Author Topic: New shooter wanting to get in Carry Optics  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Trevor300wsm

New shooter wanting to get in Carry Optics
« on: May 12, 2019, 08:23:38 PM »
For someone that wants to get into the Carry Optics division, what would be your choice of pistol? I am new to pistol competition and know very little at this time in regards to the rules that limit what gun can be used in this division. I know there is a weight limit. Let?s say price is not a factor at this time for this particular setup. I realize this is a CZ Forum and I?d like to shoot a CZ pistol. Is the P10-F OR a viable option, or do we need to stick with metal frame guns?

Just looking for advice before I make a purchase.

Offline Crawl

Re: New shooter wanting to get in Carry Optics
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 08:34:36 PM »
I have tried the P320, Shadow 2, Czechmate, Glock, P-07, P-09, and P-10. I have really liked them all (320 the least).

Right now, I can't get over how bad ass the Canik Combat Elite is. Seriously. So accruurate, super soft shooting, comes with all the adapters you need. As accurate as ANY gun I've shot.

Offline Trevor300wsm

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 08:41:17 PM »
I have tried the P320, Shadow 2, Czechmate, Glock, P-07, P-09, and P-10. I have really liked them all (320 the least).

Right now, I can't get over how bad ass the Canik Combat Elite is. Seriously. So accruurate, super soft shooting, comes with all the adapters you need. As accurate as ANY gun I've shot.

I appreciate the reply. I wasn?t expecting to see a Canik fan on here. I?ve looked at the Canik Combat Elite simply because you get so much gun for the price. I recently purchased an SF Elite (compact model) just because they were so cheap, it was hard to pass up.

Offline Crawl

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 08:49:26 PM »
I'm a CZ guy, to be honest. But this CEC is really soft shooting and accurate. The barrel, recoil assembly, trigger, and sights are made by Salient. It's legit. Also, it was built around NATO rounds, so don't plan to run 115gr in it. Matt Hopkins is killing it with his full size P10 w/DPP as much as he did with his S2. The new optics ready models have a mag release that's faster than the old one. The gun is accurate enough. Glock and Sig are easier to find parts for, but that doesn't sway me from CZ at all. It MIGHT make me avoid Canik.

Offline Trevor300wsm

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 09:23:38 PM »
I didn?t know an S2 would make the weight limit. The P10 series of guns fit me so well. They point so naturally for me. But I don?t want to buy a gun that is automatically going to have me at any disadvantage right out of the gate. I?m a spend the extra and buy right the first time type of guy. I?m not at all saying that a P10 would hold me back skill wise. Certainly not. I just want the best option I can get from the start. 

Offline Crawl

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 09:30:05 PM »
I don't know if the S2 makes weight in CO. I just know that he switched and said that he's faster on transitions, draws, and reloads with the P10 and accuracy/recoik isn't a problem.

Offline kmanick

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 11:39:19 PM »
S2 does not make weight without slide lightening. I had mine done by CZC and love it)
Shadow Target II will make weight you just need to mill for the optic.
P10 F Optics is good to go right out of the box.
SP-01 with some CGW's love will also make weight (again you need the slide milled for optic)
Canik gets a lot of love
M&P Cores (once they have Apex trigger kits) are also a viable option.
 I have a performance Center 9L that I use for steel, with the apex forward set sear kit/flat trigger it shoots very fast.
make it criminal to own a gun and only criminals will own them

Offline Trevor300wsm

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 02:47:07 AM »
S2 does not make weight without slide lightening. I had mine done by CZC and love it)
Shadow Target II will make weight you just need to mill for the optic.
P10 F Optics is good to go right out of the box.
SP-01 with some CGW's love will also make weight (again you need the slide milled for optic)
Canik gets a lot of love
M&P Cores (once they have Apex trigger kits) are also a viable option.
 I have a performance Center 9L that I use for steel, with the apex forward set sear kit/flat trigger it shoots very fast.
@kmanick what did it cost you to have your slide milled by CZC?

Offline kmanick

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 07:41:38 AM »
I believe this is the correct link to what I had done. i was quoted 4 weeks got it back in 2 :)
it's the multi plate optics cut (which is good because I've already switched optics once , may switch one more time )
https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/red-dot-mounting/cz-custom-rds-plate-system/s-i-rds-plate-cut-shadow-2-co.html
make it criminal to own a gun and only criminals will own them

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 01:48:39 PM »
I would invest in the platform you like to shoot. I started out shooting a tuned pre-b in club matches and then put together a P10C for CO. After almost a year of matches & lots of dry fire I just don't enjoy it that much. With the large backstrap it fits my hand but doesn't point naturally, with the medium it points better but isn't as comfortable.
 Because of this, I had one of my pre-b's milled for a red dot. My first match with the 75 will be this Saturday, but it sure points nicely for me when practicing/dry fire. Bottom line for me is I just like short dust cover 75's.

anything