Author Topic: Recently purchased P-01 issue  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Saami_Says

Recently purchased P-01 issue
« on: May 03, 2019, 08:25:17 PM »
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and just picked up my first CZ which is a P-01 steel frame.
The reason I am posting this is because I have run into an issue with it that I was wondering if anyone else has experienced.
The problem is the slide stop just barely engages the magazine follower and unfortunately every time I insert an empty magazine into the pistol and pull the slide back the follower rises passed the slide stop which prevents the slide from locking back but also makes the magazine difficult to remove.
Something that I noticed that has made it slightly worse is I swapped the magazine release because I am left handed. The catch now pushes the magazine away from the slide stop while inserting it until it is locked in place instead of towards the slide stop like it would with the catch on the left side.
The issue is present either way, engagement is minimal but much more noticeable with the mag catch reversed.
I recently purchased a new slide stop and installed it thinking maybe the original was machined too short but this did not help. Both magazines also offer the same results so I am less inclined to believe it is a mag issue. I am not new to firearms but wanted to see if anyone else has run into this and if so what the fix was?
I really appreciate any helpful feedback.
Thanks!

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Recently purchased P-01 issue
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 06:28:52 AM »
Never had that issue.  I have multiple compacts with magazines from 14 to 19 rounds in use. 

Only mag. issue I've had is 3 new magazines not pushing the slide lock into a fully upward position when locking the slide back on an empty magazine.  New/higher power springs solved that, but it doesn't sound like it would help you.

And I had one of those steel framed P01 looking CZ75 compacts and shot it a bit and never had issues with it.

When you say the follower never makes contact with the slide lock are you talking about the flat ledge (below the angled nose of the follower) on the left side of the follower?

Thought I had a picture of the follower at the top of the magazine, but there's a bullet in the way (different problem someone was having.)
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 06:41:19 AM »
Call CZ USA and explain the problem.They will take care of you. Never heard of such an issue with a CZ.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 07:04:03 AM »
Reference picture for top of follower.

Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Saami_Says

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 10:24:57 AM »
Thanks for the responses!
Here are a few pics of the problem. The shelf on the follower that is cut out specifically for contact with the slide stop misses the slide stop. I think I probably will send this back to CZ.

It is really only a problem when inserting an empty mag with the slide closed. It will almost always miss the follower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 06:56:58 PM »
I'd contact CZ-USA and email those pics to them.That may just be an out of spec slide stop and maybe they could just send you a replacement. Definitely make them aware of that.

Offline cousinmark

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 12:44:00 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 110%
...somethings a hair out of whack. I know its not what you want to hear bur my $.02 would be to send the entire pistol in and let them check everything over. It could well be a the slide stop but...
Part of what you paid for was a manufacturers warranty, use it.
    Again, JMO

Offline Saami_Says

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 12:51:12 PM »
Well, I guess this will be going back tomorrow so they can look at it. I hate to send it off but I agree that it?s something that needs further inspection. I appreciate all of the feedback and I will update once more info is available.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline spitfire007

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 01:42:12 PM »
I sent off a used P01 I?d bought at a gun show. Looked new barely used. Had issues and called CZ USA. They asked me to send it in, and shipped a brand new one back to me.
How?s that for customer service!

Offline Saami_Says

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 04:51:44 PM »
Just as an update, I sent my P-01 back to CZ to address the issue mentioned above. They had it for 6 weeks, replaced the slide stop just as I had and sent it back with only one of the two magazines I sent. I called them and luckily they were able to find it and shipped it back to me, arriving a few days later. The issue is still present and has not been resolved. I guess it’s just something I’ll have to live with. The major annoyance with it is it prevents the magazines from falling out and they have to be stripped out by hand. Otherwise I love the pistol. I love the way it feels, shoots and looks.
Again, thanks for all of the input from everyone.

Offline David0408

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 12:47:06 PM »
Uhhhh, that’s unacceptable. I’d call them back with a little more vigor this time. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Mercs

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 11:34:33 PM »
Sell sell sell (pm me)

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 04:56:05 AM »
Just as an update, I sent my P-01 back to CZ to address the issue mentioned above. They had it for 6 weeks, replaced the slide stop just as I had and sent it back with only one of the two magazines I sent. I called them and luckily they were able to find it and shipped it back to me, arriving a few days later. The issue is still present and has not been resolved. I guess it’s just something I’ll have to live with. The major annoyance with it is it prevents the magazines from falling out and they have to be stripped out by hand. Otherwise I love the pistol. I love the way it feels, shoots and looks.

Something is a tad fishy here. I think it strange that they would send the gun back with such an obvious problem. Are we getting the whole story here? Have you contacted them again to address this?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 12:00:56 PM »
I no longer have a steel framed P01/CZ75 Compact that is made like a P01.

Yesterday I did grab one of my P01 Omegas and field strip it and then empty out a magazine.  There is no way I could push, twist, shove the top of the magazine far enough to get the slide stop to slip off the follower.

Are the P01 slide stops different than CZ75 Compact slide stops?  I think I read (here) that the P01 frames are thicker.  If so it seems like the slide stop would be just a tad longer (shaft and the part that engages the slide/magazine follower) to insure similar contact patches/area with the follower and the frame.

Second thing is magazines.  I've gotten a couple/six Mecgar magazines that had issues.  Mecgar makes the magazines for CZ's.  Could there be a magazine issue?  Have you tried different magazines?

For info, my magazine issues were some 19 round magazines that had slightly larger body dimensions than the others I'd bought.  And some with weak/dragging magazine springs.  That's why I suggested trying a different magazine, or two.  Easy for me, maybe not so easy for someone that doesn't have multiple pistols/magazines.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Saami_Says

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 01:22:41 PM »

Something is a tad fishy here. I think it strange that they would send the gun back with such an obvious problem. Are we getting the whole story here? Have you contacted them again to address this?

I haven’t withheld or manufactured any misleading information regarding the issue, there would be no benefit in doing so.
The only information provided on the return document was that the slide stop was replaced and it function fired good. I called after getting it back in the hopes of getting more information but didn’t get a return call, which I don’t hold against them because I’m not under the illusion that I’m their only customer. I am not bashing CZ, if I was it would be quite a bit more obvious, plus I don’t work like that.
I’m not typically a forum poster but I was hoping that I would find that someone had seen this issue and would say that CZ had a run of short slide stops or something and it be an easy fix.

With the contact I’m getting it almost always fails when inserting an empty magazine and pulling the slide back, something commonly done while performing a function check, because locking the slide back whether firing or not is a function of the firearm. It does however manage to lock the slide open a majority of the time when firing. With this said, it is only barely doing so by the edge of the follower, which is going to wear quickly due to the small contact surface area and it being metal against polymer. I foresee it failing more once it sees more use.
My initial post was prior to having fired it yet, so I was going off how it functioned manually. I was surprised to find that it did lock the slide back while firing but it’s still an issue nonetheless and concerning because of the lack of contact and the potential of being a regular issue down the road.
Here is a photo of the followers themselves which shows the tiny contact mark when it does make contact.

To answer the second question, I have only tried the two magazines that were included with the pistol but I’m looking at getting more. I’m sitting at 3 different slide stops through the pistol so far with no change.  Was there ever a longer slide stop?
Thank you

anything