Author Topic: Loaded chamber indicator?  (Read 3438 times)

Offline zormpas

• Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    • Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
Re: Loaded chamber indicator?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 11:11:34 PM »
I was brought up to treat all firearms as though they are loaded. Even if you verify that it is unloaded, it is still "loaded". My father's mantra was, "There is no such thing as an unloaded gun!". If every firearm is ALWAYS loaded, what the heck is the point of an LCI ? I know the gun is "loaded" and always treat it so.
Yes, yes, yes, yes.

All true enough - but when I'm at the firing line, I like some visual confirmation that a round is in the chamber. I use mine more like a "ready to fire" indicator. LCI up? Ready to fire. LCI down? Better check the gun because it should have locked back. Its another tool, not a circumvention of firearms safety.

Offline john seeley

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 01:02:10 PM »
I use my LCI at the range as well. Just a habit I guess. I don't look but quickly feel before I fire the first round. I've LIGHTLY oiled my LCI.. the last thing I want is for it to malfunction. What are your thoughts on lubing this? Thx.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 03:22:20 PM »
I would take it out before I'd lube it but I would not oil it for the same reason I would not oil the extractor.
Attracts dirt - dirt makes it fail.
But on the other hand if it fails then you have to treat the gun as if it were always loaded and not rely on a little do dad to ….hey that sounds fimiliar

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline john seeley

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 05:20:10 PM »
I would take it out before I'd lube it but I would not oil it for the same reason I would not oil the extractor.
Attracts dirt - dirt makes it fail.
But on the other hand if it fails then you have to treat the gun as if it were always loaded and not rely on a little do dad to ….hey that sounds fimiliar

RCG

Appreciate it. Thanks.

Offline HollowDawg

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 07:24:48 AM »
I was brought up to treat all firearms as though they are loaded. Even if you verify that it is unloaded, it is still "loaded". My father's mantra was, "There is no such thing as an unloaded gun!". If every firearm is ALWAYS loaded, what the heck is the point of an LCI ? I know the gun is "loaded" and always treat it so.
Yes, yes, yes, yes.

All true enough - but when I'm at the firing line, I like some visual confirmation that a round is in the chamber. I use mine more like a "ready to fire" indicator. LCI up? Ready to fire. LCI down? Better check the gun because it should have locked back. Its another tool, not a circumvention of firearms safety.

I can see it's purpose as a "ready to fire" indicator, but then you miss that wonderful moment when you forget to chamber a round, the "click" indicating advancing idiocy, and the quick look around to see if anyone saw you being "dumbguy". Not to mention the "Dang! Do I really flinch that much!?". ;D

Offline john seeley

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2019, 12:16:09 PM »
So how do you remove the LCI to clean it?  Do you need to unscrew it from the top? If so, I guess you need a special tool that gets into those notches?  Thanks.

Offline Texas377

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 12:40:50 PM »
So how do you remove the LCI to clean it?  Do you need to unscrew it from the top? If so, I guess you need a special tool that gets into those notches?  Thanks.

I'll bet you could find that information here!   ;D

https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/19624_Cz-75-Series-Pistols-W-Decocker-Armorers-Manual
CZ Compact PCR
Sig Sauer P320
Ruger LCP
Others, etc.

Offline viking499

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »
Got a flat blade screwdriver and a grinder or Dremel?

Offline john seeley

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
Thanks!  I also found something here about using a screwdriver and notching out the center of it: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=98451.msg760742#msg760742
Thx.

anything