Author Topic: Palmetto State Armory ak-v mags  (Read 4129 times)

Offline woodstock31

Palmetto State Armory ak-v mags
« on: April 16, 2019, 10:42:02 AM »
I recently purchased 4 of these mags for my cz evo scorpion. They look and feel very well built. However, none of them drop free from m the mag well and do not hold the bolt open after the last round. Anyone else experience this? Is it the mags or the gun, you suppose?

Thanks!

Offline Jymbeux

Re: Palmetto State Armory ak-v mags
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 12:03:07 AM »
I've got two and neither drop free and the bolt hold open is inconsistent. Otherwise, solid mags.

Offline Maynard

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 01:46:01 AM »
I have 3 and none drop free or hold the bolt open.

They feed and function fine, otherwise.

Offline John A.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »
I had such high hopes for those mags.

They could probably be filed to get to drop free, but the inconsistent or no BHO rather sucks since they are supposed to.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline woodstock31

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 11:42:29 AM »
I too am a bit disappointed. I will probably be sending these back. Although I may keep up me to play around with.

Offline st381183

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 03:45:00 PM »
I would remind everyone the PSA mags were built for the AK-V and while the mags are presumed to work with the EVO, they are not guaranteed to work with an EVO perfectly. For $20 each with a 35 round capacity, I'm cool with stripping the mag out by hand. Failing to drop free or hold the bolt open are not deal breakers.  Mine feed fine and work with the BHO but each gun is different.

Offline woodstock31

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 04:40:33 PM »
Each gun is different like each shooter is different. I could look past the fact that these don't drop free but find it a little disappointing they don't hold the bolt open. Thanks for the reminder that these weren't made for the cz evo. 😄

Offline wanderson

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 07:24:20 PM »
That was my experience as well, tight fit and inconsistent BHO but otherwise good mags with strong springs and smooth followers. I like the reinforcements in the feed lips.

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 02:56:51 AM »
I have 4, shot with 3, ALL of them hold the bolt open...
however I did make a small modification to the mags after hearing of that issue before I shot them.

Where the follower protrudes for bolt hold, there is a small lip in the black polymer, I shaved it with a scalpel so that the follower would not hang up on it, which it did on all 4 mags, given my lack of problems I can only assume that was the solution

Offline woodstock31

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 05:33:33 AM »
Any chance you could provide a close up picture of your modification? Thanks!

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 05:17:59 PM »
Picture is of a CZ mag, but is better to show the location of where you need to cut. If you manipulate the follower, you can easily get it to snag in that location, a slight shave, like 0.5mm at a slight angle is enough for it to be free

Offline rbuzz00

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 10:01:02 AM »
Glad that your modification worked for you. I gave it a try with one of my PSA mags, and although their is no hangup and the follower is definitely smoother at this contact point, my magazine still will not allow for the bolt to hold open after the last round. So I guess I'm going to have to look into other solutions or just learn to live with it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

With my magazines, I've noticed that the little follower protrusion is noticeably longer (taller) than the one on my CZ mags. I'm wondering if that has any bearing on this. That's really the only difference I've been able to see when comparing the PSA and the CZ mags.

Offline John A.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »
I don't pay much mind to the bolt not staying open on the last round.  I have a lot of guns that don't do that.

The Mp5 doesn't do that.  The uzi doesn't do that.  I could go on and say most all WW2 pistol caliber SMG's don't do that.

And beyond that, the bolt hold open release on the scorpion is poorly located and somewhat hard to manipulate in terms of user ergonomics.

But if you're using a gun and magazines supposedly compatible with each other that theoretically SHOULD work the way it was designed.

When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline motorolanut

• “Character is what you are in the dark.”
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 03:34:00 PM »
I lightly sanded my PSA mags.  All now drop free and I love em. 
Virtue has united, death shall not separate

Offline cjive134

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 08:39:56 PM »
I ordered one last week and haven?t gotten a shipping notice yet.