Author Topic: You hear a bump in the night, which one do you grab?  (Read 4364 times)

Offline TenSix

You hear a bump in the night, which one do you grab?
« on: April 20, 2019, 05:05:27 PM »

Let?s discuss HD tactics:
You and your family are asleep. You hear someone break through your front door. Do you grab your pistol (15-17 rounds of 9mm) with RMR and tac light or your Scorpion Micro (32 rds of 9mm) with arm brace, red dot, and tac light? And why?

Assuming you live in a normal 2000 sq ft house in the suburbs, and you are equally proficient with both weapons.

Offline TjB101

Re: You hear a bump in the night, which one do you grab?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 05:14:11 PM »
CZ for sure ... I?ve been tempted to replace my shotgun with my Scorpion.  Just don?t lock up guns when I leave the house to go out for the day and would be very sad if it went bye-bye.

Offline Batt 57

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 05:48:19 PM »
One caveat, I grab a second hand-held light.  I don?t search my house or property with a weapon mounted light.

This has happened to me before when I lived in a very rural, equestrian community.  Out of the four occasions I went to investigate noises outside my house, three of them where teenage girls trying to get my sons attention.
Didn?t want to shine a light on them that was attached to my weapon. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline sboone

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 06:43:03 PM »
Scorpion hands down, however I will grab my shotgun first. It's cheaper to replace a mossberg 590 than a suppressed scorpion but I'm proficient with both. The scorp backs up the 12G IF I need it

Offline Chaucer22

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 09:30:20 PM »

I don't think the price of the firearm should dictate anything. If a $10,000 gun gets me 2% advantage over a $500 gun in a fight for my LIFE, i'm not gonna sit and think about which one will cost more to replace. I EDC a handgun that has $1,800 into it.

Anyways,

I think the key here is knowing that door is busted in. If I am 50/50 on what the bump is, its gonna be my P-09 with Surefire, RMR, and 21 rd stick. I prefer the option to lower the handgun and poke around with a handheld than point a loaded weapon at my stupid cat.

Something that sounds much more like a break in, (broken glass, voices, footsteps) the Scorpion 100%. All things are better. I can transition targets faster, and my splits are much better. I can bury rounds consistently into a 5 inch circle with a much quicker cadence than my handgun.

--chaucer

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline adrian

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 09:54:22 PM »
     Hiya TenSix and thanks for your thread. Very nice platforms you have there and I'd say which ever ones closer. I concur with the operators who mention different ques,voices,glass breaking that might alert you to drunk neighbors being the culprits,to even a relative in days early and getting a jump on laundry. If in a large urban area the response is quick with reporting home invasion,with a little luck help could arrive before they take down the doorway.
     Best laid plans can meet murphy law to. Hard of hearing and a sleep agent turned out a disadvantage when I was home invaded,and was tied up and gagged while barely coming out of my REM sleep. But order of bedsides were m4 12ga,p-01,and cz83, turned out the blokes were gun collectors too. Be well.

Offline M012617

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 10:54:49 PM »
Scorpion all day! Mine is a safe queen though, I haven't found a suitable rig for it outside the safe and dont want to leave it out while I'm away from home. I keep a 590 and pistol nearby for situations like that.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline M012617

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 10:58:14 PM »

You and your family are asleep. You hear someone break through your front door. Do you grab your pistol (15-17 rounds of 9mm) with RMR and tac light or your Scorpion Micro (32 rds of 9mm) with arm brace, red dot, and tac light? And why?

Assuming you live in a normal 2000 sq ft house in the suburbs, and you are equally proficient with both weapons.
Pardon my ignorance but what light mount is that on the scorpion and what safety are you using. That's a slick setup.

Offline M012617

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 11:01:04 PM »
CZ for sure ... I?ve been tempted to replace my shotgun with my Scorpion.  Just don?t lock up guns when I leave the house to go out for the day and would be very sad if it went bye-bye.
Same here. I dont want to have to lock it up every time I leave the house.

Offline TenSix

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 11:20:50 PM »
Great discussion guys! And for those asking about the guns in the pic; those are just stock photos. I do have a G17 as a night stand gun and am currently getting upgrades for my Scorpion Micro.  I?ll post pics when she?s all set :)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 07:50:04 AM »
Noises in the house get the P09 in my hand.  DI RMR, 21 rounds, TLR1 and my hand held light is on the table by the bed.

A bigger rig, in the house, would not be my choice.

A have a bigger rigs and would grab one of them if I had to go out the back door.  If a bear ever climbs over the dog pen fence and goes after the boys the big rig I go out the back door with is a GII.  I don't really expect a bear to want to go over the fence.

Also have a hand held light beside the P01 (17 rounds, Olight mini) at my recliner.

I've always been one of those guys who thought in the terms of having to take/make a shot on a small target, so the pistol/rifle/me have to be capable of putting a bullet on the target even when I can only see a part of the target.  The CZ pistols, the AR15's let me do that.  While I have a couple 12 ga. shotguns loaded with 00 buckshot, they are not capable of making "small target" shots.  Area shots, not small target shots.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Antmistr

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 01:01:15 PM »

Pardon my ignorance but what light mount is that on the scorpion and what safety are you using. That's a slick setup.

The safety?s are hbi mini ak style. I think that mount is built onto the light, not an individual light mount.

Offline fisterkev

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 06:35:19 PM »
My Scorpion has become my primary option for bump in the night, I've cleared the property with it several times so far (all animals so far).

Generally speaking, I will always pick the Scorpion over a pistol because A) I am more proficient with it, and B) higher round capacity. I also have a better light on it than any of the pistols.

But the main reason I go with it is simply because I can put more rounds on target more accurately with it. It's that simple.

A better question would, IMHO, be whether to choose the Scorpion over say, an AR15. Most Scorpion owners probably also own an AR15 as well (I've got 3), and I will be honest, I don;t really have a good excuse at this point for choosing the Scorpion over one of them. The AR15 is clearly the more powerful weapon, and I am also very proficient with it, with roughly the same ammo capacity. So why am I choosing the Scorpion now? Sure, the Scorpion with good defensive ammo will take down a BG just fine, but clearly 5.56mm is going to be more sure in that purpose.

I really don't have a good answer to that. In all honesty I think I just like carrying and shooting the Scorpion more now, though I know that's not a good reason to choose it over an AR in home defense situations.

Offline Bgdawgrr

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 06:59:00 AM »
The best answer for the Scorpion vs AR for inside the house are your ears. 5.56 inside without hearing protection may result in permanent damage. 9mm, more like tinnitus.

Imho, pistol caliber defensive weapons have gone WAY up on the food chain.
Great capacity, better ballistics than a handgun, maneuverable, don?t over penetrate and good out to any range you could ever justify in a sd situation.

BTW, still keep an AR handy and pistol by the bed. Options are important.

Offline Linejudgemick

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 02:25:51 PM »
Given a choice I would use a long gun, preferrably my 16 1/2 inch barreled shotgun. But my wife does not like it in our bedroom closet so it's in the RSC in the basement. One of my handguns will have to suffice. Typically my EDC is on the bedside table, but if we have visitors, it is locked too. I do have an easy access lockbox within quick reach for those situations. I imagine each person has to deal with their own set of limitations and compromises.
CZ 75 P-01 Omega & P-07

anything