Author Topic: what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?  (Read 2098 times)

Offline DOC 1500

Re: what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2019, 08:58:32 AM »
I bought a crossbreed purse holder carry system , kydex holster with velcro attaches to a L shaped holder  that slips into the purse . The kydex was designed for my particular pistol and they probably carry all the most popular brands . It can go from purse to purse .  :)
Looks very interesting I'll have to look more into it.
May be a good viable option for my daughter who is the fashionista of the family.
I just checked out the website on that crossbreed looks like the most viable option and best way to carry in a purse from my view. Always in the same place and secure, less chance of ND.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:16:44 AM by DOC 1500 »
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2019, 09:19:53 AM »
 moderator I think it would be a fabulous idea to make this a sticky since there is a section for holsters how about a section for women's holsters or purse holsters.
Maybe you could call the sticky carry options for women.

Online SilentRecon

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2019, 01:07:44 PM »
Glock 43.

I purchased my wife a Ruger LCP and then a S&W bodyguard in .380 because I fell into the "women need small uber compact .380 because recoil blah blah" trap. Throw that out the window now.

My wife is a petite 5'2" 110lbs and CCW the Glock 43 daily, shoots it lights out, and the others collect dust.

Reliability, Slim, and 9mm.

The Glock 43 OEM trigger is better than the latter and a better firearm all around. 

Make sure you use the correct ammo in it as not all 9mm defense ammo are designed for subcompact barrel length.  Federal HST 147g HP.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Kelsw

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2019, 01:56:50 PM »
Glock 43.

I purchased my wife a Ruger LCP and then a S&W bodyguard in .380 because I fell into the "women need small uber compact .380 because recoil blah blah" trap. Throw that out the window now.

My wife is a petite 5'2" 110lbs and CCW the Glock 43 daily, shoots it lights out, and the others collect dust.

The Glock 43 OEM trigger is better than the latter and a better firearm all around. 

Make sure you use the correct ammo in it as not all 9mm defense ammo are designed for subcompact barrel length.  Federal HST 147g HP.

I could not agree more in fact saw an example of the very thing at my local range . Small tiny guns are very difficult to shoot and hit anything !!! My Shield has a trigger safety so fumbling around in my purse for a ND is unlikely . Crossbreed holster is kydex just like a IWB carry .
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:02:45 PM by Kelsw, Reason: mistake »

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2019, 06:50:43 PM »
Glock 43.

I could not agree more in fact saw an example of the very thing at my local range . Small tiny guns are very difficult to shoot and hit anything !!! My Shield has a trigger safety so fumbling around in my purse for a ND is unlikely . Crossbreed holster is kydex just like a IWB carry .
Do you like the crossbreed panel with the holster attached that goes in your purse as well?

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2019, 01:50:35 PM »
I am not big on 380and do not own one currently. From what I have seen I would consider the M&P Shield 380EZ. If she needs something tiny, and will train on shooting it, the RUger LCP 2.

Offline Kelsw

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2019, 02:01:44 PM »
I bought the whole system (small ) and it works well and the velcro holds up . You can reposition the holster where you want as it is velcro on velcro . Anyways so far it has worked for me . 

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2019, 06:44:35 PM »
I bought the whole system (small ) and it works well and the velcro holds up . You can reposition the holster where you want as it is velcro on velcro . Anyways so far it has worked for me .
thanks for reply.sounds like a winner.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2019, 07:37:15 PM »
I bought a .380 EZ awhile back.  It's okay.  Not super excited about the groups with the FMJ or the hollow points.  I suppose, if I keep buying/trying store bought ammo, or find a nice reloads recipe for it then it might shoot better.

A couple weeks back I bought my wife a  Performance Center Shield in 9MM.  The little bugger shoots rings around the .380 EZ.

If I were to buy another small plastic framed carry gun it would be a Performance Center Shield 9MM.

I paid the same price for both.  $400 for the Shield EZ at a local gun store and $400 for the Shield 9MM Performance Center (with night sights) from Cabela's (on sale).

And, the 9MM ammo is cheaper and has a larger selection of bullet weights/types.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline mtang45

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2019, 02:50:28 PM »
I have recently come across a situation in the family where my daughter may need to start carrying a pistol.
To start off with she is already a very good shot but there will be plenty a practice in the very near future.
 she is only 5 ' 4 " and 100 pounds.
But fights like a bobcat when pushed to the Limit.
I'm thinking a 380 with  Federal HST defense rounds , would be a good size for her. She has shot my po7 and done very well, but for her lifestyle I think  a 380 would suit her much better.
I'm just starting to look at these pistols but haven't decided.
I would like to hear from those who have bought a pistol for their  daughter, and I would like to hear from those who have extensive background of using a 380 and what would you trust your daughter's life with.
1) Safety and handling , LITTLE or NO chance of accidental discharge because of poor controls or otherwise.
2)Reliability , proven weapons.
 3)Shootability, easy to operate and hold good trigger.

Based upon your #1 criteria I'm thinking a Glock anything is out for a woman to carry in her purse, unless it was a dedicated CCW purse. Pistols mingled with all the other stuff that reside in a woman's purse is only a recipe for an ND disaster. A dedicated CCW purse with a holster that covers the trigger would be best if going the Glock route.

A DA/SA pistol of caliber and size that fits your daughter is probably the best bet. One poster on here suggested that a glock 42 is double action.....it is NOT DA. A little longer learning curve than a SA only pistol but safer.

Just my 2 cents, others may not agree.

anything