Author Topic: Dillon 1050 primer issues  (Read 5451 times)

Offline Dan_69GTX

Re: Dillon 1050 primer issues
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 01:37:22 PM »
Wobbly, you've been of great help to me over the past 10 years on this forum.   I started out a newb loader and now consider myself safe and competent, if not Jedi Master level. You and the other wise men here on this site are the main reason.

I'd be happy to sell you (or any of them) my well used but well maintained and upgraded 1050 at a screaming deal...but not quite for $50!

C

$55 ?!?   8)
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 03:06:53 PM »
I have spares as I have a 550b and it uses the same tube and tip.

And the tip being the same on the 550 and 1050 is exactly what I suspected, but didn't know for sure. The issue that cropped up on my 550 was a combination of shuttle travel (adjustment) and the worn out tip. And this started at year 14 for me, which is what pinged my mind.

So you have a 550 AND a 1050. Man, you've got a whole pitcher of the Blue KoolAid !!

$55 ?!?   8)

Do I hear $56 ?   ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:13:22 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Clint007

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 03:24:25 PM »
I shoot 3-4K of 9mm per month, which is where the automated 1050 shines

For smaller lots of 10mm, 300BLK, etc the 550b is perfect.

But I digress.

Thx for everyone help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Temere phrase latine usus sum ut magna canetis

Offline noylj

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 11:22:38 PM »
Any one with a Dillon who lives within 4 hours of the shop should TAKE THE PRESS IN TO VISIT ITS HOME AND GET EVERYTHING TAKEN CARE OF.
I've called Dillon once, but gone it to see them about eight times and was always treated well and given parts for free as needed. The only thing they won't do is replace lost parts--losing a part is YOUR responsibility.
A even very slightly damaged plastic tip on the primer tube will wreck havoc on the operation.

PS: 1050 is perfect for everything it can handle. A four station press is never perfect--at least for ME. Sizing, powder drop/expander/flare, Lock-Out die or Dillon powder check, seat, crimp. I tried manual indexing about 38 years ago and it just isn't for me--found it way to easy to partially cycle the powder measure while taking care of another issue. YMMV and not all reloaders are the same.

Offline Clint007

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 11:04:39 AM »
Yeah. I know. Take it in. That makes sense. And I've had very good treatment there myself...provided I don't mention that I've automated the press. Then they are polite but insistent that the automation is the problem and we don't really make any progress after that revelation.

I will take it in if I can't solve this any other way. But it takes more than trivial effort to detach the 1050 from the Mark 7 system. Then revert back to hand press mode, take it in, and demonstrate the problem, then presumably reverse that process once they fix it (or after think they fix it).   If you add up all that time, it'll be at least 4-6 hours. Time is my issue. I have so little of it!  That's actually the reason for automation. I can make over 3k rounds (a busy month shooting) in 2 hours of press time. Not counting the maintenance, cleaning, case prep, etc.

There there is the Dillon elephant in the room: it could be automation that is the problem...if I revert to hand press and the problem fails to re-materialize, I need to re-automate and troubleshoot in that form to fix the problem. It worked for 150k rounds of automation up until last month, so there is something to fix somewhere...

The 1050 has only a 1 year warranty, and, if you are a recognized good customer and are nice, they often will provide freebies for many things like split rings, blue tips, a new powder hopper if your gets stained over time.....but they don't swap out used primer slides or worn out primer slide spring arm assemblies, etc.  I'm willing to empirically buy some likely replacement parts before I resort to taking the press in.  In fact I just did that on Saturday;  I bought a new primer slide and the spring arm assembly. Not cheap but more than worth 6 hours of my time. The guy there was very helpful and sort of agreed that if I brought the parts back and they weren't obviously 'used' that I could get a refund. So I'll compare these new parts to my old parts, see if there are obvious wear marks that might explain this 1/50 priming issue or such, and go from there.

I hear the 1100 coming out soon is a 'beefier' version of the 1050...perhaps they are accepting the fact that automation will be a reality despite their official opposition to this concept. I dunno. 

If things keep happening like this - which I have to assume are simply signs of repeated wear and tear (I've over 300k rounds on it now) - I may actually have to conclude that I accept Dillon's assertion: their presses really weren't designed to be automated, or at least automated for >150k rounds.   I might look into a Mark 7 Evolution press instead. The problem with that is $ and the time it'll take me to come up to speed on THAT new system. This 1050 (it's almost 10 years old) took me months to really understand all the nuances and how it really works.  I have less free time now than then.....

Best to all...

C

Offline Clint007

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 11:21:51 AM »
The primer arm bracket assembly on my well used 1050 is clearly 'worn' more than a new unit, which I purchased and which is compared below in the attached photon. The springs are also worn, also.  I hope this explains the intermittent primer insertion problem I'm having, but based on my understanding of how this assembly 'times' the the primer's drop into the slide/shuttle pocket, it makes sense.

C

[Mods fixed photo width]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:15:56 PM by Wobbly »

Offline painter

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 09:36:47 PM »
The primer arm bracket assembly on my well used 1050 is clearly 'worn' more than a new unit, which I purchased and which is compared below in the attached photon. The springs are also worn, also.  I hope this explains the intermittent primer insertion problem I'm having, but based on my understanding of how this assembly 'times' the the primer's drop into the slide/shuttle pocket, it makes sense.

C

[Mods fixed photo width]
Worn, you say? 

I'd call it worn out. :P
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Clint007

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 11:04:07 PM »
but so slowly over 10 years that I never noticed until I compared it to a new one...the frog in the boiling water...
C

Offline painter

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 06:50:17 AM »
Just out of curiosity...does Dillon recommend that part get lubed, and if not, why not?

Seems like a perfect spot for a small amount of grease.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline oteroman

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2019, 09:47:44 AM »
Just greased mine.

Offline Clint007

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2019, 05:43:28 PM »
Sorry for late reply. Yes, Dillon recommends that Cam Guide Bolt be lubricated with grease. I also replaced the Cam Guide Bolt as well as the bracket assembly. The cam guide bolt was actually worn, too.

I'm now about 2k rounds in after replacing the primer slide bracket assembly, and the cam buide bolt, and the priming issue (1-2% of random headstamp cases going unprimed) has resolved.   Lesson learned.

Now the only issues I get are brass related. Somehow, I ended up with some cursed WCC 9mm brass (crosshair stamp)... with variant primer pocket dimensions that will not swage out on the 1050.  I have a primer pocket gauge that shows 'normal' mil brass is swaged properly on the 1050 but this stuff is not.   I call it insurgent brass.....unwelcome, malevolent, co-mingled with the normal population, and disposed of when found.  :>

C

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 08:27:37 AM »
Now the only issues I get are brass related. Somehow, I ended up with some cursed WCC 9mm brass (crosshair stamp)... with variant primer pocket dimensions that will not swage out on the 1050.  I have a primer pocket gauge that shows 'normal' mil brass is swaged properly on the 1050 but this stuff is not.   I call it insurgent brass.....unwelcome, malevolent, co-mingled with the normal population, and disposed of when found.  :>

C

Are you sure it's not a brass plated steel case ??
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Clint007

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 10:41:39 AM »

C

Are you sure it's not a brass plated steel case ??

Great point. I screen my brass twice with magnets, once during cleaning and then again with a magnet mounted in the case drop tube. The latter causes the brass to hang stubbornly at the top. I didn?t test this rogue case separately but I tossed it in a box and I will do so the next time I?m out there. I noticed that its primer pocket was noticeably narrower than spec, and assumed that was the reason. I?ll check later. Thx!

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything