll post a video I have a bit later. Anybody else figure anything out?