Author Topic: what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?  (Read 12512 times)

Offline motorcyclist

Re: what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2019, 12:11:08 PM »
I put a couple rounds through a buddy's P3AT a couple years ago. Back to back with a g42, it was amazing how harsh the recoil felt with the keltec. That's definitely in the shoot before you buy category. My buddy said the only reason he still had it was that he'd feel guilty selling it to somebody

There's now 3 LCP's in the house, pretty much a copy of the Kel Tec P3-AT. Yes, not the easiest thing to shoot, but if you can shoot them well they make great pocket pistols. I have an original and a LCP II, my Son a 10th anniversary model. My daughter (5'8" 130lb's) has shot them, but doesn't care for them. She'll relax her grip and they will stovepipe jam. She's mentioned the LCP II is easier to shoot and less snappy with its bigger grip.
I'd like to find a range that can rent a Glock 42 and 43, and have her shoot them back to back. She shoots my Glock 26 very well.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2019, 12:40:56 PM »
Even the old LCP's are considerably nicer than the Keltec.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline Goju

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2019, 08:29:24 PM »
A couple of other options not yet mentioned - how about a Sig 290RS? I?ve only had trigger time on the 9mm, but the recoil was very manageable. I am not a big fan of SC sized pistols, but this is not for me. DA trigger stroke with re-Strike capability. Generally found at a good price point. And no love for Kahr?s? They deserve a mention due to the nice triggers and grip ergos - especially for your tyyical female sized hand.
No disrespect intended to anyone, but recommending a SA 1911 style pistol utilizing a condition 1 carry is a head scratcher for me. Especially when it sounds like it is probably not likely to be carried IWB or OWB, but maybe in a purse or pack or....it just sreams ND

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2019, 05:14:03 AM »
I have a Bersa Thunder 380 as well as a Sig 365.

The Bersa is blowback, and even though it is a little heavy, the recoil is stout because of the blowback operation. I can shoot it fine, but me wife does not like it. Follow up shots are slower. It is quite compact however, but not nearly as compact is the 365. I know you said 380, but hear me out. I am only comparing the Bersa to the Sig here.

Here are some of the my takeaways for CC use:

Bersa specs:
500g without mag, 168mm long
Single stack 380
Rear sight adjustable with screwdriver, with bright dots
SA/DA hammer with double strike and safety
You can buy wood grips for it, or laser grips

P365 specs:
465g without mag, 146mm long
Double stack 9mm
Tritium sights standard
Consistent trigger pull striker action
You can buy a laser or light for it

Pros for each gun (rather than listing pros/cons) :

P365 has a better finish and is less likely to rust
P365 is lighter and about 1" shorter than the Bersa, about the same height
P365 is more narrow due to lack of safety control
P365 you can use the mag release without shifting your grip (Bersa is 1cm away from thumb)
P365 is less expensive to train with
P365 is much easier to field strip
P365 you can buy a threaded barrel
P365 is much less likely to snag on something when being removed from a purse
P365 probably has a better warranty (I got my Bersa used, no warranty)
P365 holds a few more rounds even though it is smaller (I short the mag to keep the weight down)
P365 is easier to rack the slide because of more grip surface and there is no slide mounted safety digging into your hand
P365 is much easier to load a mag under stress due to the shape and size of the mag and magwell

Recoil is similar between both guns, maybe less on the P365
Both guns offer extended and flush mags
Both guns are accurate and equally reliable with good ammo

Bersa has a safety (if that is what you want) with decocker
Bersa sights I would say are better during daylight or in a well lit area (but not direct sunlight)
Bersa has a slightly more comfortable grip for me, but less comfortable recoil (blowback + bore axis)
Bersa mag disconnect can be easily removed
Bersa has a trigger lock (you could also call this a con)
Bersa has nickel and gold finish controls that can be purchased
Bersa design is more simple and easier to fix yourself
Bersa parts are less expensive
Bersa is easier to rack the slide if you pull the hammer first, but the safety still digs
Bersa slide release is larger and much easier to drop the slide

and the big one..
Bersa is half the cost of a P365... but if you do take it to the range often, it costs more to shoot.
After 1800 rounds the 365 is less expensive to own, and if you are considering other guns in 9mm, you can stick to a single caliber. 9mm is also obviously more terminally effective than 380, especially through heavy clothing.

If I used a purse, the Bersa has a large beavertail and a hammer which can snag. If I carry on person, the Bersa is longer and fatter and heavier and more likely to rust if you get sweat on it. Sig wins for both these scenarios. They do make a CC version of the Bersa Thunder, but it is even less comfortable to hold and shoot.

All that being said, if neither of those are a concern, both my wife and I prefer something like the P07, it is easier to grip, holds more rounds, cheaper mags, better trigger, real rail, easier to rack the slide, less recoil, more fun to shoot.

Other guns... I did NOT enjoy shooting the Glock in 380, the Walther PK380 is not even close to reliable, I think I shot a Shield and did not like that either, and those are the only other 380 I have shot in recent memory.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2019, 03:30:26 PM »
Hemi , thanks for those reviews an experienced opinions.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Ruber

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2019, 03:52:27 PM »
I?m sure I?m preaching to the choir, but make sure you are comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

When trying out different models, use the same ammo across them.  I would recommend using both what is planned for training as well as for carry.

I often see people try out soft ammo in one gun and hot ammo in another and then attribute the difference to the gun itself.

That can be hard with .380.  Our local range requires you to use their ammo in their rentals.  They only have cheap powder puff 9mm and only have expensive high pressure SD .380 auto.  Even a lightweight, subcompact 9 will feel nice in that comparison.

Anyway, have fun looking and good luck!

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2019, 08:38:29 PM »
 at the gun shop I go to that has a range, they have quite a few pistols to select from to rent and there is only a handful of Select Factory ammo that they don't allow to be shot and that includes handloads. Other than that any Factory load you want to bring is fine with them.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2019, 06:03:31 PM »
 hey guys ask your wives what's concealed carry purses they like and if you have a link that would be good. My daughter is a real girly girl and loves Style.

Ron M.

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2019, 06:17:05 PM »
Gun Tote'n Mamas, she-who-must-be-obeyed has several. There's about 80 styles and way too many colors.

https://www.gtmoriginal.com/

Susan's favorite is this model in tan:  https://www.gtmoriginal.com/products/tooled-american-cowhide-black?variant=28336642687063

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2019, 06:51:20 PM »
Gun Tote'n Mamas, she-who-must-be-obeyed has several. There's about 80 styles and way too many colors.

https://www.gtmoriginal.com/

Susan's favorite is this model in tan:  https://www.gtmoriginal.com/products/tooled-american-cowhide-black?variant=28336642687063
Thanks Ron I appreciate the info, I love the first two sentences.
I always  say,  If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2019, 10:46:35 PM »
My wife is a "purse girl". I've shown her quite a few carry purses. The nicest reply I've gotten was "eew, no". Good luck.  ;D

Offline Kelsw

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2019, 03:36:33 AM »
I bought a crossbreed purse holder carry system , kydex holster with velcro attaches to a L shaped holder  that slips into the purse . The kydex was designed for my particular pistol and they probably carry all the most popular brands . It can go from purse to purse .  :)

Offline Goju

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2019, 06:28:00 AM »
If the gun goes ?bang? while you are fishing around for it in a purse, that is a ND, not an AD. That?s on you, not the gun.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2019, 08:58:32 AM »
I bought a crossbreed purse holder carry system , kydex holster with velcro attaches to a L shaped holder  that slips into the purse . The kydex was designed for my particular pistol and they probably carry all the most popular brands . It can go from purse to purse .  :)
Looks very interesting I'll have to look more into it.
May be a good viable option for my daughter who is the fashionista of the family.
I just checked out the website on that crossbreed looks like the most viable option and best way to carry in a purse from my view. Always in the same place and secure, less chance of ND.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:16:44 AM by DOC 1500 »

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2019, 09:19:53 AM »
 moderator I think it would be a fabulous idea to make this a sticky since there is a section for holsters how about a section for women's holsters or purse holsters.
Maybe you could call the sticky carry options for women.