Author Topic: Anyone run a Romeo 5 with the high mount on Scorpion Micro?  (Read 6538 times)

Offline TenSix

Anyone run a Romeo 5 with the high mount on Scorpion Micro?
« on: April 18, 2019, 05:45:33 PM »
Need yalls opinions before buying an optic. I did a search on the forum and it seems that everyone is running their Romeo 5 red dots with the low mount in order to co-witness with the irons. I?m afraid that will make the sight picture too busy.

If I use the high mount, I would have a clean sight picture and still be able to use the iron sights through the opening in the mount under the optic, right?

Thanks

Offline M012617

Re: Anyone run a Romeo 5 with the high mount on Scorpion Micro?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:01:27 PM »
Need yalls opinions before buying an optic. I did a search on the forum and it seems that everyone is running their Romeo 5 red dots with the low mount in order to co-witness with the irons. I?m afraid that will make the sight picture too busy.

If I use the high mount, I would have a clean sight picture and still be able to use the iron sights through the opening in the mount under the optic, right?

Thanks
Correct.

I tried the low mount on my Romeo 5 and thought the sight picture was too busy for my taste. With the high mount you could see the irons if need be.

I have a micro, though I'm not sure it matters much.

I actually had pictures of the low mount sight picture.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline TenSix

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 07:26:25 PM »
M012617,

Appreciate the reply. Just ordered the Romeo 5.

Offline M012617

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 10:12:13 PM »
M012617,

Appreciate the reply. Just ordered the Romeo 5.
Enjoy

Offline ShakyDog

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 03:53:20 PM »
To "de-clutter" the look with the optic on the low mount you could remove the rear iron site and keep the front...

I do not have an issue with both iron site and the Romeo 5 (or my new Holosun 503GU Elite) on the low mount. I did have an odd issue with my brand new Holosun 503GU and Holosun's tech support is great. They even sent me the shipping label. So my Romeo 5 is back on Scorpion duty, nice to have an extra :)

Steve

Offline BG ARMORY

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 07:28:55 PM »
if you practice long enough just looking past everything you will stop noticing the iron sights in the bottom of the sight picture

Offline Mr.E.G.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 11:19:51 PM »

Thanks

I run an MRO (which is not my favorite optic) on a high mount which enables me to look through the irons beneath the mount of the red dot.

Offline M012617

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 11:38:11 PM »

To "de-clutter" the look with the optic on the low mount you could remove the rear iron site and keep the front...

I do not have an issue with both iron site and the Romeo 5 (or my new Holosun 503GU Elite) on the low mount. I did have an odd issue with my brand new Holosun 503GU and Holosun's tech support is great. They even sent me the shipping label. So my Romeo 5 is back on Scorpion duty, nice to have an extra :)

Steve

I thought about taking them off but like having them in there. Great to here about your positive experience with Holosun. I've got my eye on that one but haven't wanted to spend the extra money on it yet. I put my Romeo 5 back on one of ARs and have a sightmark on the scorpion. It was very cheap so I am hoping it lasts, but I really like the green reticles it comes with and the quick detach mount.

Offline Thunderstick

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 11:56:38 PM »
I use the low mount on my Sig Romeo5 on my Scorpion competition gun.  I so focus on the red dot I never see the iron sights.

Offline TenSix

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 02:11:52 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Nerdy question alert:

Considering that it?s a polymer Picatinny rail, How many torque pounds do you use to tighten down the mounting screw on the base, or do you just go by feel?

Offline motorolanut

• “Character is what you are in the dark.”
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 03:31:19 PM »
Be careful, go by feel.  Do NOT over tighten.
Virtue has united, death shall not separate

Offline Xfrog

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 07:51:16 PM »

Running the 4s with the QD.  I prefer the qd mount with plastic rails.  You can pinch it the same every time.  I have taken it off to wash the dirt and mud out of the scorp and put it back on with no poi change.

Offline Inspector 12

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 08:20:19 AM »
PSA has been running a deal on Romeo 5 2moa. $119 with free shipping. Mine gets here today

Offline TenSix

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 02:05:11 AM »
Just tried the Romeo 5 with low mount and it works great with co-witness.

ONLY ONE PROBLEM:

I stripped the threads on 2 of the 4 screws that hold the optic to the mount! Bear in mind I?m not a strong dude, and i barely applied any pressure using a torque driver set at only 15 in/lbs. I remember reading about others who also had broken screws on their Romeo 5s. Is this a common issue with the Sig Romeo?

I will exchange it and give it another go, but this doesn?t instill confidence in the product.

Offline ShakyDog

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 04:44:04 PM »

Steve

I thought about taking them off but like having them in there. Great to here about your positive experience with Holosun. I've got my eye on that one but haven't wanted to spend the extra money on it yet. I put my Romeo 5 back on one of ARs and have a sightmark on the scorpion. It was very cheap so I am hoping it lasts, but I really like the green reticles it comes with and the quick detach mount.

Just to follow up, I sent the Holosun 503GU-Elite back and less than a week later I got back a 515GM-Elite. The new one is a much more expensive model and only came with the quick release tall mount. I swapped the mount out with the low mount on the Romeo 5 and all is well. Very happy so far, I hope that this one does not turn off or to the lowest brightness setting after each round like the last one...

Steve