Author Topic: Use a 40 TS slide on a standard 75 SA 9 Frame  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Fuzzy Sights

Use a 40 TS slide on a standard 75 SA 9 Frame
« on: May 02, 2019, 10:22:09 PM »
Through an odd set of circumstances I am in possession of a "spare" TS 40 complete upper.  It seems to fit nicely on one of my standard 75 SA frames except the ejector blocks it from coming fully to the rear.  Is it possible to modify one of these to get it to work without sacrificing the use of the 9mm slide?

JW

Offline adrian

Re: Use a 40 TS slide on a standard 75 SA 9 Frame
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 10:43:47 PM »
     Hiya and thx for the thread. I've seen the mod dome several times and shown off here at the fourm. I recall some mods are to accept both sizes of mags, but give czc a call in the am,or pm stuart here,or drop an email to him from the web site there. Enjoy. Be well.

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 06:38:52 PM »

This is .40 TS slide that has been modified to work on an SP01 frame.  There are a few things that need to be done to allow this.  For starters, the dustcover on a standard TS slide is I believe a bit too wide to fit into the forward frame of a standard CZ75 or SP01.  So either the slide's dustcover has to be milled down a bit to fit, or the inner of the forward frame needs to be widened/ground out a bit to accept.  I believe the dimensions on a 'Bull' shadow slide require the same thing, as noted on the CZ Custom website....

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/barrels-complete-upper/cz-75-bull-upper-fix.html

Also, a bit of a TS barrel's underlug (IIRC) needs to be shortened to reliably lock up with a CZ75/SP01 frame.  Lastly, according to Himurax13, the member here from whom I bought the slide pictured above, a .40-caliber's extractor needs to be tuned a bit to reliably extract 9mm cases when using a 9mm barrel (I use both .40 and 9mm with this one). 

So this is some substantial work, and this was all done (dustcover milled down, frame is standard/unmodded) before I bought this slide.  It works great and I love this format so much that I sold both a Shadow 2 and Tactical Sport Blue, as this covered those needs.  CZ has had several 'longside' models like this (CTS, now the Bull Shadows, etc).  Nice thing as well is that the .40 and 9mm magazines are exactly the same...same everything, feed lips, springs, followers.  Also, I can easily swap out a standard SP01 Shadow's normal slide on this same frame as well if I want.

As of this writing, I have another TS-base longside ordered from CZ Custom, milled for a red dot so I can switch 'uppers' between irons and optics.  I love this gun...in .40 I can shoot it in USPSA for Limited-Major, in 9mm makes a great platform for steel and plates.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 06:50:00 PM by MoRivera »

Offline Fuzzy Sights

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 07:04:40 PM »
Glad to know it is possible.  With all the work involved I now wonder is it just cheaper to buy a TSO in 40 S&W.  Realize I am asking for a SWAG, but what would this cost?  I was thinking of using the rig a combination 9mm Bullseye pistol and 40 S&W for bowling pin matches.  Currently using a 9mm for bowling pins and when I am less than perfect it does not take them off the table with one shot.  Guys shooting 200 and 180gr 40s with light loads do not seem to have the same problem.

Thanks for all the information.  Greatly appreciate the feed back.

JW

Nice looking SP-01!

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 07:06:59 PM »
You could probably just contact Stuart at CZ Custom and tell him what you want to do, and get an idea of work/cost.

Oh and I hear you on the pins....had a Class 3/PCC bowling pins match this past weekend.  My 9mm wasn't really clearing the table very well, especially with all the bullets already imbedded in the pins...whereas the guys shooting .45 were doing much better with less shots.

Offline Fuzzy Sights

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 11:06:49 PM »
Interim solution is to use VV 3N38 and 147gr bullets.  Baseline load is 1100 fps and pretty soft on recoil.  Will try to bump it up a couple 10ths of a grain to get to 1150fps.  Match is next weekend.  200gr 40 cal would do the job at just 825 fps, and be a lot less recoil, and thus a lot faster getting 5 pins off the table.  Competing against a guy who can routinely clear a table in 5 shots in more or less 2 seconds.  Granted his 38 Super has a comp. that looks like it belongs on a .50 cal.  Will call CZ Custom on Monday.  Might turn into another fun project or may force me to take the leap on a 40 S&W TSO.

JW

Offline George16

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 11:19:52 PM »
Let me know if you want to sell it so I canine it on my TSO. Thanks

Offline Fuzzy Sights

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 01:44:55 PM »
George16,
Sent you a PM.

JW

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 04:24:54 PM »

So this was milled by CZ Custom for the red dot, and its base model is a .40SW CZ long slide that is supposed to fit on a CZ75/SP01 frame.  When I first put it on, there was a hangup as it slid about 2/3 way on.  Checked dustcover measurements et al, seemed fine and it was a bit tough tracking down where the rub was.  Luckily, I had my existing iron-sighted TS slide to check and compare, and it turned out to be a channel on the underside the was contacting an area on that sear cage.  The pic below is the existing slide (that was already fit for a frame when I bought it), and at the indicated area you can see some minor filing down. 

I matched that as well as I could on the new slide and everything functioned fine.  Also took about .01" off the extractor area described earlier, put a 9mm barrel in, took her to the range and all was good.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 04:29:05 PM by MoRivera »

anything