Author Topic: You hear a bump in the night, which one do you grab?  (Read 4365 times)

Offline Mr.E.G.

Re: You hear a bump in the night, which one do you grab?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 03:07:08 PM »
In my humble opinion fisterkev, if you are accurate with the scorpion and have fast followups, that's all the reason you need.

It makes no difference how much oomph the 556 has, if you put rounds on target faster and adequately with the scorpion.

I have been a pistol caliber guy for years.  Even during those years where it wasn't popular to be one.  I own multiple pistol caliber guns, and I will say that if used within their limitations, they're perfectly suited for self/home defense.

Folks can say what they want, but 9mm has put a lot of tags on a lot of toes in the last 100 years or so.

I don't have a problem with the scorpion either.  I'd be content using a scorpion too.   I shoot it well, and it's proven itself reliable and I know it's a good tool.

But, for HD, I am more partial to the suppressed Blk.

Well said. A couple of additional thoughts...

The three most important factors in shooting someone are shot placement, shot placement, and shot placement, in that order. You need enough bullet to punch through to the goodies, but once you've met this basic requirement, shooting them in the right place becomes the most important factor. If one can more reliably put multiple rounds on the central nervous system with a 9mm than they can with 5.56, then 9mm is the way to go (assuming an effective operating range and all that).

Moreover, whether 5.56 is a good home defense round or not depends on which flavor of 5.56 we're talking about. If we're talking about shooting mil-spec ammo at a badguy who is 20 feet away, I'd rather shoot him with 9mm defense ammo. Non "fancy" 5.56 can be a real turd at close distances, as our soldiers found in Iraq when they'd kick in a door and icepick some terrie but not take him out of the fight. If you're running 75 grain Gold Dots, you're probably good to go.

In any event, I imagine this is common knowledge. I was just riffing.

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 04:19:05 PM »
My CZ-97BD rests on my nightstand every night.  When, and if, I have a long arm out too, it's my Mossberg 590A1 (18.5" barrel). 

GS
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 03:38:17 AM »
For me it is all about timing, I can remove a pistol from a holster next to my head and point it at the bedroom door faster than I can grab a scorpion that weighs several pounds from wherever it is stashed. But I can triple-tap and engage multiple targets way faster with my red dot equipped scorpion. Ammo capacity is actually the same, I have 16 rounds in both the handgun as well as the 20rd scorpion mag I keep on the nightstand. I figure with both guns and my wife we should have a handle on things (and there is a 3rd gun in case of malfunction).

If I hear something that is obviously a breakin, or sounds outside the bedroom door that do not sound typical, handgun. If I hear someone walking up the deck steps or what sound like someone trying to pry open a window, scorpion. The only 2 times I have ever grabbed a gun to take a look around, it had either been a wind gust or a stray cat that climbed up the deck steps, and my cats went nuts when they saw it.

Luckily, I live literally 2 minutes away from the county sheriff HQ, so a breakin is unlikely... however criminals can be stupid and not take things like that into account.

Offline motorolanut

• “Character is what you are in the dark.”
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 07:36:03 AM »
In my humble opinion fisterkev, if you are accurate with the scorpion and have fast followups, that's all the reason you need.

It makes no difference how much oomph the 556 has, if you put rounds on target faster and adequately with the scorpion.

I have been a pistol caliber guy for years.  Even during those years where it wasn't popular to be one.  I own multiple pistol caliber guns, and I will say that if used within their limitations, they're perfectly suited for self/home defense.

Folks can say what they want, but 9mm has put a lot of tags on a lot of toes in the last 100 years or so.

I don't have a problem with the scorpion either.  I'd be content using a scorpion too.   I shoot it well, and it's proven itself reliable and I know it's a good tool.

But, for HD, I am more partial to the suppressed Blk.

Well said. A couple of additional thoughts...

The three most important factors in shooting someone are shot placement, shot placement, and shot placement, in that order. You need enough bullet to punch through to the goodies, but once you've met this basic requirement, shooting them in the right place becomes the most important factor. If one can more reliably put multiple rounds on the central nervous system with a 9mm than they can with 5.56, then 9mm is the way to go (assuming an effective operating range and all that).

Moreover, whether 5.56 is a good home defense round or not depends on which flavor of 5.56 we're talking about. If we're talking about shooting mil-spec ammo at a badguy who is 20 feet away, I'd rather shoot him with 9mm defense ammo. Non "fancy" 5.56 can be a real turd at close distances, as our soldiers found in Iraq when they'd kick in a door and icepick some terrie but not take him out of the fight. If you're running 75 grain Gold Dots, you're probably good to go.

In any event, I imagine this is common knowledge. I was just riffing.

Very true words on the 5.56 ammo choice.
Virtue has united, death shall not separate

Offline radagast

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 08:45:59 AM »
     It's a tree branch falling on the roof, otherwise the barking dog, screaming cockatoo, and 10,000 lumens of perimeter security lights should have already discouraged all but most determined team of attackers ! Two P07s Bedside and a convenient 12 gauge might not be enough for one of us to reach the arsenal !  I'll just grab a cup of coffee and go back to bed !
"Let there be light"  and there was muzzle flash !

Offline 3xternal

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 07:23:29 AM »
Once I get a light on my scorpion and my tax stamp goes through for my IA-SC9, it will be the scorpion.

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 11:47:44 AM »
M-3 Benelli or a .45 FNX tactical.  The CZ SP-01 tac. would bring confidence too.    Lately I've been considering a short rifle or "braced pistol" in 7.62X39.   Maybe just a AK....hmmm...

Offline sboone

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 01:21:45 PM »
M-3 Benelli or a .45 FNX tactical.  The CZ SP-01 tac. would bring confidence too.    Lately I've been considering a short rifle or "braced pistol" in 7.62X39.   Maybe just a AK....hmmm...

I will tell you from experience that 762x39 out of anything shorter than a 12" barrel will ring your bell, I used to have a VZ 58 pistom with a 7.5" barrel and even outside it was the last gun Id shoot on range days because it was so disorienting I couldnt shoot straight after it.  Ive had a couple good concussions in my short time too and that may make me more sensitive to concussive blasts but its a driving force for me to recommend suppressors whenever possible especially on short barrels and with large calibers

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 04:09:04 PM »
Last night the big dog was barking out in the dog pen.  Just barking and barking and barking.  I opened up the bathroom window, waved the big Olight around the back yard, the trees, the garage and shed and the back lot.  Nothing.  The big dog is in the pen barking.  The small dog (63 lbs. on the last vet trip) was lying on the dog house porch doing a sort of low "woof" every so often.  No sign of the middle sized dog (75 or 76 lbs. on the last vet trip).

I spoke to the two I could see, asked what they were barking at and got the usual response (stood there and looked at me  before barking some more.)  I shut the window, changed clothes and grabbed my shoes.  Then I grabbed the P09 .40 off the top of the fridge and the big Olight and went out the back door to the deck.

Got out on the back of the deck and shined the light around again while talking to the boys.  I guess me being outside was plain to the middle sized guy so that time he crawled out from under the big doghouse and came up to the fence wagging his tail and almost dragging his tongue in the grass (longest dang tongue anybody I know has ever seen flop around out of dog's mouth - first thing they comment on is how long his tongue is). 

I talked to them a bit while I again looked everything over with the Olight and then told them good night and headed into the house.  No more barking.  What were they barking at?  I'm beginning to figure that out (they don't like it when he's sleeping under the dog house for some reason.  Both the other dogs will bark till they get him to come out.  I guess they just like to be able to keep an eye on each other all the time.

I had a choice on what to take outside.  What I took was based on where I was at the time I made the decision.

Something to consider.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline TolusD

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 11:29:02 AM »
I have a decked out MKA1919 with a 20 round drum full of low recoil #4 buckshot in a quick release safe under my bed. I would opt out of the options given. In my opinion, probably because I grew up in the South, nothing but a 12 gauge will do when something goes bump.

That said, if it was down to your 2 options, I'd choose the Glock simply because it's a easier to defend using a handgun once the civil suit hits. If you kill an intruder with anything remotely resembling any semblance of any aspect of the word "assault", you're giving the criminal's family unnecessary leverage when they inevitably sue you.

Offline SilentRecon

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2019, 12:31:19 PM »
Suppressed AR15 (preferably SBR or Pistol) would be my number one choice with my Micro Scorpion going to my wife for backup. If you have time to put one on, G19 backup. No need to blow your ears out because of a dumbass making bad decisions at night breaking  into your home.

More important than firearm choice is layers of protection. Cameras, ADT alarm with signs posted, a dog, and a quality deadbolt on any doors. If they ignore all of that, well then they are severely incompetent or on a mission to kill you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline TolusD

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2019, 02:23:09 PM »

More important than firearm choice is layers of protection. Cameras, ADT alarm with signs posted, a dog, and a quality deadbolt on any doors. If they ignore all of that, well then they are severely incompetent or on a mission to kill you.

Totally agree here. I run 24/7 LED lights all around, full overlapping camera coverage, and all my exterior doors are dead-bolted with jam armor and magnetic buzzer alarms. The cams I use have PIR sensors so they pick up anything with a heat contrast and then send my phone a Push alert and an emailed screen cap of what tripped the sensor. They're tiny and run on solar panels that are up on the roof so they're visible but not offensive to the neighbors. Most of the late night scares I get are curious raccoons and idiot deer trying to eat the culinary herbs growing in my deck planter. I have neighbors on both sides who are local cops who street park their duty vehicles so that doesn't hurt either. 

But my favorite thing is the Bluetooth strobe lights and thumb drive plugged into my central home theater system. From one button press on my phone, I can shut down all the lights in the house, turn on 2 huge strobe lights disguised as can lights above the fireplace, and start playing death metal at full volume. I can then speak through the phone through the sound system just to make sure anyone dumb enough to be inside understands the situation they walked into.

Offline SilentRecon

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2019, 07:46:43 PM »

Totally agree here. I run 24/7 LED lights all around, full overlapping camera coverage, and all my exterior doors are dead-bolted with jam armor and magnetic buzzer alarms. The cams I use have PIR sensors so they pick up anything with a heat contrast and then send my phone a Push alert and an emailed screen cap of what tripped the sensor. They're tiny and run on solar panels that are up on the roof so they're visible but not offensive to the neighbors. Most of the late night scares I get are curious raccoons and idiot deer trying to eat the culinary herbs growing in my deck planter. I have neighbors on both sides who are local cops who street park their duty vehicles so that doesn't hurt either. 

But my favorite thing is the Bluetooth strobe lights and thumb drive plugged into my central home theater system. From one button press on my phone, I can shut down all the lights in the house, turn on 2 huge strobe lights disguised as can lights above the fireplace, and start playing death metal at full volume. I can then speak through the phone through the sound system just to make sure anyone dumb enough to be inside understands the situation they walked into.
I'm going to have to look into the strobe lights! The only thing I would change is that it would automatically open all my doors with a big ENTER sign outside that lights up. Then get on the loudspeaker...."Come in fellas, LETS PLAY A GAME.."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 11:32:27 PM »

I will tell you from experience that 762x39 out of anything shorter than a 12" barrel will ring your bell, I used to have a VZ 58 pistom with a 7.5" barrel and even outside it was the last gun Id shoot on range days because it was so disorienting I couldnt shoot straight after it.  Ive had a couple good concussions in my short time too and that may make me more sensitive to concussive blasts but its a driving force for me to recommend suppressors whenever possible especially on short barrels and with large calibers

Thanks for your advice.  Waiting on a can for my AR-10.   You made me rethink this.

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 01:28:53 AM »
I removed the blast diverter from my AR.... once. It has a 10.5" barrel, and the concussion at the range felt like I got punched in the mouth. The only reason I will ever remove it again is if I get a can on the thing. With the diverter on it is still quite loud, and there is concussive blast, but it is weak, neither painful nor annoying, 100 rounds later and the only thing hurting is the shoulder.