Author Topic: what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?  (Read 12409 times)

Offline Earl Keese

Re: what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 06:53:42 AM »
Interesting how many guys still recommend steel framed blowback .380's for females. Just what a girl wants, heavy for size with snappy recoil. Small revolvers are unpleasant to shoot as well, 5 rounds was all it took for my wife to say no way. The only way a snubby works is if she's never going to practice/train with it.

Offline ShakyDog

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 11:03:23 AM »
My wife loves to shoot my Beretta Pico. I like it because carry it.

Steve
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:38:16 PM by ShakyDog »

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2019, 11:21:51 AM »
Hey gang, the response to my thread is almost overwhelming and I certainly do appreciate all the comments and suggestions
Keep it up this is good stuff !!! 8)
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline motorcyclist

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »
Interesting how many guys still recommend steel framed blowback .380's for females. Just what a girl wants, heavy for size with snappy recoil. Small revolvers are unpleasant to shoot as well, 5 rounds was all it took for my wife to say no way. The only way a snubby works is if she's never going to practice/train with it.

My wife choose the LCR after much shooting. She likes the simple manual of arms of a revolver, and the grip and polymer rear frame do well to lessen recoil. The trigger is nice too. It's not a S&W J frame. I keep it loaded with 125 grain Hornady standard pressure rounds and recoil isn't bad. At 15 yards she can pick a fly off a ants a&&.

Ron M.

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2019, 06:58:32 PM »

That's complete nonsense. My wife and niece both carry Ruger LCRs in 327 Federal. They both shoot and average of 200 practice rounds a month. A mix of 32Long and 32 H&R Mag. They both carry 32 H&R Mag ammo. The S&W EZ is a modified Browning locking action, very soft recoil.

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2019, 08:30:03 PM »
I have a used S&W PPK that has ran perfectly through 1000 rounds or better. It goes bang without fail, 100% of the time.  The Bersa has good reviews, especially for the money, but I have no experience with one.  The Springfield 911 is same as the Sig, but actually runs, even takes the same mags. I have 300 rounds through one without a failure.  There is always the CZ 83, but my example isn't reliable enough yet to recommend.  What fits her best and goes bang every time will be more up to her than us IMHE. 

Offline double-d

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 11:57:30 AM »
So it is settled then........ revolvers are NOT good for defensive carry.  Unsure why it took me this long to learn this.

Truly hope the little lady doesn't find out, she might instead prefer to pack pepper spray or a whistle.

eye roll

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2019, 01:36:09 PM »
Sir, the reason I started this thread was not  to hear arguments about why you think someone else's choices is wrong. Or why you think your pistol is better than theirs.
 it was started to gain information from people's experience with specific pistols which would help me and making an informed decision as to which pistols to start looking at.
You can start your own thread as to why your pistol is better than theirs or theirs is better than yours .thank you Doc .op

Offline Ruber

what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2019, 02:04:38 PM »
If you?re gonna go .380, do it up right?-

Just kidding,,,, kinda.

I like the cartridge and load for it and have tried to find a pistol that fits me.  My first was an inherited Walther, then an AMT backup then I went through a few others I don?t want to bash.

Hands down the most reliable and shootable of them was a Bersa Thunder.  Ya, its big & heavy for a .380, but worked for my family and was reliable enough I was happy with it.

Frankly, the old Browning fits me, and I can shoot it pretty well.  That matters, because I practice with it a lot because it is fun to shoot.  The AMT and little Rugers are not fun and sit in the safe.

But... that is totally an individual choice (and I wouldn?t advocate for the 1910, its just really fun for me), so I?m gonna jump on the bandwagon and say shoot as many as you two can until she gets that ?ah-ha? moment.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 01:58:39 PM by Ruber »

Offline Marty8613

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2019, 02:33:43 PM »
I?ve helped more than a few women gain experience to pick their preferences.  What they like about the Bersa Thunder is the key lock.  Though the Thunder CC or Combat I think is better for this conversation.  The regular Thunder is a bit large for their tastes most of the time.  Mine is different in that I put on a Firestorm slide to get the Glock style bucket sights and options for night sights. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2019, 04:55:00 PM »
I am boiling down the list, but will make sure that my daughter handles every one of them so she can decide..
Glock 42 - 43
Bersa Thunder *
 S&W Shield EZ *
Sig P238 SAS
Kel-Tec p3at **
I would like to lean her more toward a double action.
But again she makes the final decision as to what fits her what feels comfortable and also what she can shoot well.
Something quick easy to operate draw and shoot.
Please keep up the suggestions this is a good thread.

Offline viking499

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2019, 05:07:12 PM »
The 42 and 43 are good guns.

My wife loves her EZ.

My daughter actually likes the Ruger Security compact.  We are going to try it to see if it will last long term.  It uses 10 round mags in a fairly small platform, but will also accept the fullsize Ruger mags.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2019, 06:15:02 PM »
I am boiling down the list, but will make sure that my daughter handles every one of them so she can decide..
Glock 42 - 43
Bersa Thunder *
 S&W Shield EZ *
Sig P238 SAS
Kel-Tec p3at **
I would like to lean her more toward a double action.
But again she makes the final decision as to what fits her what feels comfortable and also what she can shoot well.
Something quick easy to operate draw and shoot.
Please keep up the suggestions this is a good thread.
Seriously,take her out and let her handle as many guns as she cares to.She may find she has no interest at all in a mouse gun/mini compact. She may find a larger gun like the P-07 or PCR is more to her liking.
My current favorite single stack is my Sig P225-A1. DA/SA just like a CZ and they are a bit pricey but man it's a comfortable gun to carry,great fit in the hand and supremely accurate.

Offline Ruber

what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2019, 06:25:24 PM »
My current favorite single stack is my Sig P225-A1. DA/SA just like a CZ and they are a bit pricey but man it's a comfortable gun to carry,great fit in the hand and supremely accurate.
Nice! I have one of the Swiss P225 with the heel release, and it is great for carry!  That mag never pops out unintentionally no matter how much it gets squeezed or bumped.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:23:48 PM by Ruber »

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2019, 08:04:11 PM »
I put a couple rounds through a buddy's P3AT a couple years ago. Back to back with a g42, it was amazing how harsh the recoil felt with the keltec. That's definitely in the shoot before you buy category. My buddy said the only reason he still had it was that he'd feel guilty selling it to somebody