Author Topic: Great advice..  (Read 2667 times)

Offline motorcyclist

Re: Great advice..
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 12:05:24 PM »
Some have rather fanciful ideas of what a break in would be like. Stalking burglars in the dark. Really!? Some of these small flashlights are brighter than all my house fixtures turned on! So... just turn on the lights! In my 1500 square foot open floor plan house it doesn't take much to illuminate everything but the bedrooms. What burglar is going to hang around when your bedroom light goes on? Especially in my State where shotguns out number people. And speaking of shotguns, if I should hear a window break in the middle of the night, I'm not grabbing a pistol.
Something to think about. 27% of burglaries happen while somebody is home. 65% of the those the burglar knew the victim! Think about who you associate with.

Offline radagast

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 08:51:14 PM »
    I'm in NJ, ie NO CARRY !  10,000 lumens of perimeter security lights are enough to waken me(armed), the Wife(armed), The dog, a 105db cockatoo, And the closest neighbor !  If they're still intent on entry, I'll see them while they're still visually impaired !  I do however have additional illumination readily available.
"Let there be light"  and there was muzzle flash !

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 07:47:05 AM »
Some have rather fanciful ideas of what a break in would be like. Stalking burglars in the dark. Really!? Some of these small flashlights are brighter than all my house fixtures turned on! So... just turn on the lights! In my 1500 square foot open floor plan house it doesn't take much to illuminate everything but the bedrooms. What burglar is going to hang around when your bedroom light goes on? Especially in my State where shotguns out number people. And speaking of shotguns, if I should hear a window break in the middle of the night, I'm not grabbing a pistol.
Something to think about. 27% of burglaries happen while somebody is home. 65% of the those the burglar knew the victim! Think about who you associate with.

That's interesting, thanks.   A deceased LEO friend said "every criminal in America knows the sound of a 870 being racked"  He of course gave a demonstration with his words.  Clicking the safety off a Benelli or pistol does not have the same mental effect. I like a weapon light.  People can argue it makes you a target, or whatever.  I am worried about weapon retention, preventing a situation, and identifying your target.   It's a paradox of thinking to me people will carry a striker fired Glock, but not a weapon light.  I just don't understand.

Offline cousinmark

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 08:57:40 AM »
    As far as lights go I believe in PROPERLY trained and disciplined hands they're an asset. On the other side of that coin I'd suppose many of the units sold are overkill for the owner. That Remington 870 would probably be a better option than a SIG P226 Legion decked out with a high power light for many. JMO...
    On lighting, modern systems allow you to turn the entire house on with your voice from in your bed if you want. Hear that "bump", tell your automated system to "flame on" and that's it. In general that's a better option than a weapon light. Again, "in general", I realize the power may be out... I'm not suggesting you toss the flashlights :-)

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 04:27:22 PM »
Bump in the night
"Alexa hit the lights....."
Grab the Mossberg 500
"Douche bag hit the floor...?."
"Alexa dial 911...?"

RCG

Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 07:02:13 PM »
I?ve been face to face with a burglar in my house in broad daylight,
with a weapon in my hand - pointed directly at him.
I told him to freeze....

He did not.

He threw down the crap he had in his hands - and ran over the back door that was broken off the door frame and laying on the kitchen floor.  I kept the weapon trained on him as he struggled to get past the destruction he?d caused on his way in.

I let him go.
I saw no weapon.
He was no threat to me at that point.
His hands were empty, and he was running away from me.
And just like that, he was gone.

Had this encounter happened at night, under poor or no light - I am not certain it would have worked out in both of our favors like it did with ample light.  The fear and anxiety factor would have been much higher.  I could have made a poor choice.  A life changing decision was made in that split second - and it was the correct decision - because I could see what was going on.  Not that my heart wasn?t doing it?s best to beat it?s way out of my chest!  Yeah, I was pissed off.  My place got trashed and I let the guy get away!  But I wasn?t going to jail or going in front of a judge and jury to tell my side of the story. I avoided all of that.

My 1200 lumen PL-2 Olight is on my P-01 for a reason.
I want EVERY opportunity to make the correct decision - EVERY TIME.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 07:31:18 PM »
 yeah automated system to turn all your lights on I don't have several thousand dollars to do that
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
yeah automated system to turn all your lights on I don't have several thousand dollars to do that

needing thousands of dollars is a good reason not to do it.....its not a necessarily a valid reason however.
You can do it for just a couple hundred bucks if you don't control every aspect of your house like your door locks, security cameras or your thermostat. Just lights and sound system is pretty inexpensive and easy. I am glad I did it where I did, its kinda cool though......that's why I did it. cool factor. I wouldn't have done it a few years ago but now I saw how easy it was and I enjoy having it.

I do also have a flashlight by the Mossberg just in case.

MadDuner, I am so glad you decided to take the road you took. And that the scum bag ran like a little girl.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline steerclr

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 08:53:28 PM »
DOC1500-another great post/topic, I was following the .380 for the daughter one.

First of all I don't have any weapon mounted lights.  Having said that, this post made me think about something I had never even considered.  Good job making us think!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 05:15:48 PM by steerclr »

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 08:55:17 PM »

needing thousands of dollars is a good reason not to do it.....its not a necessarily a valid reason however.
You can do it for just a couple hundred bucks if you don't control every aspect of your house like your door locks, security cameras or your thermostat. Just lights and sound system is pretty inexpensive and easy. I am glad I did it where I did, its kinda cool though......that's why I did it. cool factor. I wouldn't have done it a few years ago but now I saw how easy it was and I enjoy having it.

I do also have a flashlight by the Mossberg just in case.

MadDuner, I am so glad you decided to take the road you took. And that the scum bag ran like a little girl.

RCG

Thanks!

My buddies at the time called me a bleep.... but I think every one of them would probably have handled it the same way.  They might talk a big game, but Nobody is looking for an excuse to shoot somebody. 

I might just have to look into some of those remote voice command lighting options though.  I?ve watched video from my yard at night when the motion activated lights come on.... and the ?opportunists? don?t really scurry back over the wall as quickly as you would think they would.

skin

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 04:40:43 AM »
 Both military and le training here. Darkness is your friend. I use a small streamlight with 300 lums in off hand and pistol in the other. Light only comes on at the last minute.